New Everton Stadium Discussion

I mean it's by the by now anyway no point crying over spilt milk.

Personally, I think it could have been "more iconic". It's a once in a life time generation move. I think we've been asked to settle for something less
than we should have.
Disagree personally. I think it’ll be incredible as it lines up on the cities skyline. You can’t please everyone though it just comes down to individual taste.

I think it will look amazing, my only issue whatsoever would be capacity, but 52k should be full every week and I’d rather that than 60k with loads of empty seats as we average 55.

The unbearableness of social media for ‘Emptihad’

Disagree personally. I think it’ll be incredible as it lines up on the cities skyline. You can’t please everyone though it just comes down to individual taste.

I think it will look amazing, my only issue whatsoever would be capacity, but 52k should be full every week and I’d rather that than 60k with loads of empty seats as we average 55.

The unbearableness of social media for ‘Emptihad’
Got to agree my issue would be a game in the league Cup against say Rotherham, sorry Rotherham no offence but we would be so bare imo,midweek games would be a issue imo in general

I've always half-jokingly said the design looks like it could be for a leisure centre in Uttoxeter. But the location is everything with this build. Always has been.

I know there's other stadiums on riversides that look like a generic bowl and aren't transformed by it, but this waterfront is different. It's world class and the stadium as a part of that is going to look the business; the camera shots of the stadium and the nearby city centre are going to be spectacular.

The reservations on size and design are valid, but it'll be iconic.

Irrelevant, cos it’s defo getting called in, right?

(Joking, as I thought it probably would as well)

The externals have no effect on how the stadium performs. Some of the most famous and iconic stadia are actually noted for the simplicity or even austerity of their exteriors.

I can understand some people's reservations. We're spending a lot of money and BMD is a relatively basic Bowl. One of the main selling points was supposed to be the large home end that was promised. It is now literally only 2 rows deeper than the combined upper and lower Gwladys St stand. Although the added corner sections add capacity, the scale of the original proposed stand has been watered down. The other end almost appears to be an adlibbed stocking filler. Its upper tier is quite small and is so distant from the roof for it to have little to no atmosphere enhancing benefits. The number of boxes is tiny compared to ALL of our competitors.

However, sometimes less is more and hopefully that'll be the resultant effect.
It's a no from me and for that reason I'm out. You're going to have to try and convince the other dragon's.

The externals have no effect on how the stadium performs. Some of the most famous and iconic stadia are actually noted for the simplicity or even austerity of their exteriors.

I can understand some people's reservations. We're spending a lot of money and BMD is a relatively basic Bowl. One of the main selling points was supposed to be the large home end that was promised. It is now literally only 2 rows deeper than the combined upper and lower Gwladys St stand. Although the added corner sections add capacity, the scale of the original proposed stand has been watered down. The other end almost appears to be an adlibbed stocking filler. Its upper tier is quite small and is so distant from the roof for it to have little to no atmosphere enhancing benefits. The number of boxes is tiny compared to ALL of our competitors.

However, sometimes less is more and hopefully that'll be the resultant effect.

You make it sound terrible.

Yeh looks like most other modern bowls! ?

It's going to be one of the most iconic, best looking stadiums in the world
DA2F7262-003D-4C03-B380-4A168954E8E8.jpeg

I'm really puzzled by peoples reservations over the stadium. It is, by and large, visually the same stadium that was initially presented. I accept that the capacity has been reduced which has impacted on the South stand in particular and there have also been other tweaks to the design, not all necessarilly for the better. However, to call it a basic bowl is a bit of a stretch.

The north stand is like it is due to space constraints, hence why it steps down. It was like that on the 60k+ stadium and it's the same on the current version.

Limiting the number of boxes was a conscious decision, they're providing premium packages in other ways such as the Loge seating and more lounges. There will be more of a demand for those packages than boxes. Not sure why this is seen as a negative?
Exactly

Exec boxes are not as desired as they were. The experience of dining then going to a plush seat with a bit more atmosphere is seen as better

What's the point of a retractable roof though? This isn't hosting tennis on grass... It'd never get used or make any difference to being selected for other events, but it would likely cost tens-hundreds of millions more. I don't see that being 'iconic', I'd maybe see it as 'unique' in this sport, but there's a reason that no other football stadium in weekly use has a retractable roof.
A retractable roof would not cost hundreds of millions. Feyenoord's proposed new stadium had 10k more seats, 3 tiers, far more boxes and a closing roof for less than £500m. Lille in France have this facility plus similar capacity for less than our outlay (taking inflation into account).

