Transfer Rumour Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sideways-passing plodder and another ‘top 6’ reject…
“He’s better than what we’ve got”. I’ve heard that a lot, and look where it’s got us.
But but but he better then we got

Not hard is it
Allan 31
Gomes crap
Davies never kicked on

Me and you would be better in our midfield
We need to buy an up and coming like Brighton have done or Leicester so we can sell them 2 years down the line for profit. I can see us paying 20 min for Winks because we are that stupid

I agree that is too much but until then we cannot comment on ability Vs price.

I also, don't buy into the 'need' to buy players of a certain age with potential. I see the requirement, at this time, is players of a certain temperament, whether they are 18 or 31.

A sideways-passing plodder and another ‘top 6’ reject…
“He’s better than what we’ve got”. I’ve heard that a lot, and look where it’s got us.

Depending on the fee it's a fair shout but if it's 20m we should look elsewhere. The likes of Gomes and Allan are championship level players and we urgently need to replace them.

I also, don't buy into the 'need' to buy players of a certain age with potential. I see the requirement, at this time, is players of a certain temperament, whether they are 18 or 31.
We are in a financial mess and it isn’t getting any better soon buying players 26-30 will give us no resale value which is why we are in the current position we are in.
We have 2 players we can sell 2 out of 25 for half decent money

Hopefully we won’t buy Winks but are you telling me there isn’t a player out there who better and cheaper then Winks? You seem to think he’s incredible
Please point out where I said he was incredible?

I simply stated that people who actually work in professional football know more than biffs like us that post on football forums.

As for the availability of better players for cheaper I have no idea. Clearly, you believe you know these players.... Let the club know. They may employ you as chief scout.

Well we was linked with Longstaff in January. Winks is much better than him. Also walks in to are midfield that’s not saying a lot tho. If Lampard put his boots on he would walk in to are midfield still now. I don’t mind him if am honest. I do think there is better players we could find and get if we actually bothered looking.

Mate, we've spent the past 6 years (at least) buying slow midfielders who can't score, assist or tackle from the so called big clubs and from relegation fodder just because they can make a pretty pass once in a blue moon. Most of them have been in the second half of their playing careers and have been on massive wages. We've then spent 60-80% of the length of their contracts trying to move them on with no success because nobody will touch their wages. If we spend actual money on Winks and sign him to a multi-year contract then we have learned the sum-total of nothing these past few years. Winks will want 4 years and six figures a week, even if we barter him down to 3 years and £80K a week then we have just swapped Delph for Winks (except Delph left on a free and Levy will want £20m for Winks). It's a terrible idea.

Mate, we've spent the past 6 years (at least) buying slow midfielders who can't score, assist or tackle from the so called big clubs and from relegation fodder just because they can make a pretty pass once in a blue moon. Most of them have been in the second half of their playing careers and have been on massive wages. We've then spent 60-80% of the length of their contracts trying to move them on with no success because nobody will touch their wages. If we spend actual money on Winks and sign him to a multi-year contract then we have learned the sum-total of nothing these past few years. Winks will want 4 years and six figures a week, even if we barter him down to 3 years and £80K a week then we have just swapped Delph for Winks (except Delph left on a free and Levy will want £20m for Winks). It's a terrible idea.

I mean Levy can want what he likes. It doesnt mean we have to pay it.

We took Alli on a free, with 10m after 20 games, 20m after 60 games and the rest in add ons and milestones that wont be hit.

He is negotiating from a position of weakness. We shouldnt be paying 20m.

Please point out where I said he was incredible?

I simply stated that people who actually work in professional football know more than biffs like us that post on football forums.

As for the availability of better players for cheaper I have no idea. Clearly, you believe you know these players.... Let the club know. They may employ you as chief scout.
Our super informed professional football employees have presented us with Sandro, Tosun, Bolasie, Delph, Rondon etc.. all on massive wages. Forgive me if I have lost faith in the Everton football hierarchy in terms of their ability to talent spot.

An ongoing joke in one of my Whatsapp group has been about my annoyance towards Harry Winks and how much of an absolute ghost he is!

If I could chose one palyer i'd hate to see us linked with in the whole league its probably him, nevermind paying £20m for him to help fund Spurs' Bissouma deal (they would be basically massively upgrading for £5m)

Theres no denying he's a tidy enough footballer with his 5 yard no risk passes, but his build, his physique, his pace, his style, his running stats does not match any of that of a PL midfielder

I mean Levy can want what he likes. It doesnt mean we have to pay it.

We took Alli on a free, with 10m after 20 games, 20m after 60 games and the rest in add ons and milestones that wont be hit.

He is negotiating from a position of weakness. We shouldnt be paying 20m.
We shouldn't be paying anything at all. The only arguments I have heard in favour of Winks is that Lampard is apparently going to be playing possession football next year and Winks doesn't want rid of the ball like a hot potato and that he is better than Davies and Gomes. Hardly positivist stuff, is it?

Also, when haven't we overpaid for established talent (I use talent in the loosest sense) from the PL? Not since the Moyes years, as far as I can tell. We are not a well run club, we seemingly refuse to scout outside our own backyard - the only players we buy are from the PL, established stars from the big European leagues, and, bizarrely, from teams we have just played in Europe (that won't be a problem for a while) - we seemingly never gamble on developing our own talent, whether that be our own youth team or buying younger players from abroad. Winks is just a furtherance of this imaginationless approach.

Not got a strong opinion on this lad either way. But he seems like a functioning midfield player and we could desperately do with one of them.

I am almost certain there will be similar or better to be found across the continent or the lower leagues and for less of an outlay, though.

Not got a strong opinion on this lad either way. But he seems like a functioning midfield player and we could desperately do with one of them.
Can't shoot, assist or tackle. Is proper boss at passing the ball 5 yards sideways. In other words he's Gomes. Just smaller and uglier.

An ongoing joke in one of my Whatsapp group has been about my annoyance towards Harry Winks and how much of an absolute ghost he is!

If I could chose one palyer i'd hate to see us linked with in the whole league its probably him, nevermind paying £20m for him to help fund Spurs' Bissouma deal (they would be basically massively upgrading for £5m)

Theres no denying he's a tidy enough footballer with his 5 yard no risk passes, but his build, his physique, his pace, his style, his running stats does not match any of that of a PL midfielder
For me the big thing with Winks is that he isn't going to elevate us unless he's brought in as part of a bigger transformation, which just isn't happening this window. If were also brining in Eriksen and another top CM, keeping Richy/DCL, etc and transforming the team to play a possession based style, then sure Winks could be a good fit.

But throw him into this current side and he is absolutely not going to elevate us and has never shown any amount of consistency even at his best. If he's cheap and a direct Delph replacement, that's fine. But spending a lot of money on him is madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.