Now we know we’ve no divine right to be in the top flight…

Status
Not open for further replies.
The atmospheres at the end of the season were 'real' and authentic. They were generated because fans were full of adrenaline and every single second of every single game mattered. I'm not even joking when I say I felt absolutely exhausted after the Chelsea and Palace games after putting so much into them. It's not sustainable to do that week in week out, people need to get real. Nobody's going to be taking a load of smoke bombs and shouting themselves hoarse if we're playing a dead rubber in February against Bournemouth, the idea that the atmosphere can stay at this level permanently is just daft.

I've said before that all this impatience comes from bad management at board level. Tell us what the plan is, tell us how we're expected to achieve it, and play the long game. People can buy into that and accept the bumps in the road. Keep shooting your mouth off about winning stuff and being at the top of the league then you can't be surprised when fans start grumbling when you're losing every other week.

Think ultimately the Benitez appointment is what nearly killed us off simply because it created a huge toxicity in the fanbase which I reckon spread to the players. We only just about recovered after Lampard was appointed and the fans decided to really rally behind the team in the last 8 weeks.

Going forward we really need to maintain the same type of support. Swerve all of the gross negativity whenever we hit a bad patch.

I think so as well and no affinity with fan base unlike Lampard.

Not sure personally if we can continue to rely on fans like we just did, unless the imminent threat of relegation returns. There was clear and present danger, and fans responded.

With the threat gone at least for a while, it's natural for that to wane a bit though it would be great if it can be kept going to some extent.

The cold fact is there will need to be radical change upstairs for the club to have a sustainable future and get its act together.

It seems there will still be the need for fan action in some form, moreso than ever. We cannot have the board continuing to rest on their laurels. How protest and supporting the team are combined is the difficult bit.

I don’t know what’s confusing you about that to be honest

The supporters played a big part

BUT

We could have done it sooner if we’d all bought in at an earlier time

Even when we lost to norwich there was still insane complacency in some quarters and you were tarred as a “bed wetter” for saying otherwise

Was there anyone who wasn't absolutely livid after the Norwich game?

Yes but if you share a forum with regular posters for a long time you should be capable of distinguishing between genuine and valid concern and wild freak outs right?

That’s the problem. Too many have a blanket reaction to ANY concerns regardless of the context of who is making them and why

Basically, I’d like some nuance
Sure, that's fair enough but I think it highly unlikely that you'll get it. Logic and reason exists in very short supplies these days especially on social media. Even at the match some people just refuse to see reason. You only have to look at the blind rage that those of us who protested during the arsenal game received.

The atmospheres at the end of the season were 'real' and authentic. They were generated because fans were full of adrenaline and every single second of every single game mattered. I'm not even joking when I say I felt absolutely exhausted after the Chelsea and Palace games after putting so much into them. It's not sustainable to do that week in week out, people need to get real. Nobody's going to be taking a load of smoke bombs and shouting themselves hoarse if we're playing a dead rubber in February against Bournemouth, the idea that the atmosphere can stay at this level permanently is just daft.

I've said before that all this impatience comes from bad management at board level. Tell us what the plan is, tell us how we're expected to achieve it, and play the long game. People can buy into that and accept the bumps in the road. Keep shooting your mouth off about winning stuff and being at the top of the league then you can't be surprised when fans start grumbling when you're losing every other week.
Yeah I was absolutely knackered after some of them games, a lot of energy etc going in to greeting the coach then the game. I do think tho that the atmosphere in the ground can be kept fairly high, still need to get behind the team.

Excellent goading of the anti Benitez collective here and drawing out the self-styled Benitez rationalists, Mikey.

A modicum of peace and relief based harmony had broken out on GOT, this is just the thing to stoke the flames.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

People saying the FSW appointment split the fan base. It did because some knew he’d be garbage, others were woooed in by his Iberian charm.
Thankfully some fans took action and didn’t stand for the demise, but still some ‘happy Typers’ are still sure he would of saved us.
Unbelieveable

You're right that we can't consistently have atmospheres like that, but I think we need to generally be more supportive, especially when games are tight and in the balance. We're all guilty of it, but taking a deep breath is better than shouting to sub someone off after they hit a poor pass out of play.

There are two main reasons why we found ourselves in a relegation fight.

1. Our squad is not good enough to cope well with even 2 or 3 injuries to first team players.

2. We made an absolutely appalling managerial choice, even though those who run the club knew the appointment would split the club in two. Anyone who understands football even a little bit knew it was an irrational, and nonsensical appointment. Thankfully Evertonians understand football and wouldn't have it.

In the short to medium term, there isn't going to be any change is there?

Lampard has name checked all of them for praise and for supporting him since Thursday. He didn't have to say anything, and he gets plaudits for honesty. I don't see any reason to think he was being disingenuous here, even though you have to go along to get along, especially with your employer.

The best we can hope for is that him and Thelwell can be left get on with things on the football side, without interference from rats like Joorabchian and meddling from Moshiri.

That and trying to return our finances to a stable footing and running the club properly day to day.

There doesn't seen to be any prospect of boardroom change.

You're right that we can't consistently have atmospheres like that, but I think we need to generally be more supportive, especially when games are tight and in the balance. We're all guilty of it, but taking a deep breath is better than shouting to sub someone off after they hit a poor pass out of play.
Yeah, as I said I think a reset of expectations is needed and that would help with that type of thing. When you start the season thinking you're going to be in with a shout of finishing top 4 and then find yourself losing at home to the likes of Burnley, Fulham, Sheffield United etc then a bit of frustration is hardly unexpected. If we're a bit clearer about where we're really at then people can let it go a bit more. Similarly if you've got young players who can get better (and are already technically good) it's a bit easier to stomach than when you're watching an expensive journeyman like Keane or Doucoure misplace their 157th pass of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.