Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

….can’t say I’ve watched Tarkowski much, interested in his mobility and pace. Seems a proper, old fashioned defender to me, not sure how he’d fit in a back 3.

Mina would leave if he doesn’t want to see out his deal. i like Branthwaite but I wonder if he might be one the club would let go, even in respect of a loan to get his wages off the books. Keane and Holgate won’t be going anywhere.

Do people think we have peak Nesta and Maldini or something?

Our centre halves were absolutely diabolical this season. They could barely win a header in certain games.

Obviously you don't watch football if you think Tarkowski isn't an improvement.
My Nan is an improvement, the more I think about tarkowski the more I think it’s a good deal

What do you mean 'happen' though? I'm not talking about their legs going and their form completely falling off a cliff, I'm just saying it's not uncommon for them to have already peaked and now be on the way down.

I'd say it is probably fair to say Tarkowski has peaked. The hope would be he can maintain his level, or close to it for 3-4 years and the decline wouldn't be that big.
I would say though, he is better than what we have, but perhaps more importantly gives us a lot of the things we are missing as a team.

The point you make is a fair one. You can't have an entire strategy based around inflated wages of lads in their late 20's on bosmans. But sometimes there are circumstances that are the exceptions to that rule.

Show me when a top team starts regularly raiding relegated teams for their players and I’ll concede
The thing is though that top teams don’t need to take that high risk/reward - they can go for safer choices.

Unfortunately we aren’t in that position, we are going to have to take some risks given the shocking way we have spent our money when we had it.

Not claiming Il’ve watched him loads but if Tarkowski can stay fit and organize for a set piece it would seem to be an upgrade on what we have currently.

He had a good run for a few years, but missed basically missed half of this season.

I am biased because I watch him for NI, but he is as reliable as it gets. I was pretty confused we never went for him when he was available, considering some of the players we did recruit.

Tarkowski feels a bit like Evans to me. We looked closely at Evans under Allardyce and should have taken the plunge with hindsight.

Do people think we have peak Nesta and Maldini or something?

Our centre halves were absolutely diabolical this season. They could barely win a header in certain games.

Obviously you don't watch football if you think Tarkowski isn't an improvement.

Tarkowski is better than our CB's, he is one of Burnley best players, who finished marginally below us.
More importantly, he gives us attributes we are missing. Experience, leadership, power, aerial ability etc. Godfrey is not miles behind, but he's sort of the opposite.

….can’t say I’ve watched Tarkowski much, interested in his mobility and pace. Seems a proper, old fashioned defender to me, not sure how he’d fit in a back 3.

Mina would leave if he doesn’t want to see out his deal. i like Branthwaite but I wonder if he might be one the club would let go, even in respect of a loan to get his wages off the books. Keane and Holgate won’t be going anywhere.

I saw United linked with Brainthwaite. If someone came in, and tested our resolve with a 15m bid, it may be too tempting to turn down at this point.

The thing is though that top teams don’t need to take that high risk/reward - they can go for safer choices.

Unfortunately we aren’t in that position, we are going to have to take some risks given the shocking way we have spent our money when we had it.

Not claiming Il’ve watched him loads but if Tarkowski can stay fit and organize for a set piece it would seem to be an upgrade on what we have currently.
The shocking spend has been the result of poor planning and that has led us to over pay for poor players; many of whom who have never played at the top end of football. Some of whom have been constantly involved in some form of relegation battle

I’d be absolutely bemused if we offered a 29 year old, average premier league player £90k a week when we are already (or very close to) breaching spending rules

Status
Not open for further replies.