New Everton Stadium Discussion

So are you trying to say that a rectractable roof makes a stadium iconic :confused: It might make it different from other stadiums but certainly not iconic.

I'm not sure how you can compare the design of Bramley Moore with other grounds in the country? It's absolutely nothing like any other. Show me another ground that looks like Bramley Moore? Externally there's nothing like it I've seen before and even internally it will be instantly recognisable with the roof and glazed ends offering views over the City.

From a design perspective it might not be up there with some other stadiums in the world but that's subjective. In my opinion the stadium coupled with the location will make it iconic.

Granted I wish we'd have stuck with the bigger capacity. It was certainly better and more imposing. Hopfully we won't come to regret it!

Not exactly. I think it would be unique. In the world of English league football. When I first saw the Lucas Oil Stadium when all this started to emerge
I was hooked on the roof and the internal quirky design and multiple tiers. The outside is a bit harsh BMD will be far better. But the roof would have been
ace. It's the internal structure that I like. 65-69000 variable capacity. That would have been some statement. Some show of ambition.

I think BMD is okay. I don't think it's Iconic. It looks very generic. Sadly due to our CEO at the time I don't think it was ever going to be anything out of this world. It's also not quite what the first plans were at St Lukes.

How is it not iconic? What other stadium looks like Bramley Moore?

Granted it's not the 'Birds Nest' in Beijing but it's still a fantastic looking stadium.

Ignoring the inside, which is difficult to make iconic given it comprises a pitch and some seating like every other stadium in the world, what would you class as iconic?

The externals have no effect on how the stadium performs. Some of the most famous and iconic stadia are actually noted for the simplicity or even austerity of their exteriors.

I can understand some people's reservations. We're spending a lot of money and BMD is a relatively basic Bowl. One of the main selling points was supposed to be the large home end that was promised. It is now literally only 2 rows deeper than the combined upper and lower Gwladys St stand. Although the added corner sections add capacity, the scale of the original proposed stand has been watered down. The other end almost appears to be an adlibbed stocking filler. Its upper tier is quite small and is so distant from the roof for it to have little to no atmosphere enhancing benefits. The number of boxes is tiny compared to ALL of our competitors.

However, sometimes less is more and hopefully that'll be the resultant effect.

What's the point of a retractable roof though? This isn't hosting tennis on grass... It'd never get used or make any difference to being selected for other events, but it would likely cost tens-hundreds of millions more. I don't see that being 'iconic', I'd maybe see it as 'unique' in this sport, but there's a reason that no other football stadium in weekly use has a retractable roof.

What's the point of a retractable roof though? This isn't hosting tennis on grass... It'd never get used or make any difference to being selected for other events, but it would likely cost tens-hundreds of millions more. I don't see that being 'iconic', I'd maybe see it as 'unique' in this sport, but there's a reason that no other football stadium in weekly use has a retractable roof.
Exactly, aren’t roofed stadiums in the states used more for teams with hotter weather as opposed to stopping rain, snow etc. what would we use it for? A couple of weeks of Xmas/January to stop some potential 2 inches of snow. Waste of money.

If its a massive change, then it changes the entire look….hope its nothing too dramatic, as that original roof design was stunning.
It’s not noticeable. Nobody would have noticed if the documents didn’t say that the curve of the roof was 4ft lower to bring it under a threshold for building height (medium v tall).

Christ, the misery on this thread is something to behold. We are getting an incredible new stadium. Enjoy it, you miserable &@&&

We're all entitled to our opinion. The location IS part of being "Iconic". But that isn't the stadium. So it isn't the iconic part at all.

What I found was whilst I was initially underwhelmed with Meis first reveal at St Lukes, there were some aspects that I WANTED incorporated in the new stadium, it grew on me. For me it would be iconic if it had a retractable roof. Or looked different to other 'generic grounds' in this country. Which is what I anticipated with it being an American architect. It's kind of lost its awe for me since it has been made smaller for different reasons. Since it has had changes made internally.
The outside might be great. Will have to see what the final result is.

Meis's own Miller Park (baseball) or the Lucas Oil Stadium (American football) below both with retractable roof's by the way. Not that my opinion matters one iota but I don't think it's iconic enough.