There are lots of benefits for such. Firstly, the resulting flexibility makes it a far more obvious choice for the major events that Anfield is currently first choice for. It would instantly make it the largest indoor arena in the north of Britain probably attracting far more artists. Secondly, all the modern stadia with high roof lines like BMD suffer from offering poor to very poor cover for the first 10-20 rows of the stands during heavy rain. This could be worse for such an exposed site..... no-one likes sitting in the rain. Bilbao have had to counter this by extending the roof line and narrowing the opening.

Thirdly, it has a massive effect on the atmosphere. Anyone who has ever witnessed the Millenium stadium or the Amsterdam arena in full voice with a closed roof will know the difference it makes. In years to come there will be more fully rooved or retractable roof stadia.

Yeh looks like most other modern bowls! ?

It's going to be one of the most iconic, best looking stadiums in the world
View attachment 170510
There is absolutely nothing in country that comes close to it, aesthetically.

I genuinely don’t even see that there can be an argument about that!

I can’t even think what the runner-up would be, it stands head and shoulders above everything else.

Spurs’ ground is special inside, but it’s horrendously clad on the outside.

City’s ground was impressive in the late 90s when it was conceived, not now.

The Emirates is a mini Wembley, and its big brother only has a big arch going for it.

Old Trafford and Anfield are Frankenstein’s monsters. St James’ Park is even more lopsided than those.

Villa Park, Elland Road and Stamford Bridge are fine in a bog-standard decent PL outfit kind of way.

West Ham’s is not a football stadium…

I mean, our new ground just wins hands down.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing in country that comes close to it, aesthetically.

I genuinely don’t even see that there can be an argument about that!

I can’t even think what the runner-up would be, it stands head and shoulders above everything else.

Spurs’ ground is special inside, but it’s horrendously clad on the outside.

City’s ground was impressive in the late 90s when it was conceived, not now.

The Emirates is a mini Wembley, and its big brother only has a big arch going for it.

Old Trafford and Anfield are Frankenstein’s monsters. St James’ Park is even more lopsided than those.

Villa Park, Elland Road and Stamford Bridge are fine in a bog-standard decent PL outfit kind of way.

West Ham’s is not a football stadium…

I mean, our new ground just wins hands down.
I just wish it was going to happen

I'm really puzzled by peoples reservations over the stadium. It is, by and large, visually the same stadium that was initially presented. I accept that the capacity has been reduced which has impacted on the South stand in particular and there have also been other tweaks to the design, not all necessarilly for the better. However, to call it a basic bowl is a bit of a stretch.

The north stand is like it is due to space constraints, hence why it steps down. It was like that on the 60k+ stadium and it's the same on the current version.

Limiting the number of boxes was a conscious decision, they're providing premium packages in other ways such as the Loge seating and more lounges. There will be more of a demand for those packages than boxes. Not sure why this is seen as a negative?

For me the reservations are slight..... but we do this only once and at great expense, so I think it's fair to be able to express those concerns.

It is a relatively basic bowl. The original had 3 tiers on the sides. There is no overlapping of tiers to reduce viewing distances or give greater capacity per footprint... in plan view all stands are straight fronted. Even the corners are straight cranked sections, not curved as at say the Etihad. For the capacity, the configuration could only be more basic if it was one continuous single tier bowl. If it was the original East-West configuration, all sides probably would've been equal height. The overlay shown previously was only for North-South layouts.

As regards boxes. They still represent the ultimate in luxury and income. Arsenal have approx 146. Spurs have 80 large exec boxes, Villa have over 100, Liverpool have over 60. We have just 22 (I think). That is a massive disparity and if were supposed to maximising income it is slightly puzzling. Those other stadia also have whole elevated corporate tiers offering more exclusive and superior views. Our location might've also made boxes convertible to all-year-round hotel suites..... I don't think Loge suites offer similar flexibility nor revenue streams.