Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frees come on high wages, that's why they aren't 'free' and why players wait until their contract is out if they back their own ability / demand.

If it makes people happier, do some maths, transfer fee of £15m and take it off the wages.

We need a CB, Tarkowski seems a good bet - of course even good bets can be lost.

Maybe after this 'safe' signing they can take a few gambles.

Personally think we need the DM too.

Those were all - give or take Targett - were all January window avoid relegation at all costs moves.
And? We literally don't have money to spend on fees and have found a player that improves our starting 11. Both teams you have named, in the last 6 months, have been signing older players to improve their starting 11.

Newcastle can target who they like as they have hundreds of millions available to do so because of a stingy previous owner. It's not really comparable. But they were still heavily linked in being after tarkowski.

Both clubs are also going to be rinsed for transfer fees as well. Especially newcastle. I mean £25m for wood.

If a player is better than what we have at present, and is available for us to get without breaking the financial rules then we should get them.

We are in a period of consolidation for a while, once the new ground is open I can see some serious spending going on.

I like this part of a signing where we make definitive judgements on crystal balls about the player, so posters of the future can vault you all when the player has prolonged fluctuations of form. I’m gonna go heavy on any of you going too much either way.

FFP, it’s not something I’ve ever studied or been arsed about. But there are so many mentions of it in this and the transfers thread, that I want to try and understand it. In very simple terms, can someone please explain why we are now shopping at Lidl and yet the likes of Newcastle appear to be able to spend zillions? Is it mainly because we’ve spent half a billion on crap who earn high wages? What are the basic rules?

When all we can do is watch and wait, signing off on four years seems that bit more crazy.
I’m not going to comment either way on his suitability. It’s a new recruitment team in an entirely different situation.

We have a need to improve areas of the squad with no transfer budget and in that sense Tarkowski fits the bill. We’re not in a strong negotiating position. we haven’t got any viable alternatives and we need to be able to field a team come August.

The next season is primarily about survival. The FFP situation should start to ease after that.

I’m not going to comment either way on his suitability. It’s a new recruitment team in an entirely different situation.

We have a need to improve areas of the squad with no transfer budget and in that sense Tarkowski fits the bill. We’re not in a strong negotiating position. we haven’t got any viable alternatives and we need to be able to field a team come August.

The next season is primarily about survival. The FFP situation should start to ease after that.
If we don’t have ANY viable alternatives, after this being a position we’ve needed to improve for a while, I’d be even more worried about our recruitment prospects.

I like this part of a signing where we make definitive judgements on crystal balls about the player, so posters of the future can vault you all when the player has prolonged fluctuations of form. I’m gonna go heavy on any of you going too much either way.

James Turdowski more like

Newcastle and Villa didn't want him. Newcastle are going after younger players with potential and trying to reduce squad age and Villa are aiming up market. Tarkowski had one game left in town really.

If it really is 120k per week I'd have this as a catastrophic bit of business showing lessons have not been learned. We have no business paying anyone anything near that amount and Tarkowski is simply a very average centre back that would not get into any non-promoted side bar Leeds and Southampton and just possibly Brentford.

I mean are Newcastle doing that. Seen they're signing Targett who's 27 at the start if next season. Add to that Wood, Trippier etc.

The fact that Moyes was willing to pay over £25m for him 18 months ago is a great sign as he is a good judge of defenders. They have signed Zouma and Dawson since otherwise I think he would have been back in for him.

Not sure I get the dislike for this as he will instantly be our best CB (at least of those that play regularly)

Status
Not open for further replies.