View attachment 170482View attachment 170485

None of those pictured are “iconic” the bottom one looks like stamfrod bridge.

I've always half-jokingly said the design looks like it could be for a leisure centre in Uttoxeter. But the location is everything with this build. Always has been.

I know there's other stadiums on riversides that look like a generic bowl and aren't transformed by it, but this waterfront is different. It's world class and the stadium as a part of that is going to look the business; the camera shots of the stadium and the nearby city centre are going to be spectacular.

The reservations on size and design are valid, but it'll be iconic.

Hydroponics should mean a roof doesn't even have to be retractable. Saddens me a bit that an indoor stadium isn't to be another Everton first. There would be many benefits to an indoor stadium.

Having said that, I'm still happy with the plans as they are. Just think that would have been awesome.

Some bizarre opinions being banded about here.

It’ll be the best-looking stadium in the league - and it won’t even be close.
My only concern is the open look to the back of the stands. I hope that doesn't reduce the scale of the stadium and make it seem less imposing. I guess only time will tell.

Drive past quite a bit ,love it gonna be great my only concern is traffic coming to the stadium its gonna be a problem, no matter what they do also think reducing lanes on the strand opposite the liver building is a joke anyway but won't help toffees coming that end of the city imo big access decisions hopefully are going to be sorted ?

The externals have no effect on how the stadium performs. Some of the most famous and iconic stadia are actually noted for the simplicity or even austerity of their exteriors.

I can understand some people's reservations. We're spending a lot of money and BMD is a relatively basic Bowl. One of the main selling points was supposed to be the large home end that was promised. It is now literally only 2 rows deeper than the combined upper and lower Gwladys St stand. Although the added corner sections add capacity, the scale of the original proposed stand has been watered down. The other end almost appears to be an adlibbed stocking filler. Its upper tier is quite small and is so distant from the roof for it to have little to no atmosphere enhancing benefits. The number of boxes is tiny compared to ALL of our competitors.

However, sometimes less is more and hopefully that'll be the resultant effect.

I'm really puzzled by peoples reservations over the stadium. It is, by and large, visually the same stadium that was initially presented. I accept that the capacity has been reduced which has impacted on the South stand in particular and there have also been other tweaks to the design, not all necessarilly for the better. However, to call it a basic bowl is a bit of a stretch.

The north stand is like it is due to space constraints, hence why it steps down. It was like that on the 60k+ stadium and it's the same on the current version.

Limiting the number of boxes was a conscious decision, they're providing premium packages in other ways such as the Loge seating and more lounges. There will be more of a demand for those packages than boxes. Not sure why this is seen as a negative?

Hydroponics should mean a roof doesn't even have to be retractable. Saddens me a bit that an indoor stadium isn't to be another Everton first. There would be many benefits to an indoor stadium.

Having said that, I'm still happy with the plans as they are. Just think that would have been awesome.
Well seeing as we can only fit a 5 a side pitch in the boundaries of the stands, we might as well just turn it into a leisure centre :D

I'm really puzzled by peoples reservations over the stadium. It is, by and large, visually the same stadium that was initially presented. I accept that the capacity has been reduced which has impacted on the South stand in particular and there have also been other tweaks to the design, not all necessarilly for the better. However, to call it a basic bowl is a bit of a stretch.

The north stand is like it is due to space constraints, hence why it steps down. It was like that on the 60k+ stadium and it's the same on the current version.

Limiting the number of boxes was a conscious decision, they're providing premium packages in other ways such as the Loge seating and more lounges. There will be more of a demand for those packages than boxes. Not sure why this is seen as a negative?

I mean it's by the by now anyway no point crying over spilt milk.

Personally, I think it could have been "more iconic". It's a once in a life time generation move. I think we've been asked to settle for something less
than we should have.

I mean it's by the by now anyway no point crying over spilt milk.

Personally, I think it could have been "more iconic". It's a once in a life time generation move. I think we've been asked to settle for something less
than we should have.
Mate it's gonna be amazing, what's the problem on the waterfront that lot over the park will be seething telling ye.