New Everton Stadium Discussion

I'd prefer not to see the brickwork.

Ideally we'd have gone for a futuristic design and made a big statement.
But we have a half-looking back half-looking forward construction in the making with ridiculous incorporations of Goodison features like a 'lattice brickwork' attempting to blend in with the top half of the structure.

IMO the design - whilst not being a total mess - is not a success. Far from it. It wont be winning too many architectural awards.

Can’t please everyone with this can you.

I suspect I’d have hated a futuristic design, which could look horribly dated in a short space of time, and the brickwork base for me is what integrates it into the environment and gives it a genuine sense of character, which something like new WHL lacks for me (although that interior is far superior to ours, and should be, for the money spent).

The one caveat I’d put on it, is the level of transformation which will happen in the coming decades down that area of the docks, could leave the stadium sticking out alongside newer buildings, and the height reduction could end up in it being dwarfed by nearby high rises.

View attachment 171015I wonder if there's a contingency in the design to extend this glass wall back if needed, and to add an extra few thousand seats there

This is what really annoys me about these CGI's.

Some look awful. This is by far the best I've seen. Although the west stand looks small and drab. It's not my imagination is it that the upper tier clearly has an overhang?

Ideally the north stand should be extended from the beginning but you could see an Anfield Road type expansion in the near future.

As far as I am aware, no other club has constructed a new stadium, with the following in place.

(1) Global 2 year pandemic.

(2) A major land war in Europe, with associated sanctions and loss of one of our financial backers.

(3) Wrecked economy and rocketing interest rates.

It's an Everton thing for sure.

View attachment 171015I wonder if there's a contingency in the design to extend this glass wall back if needed, and to add an extra few thousand seats there

It could be done but it would overhang the boundary and that would require cooperation from the wastewater company.

I thought the glass opening was ment to be facing towards the city . What's the point of a view towards the treatment center?

Also I'm not sure why Everton didn't save them self's 100m and build it two doors down where the dock is already filled in...

And now the pitch is too small and doesn't fit . Typical Everton this

There are glass panels either end, one looking out to the city at the home end and this one which will not really have a view of the plant, it will be the wider dock area. The plant would be too close and too low to see. As another poster has said the closer to the edge of the development the more likely Peel would do a deal, that space in the middle is their prime location for their taller buildings.

It could be done but it would overhang the boundary and that would require cooperation from the wastewater company.

There are glass panels either end, one looking out to the city at the home end and this one which will not really have a view of the plant, it will be the wider dock area. The plant would be too close and too low to see. As another poster has said the closer to the edge of the development the more likely Peel would do a deal, that space in the middle is their prime location for their taller buildings.

At someone’s request, the design has been amended to give it a more GP feel….

1655983626559.jpeg

This is what really annoys me about these CGI's.

Some look awful. This is by far the best I've seen. Although the west stand looks small and drab. It's not my imagination is it that the upper tier clearly has an overhang?

Ideally the north stand should be extended from the beginning but you could see an Anfield Road type expansion in the near future.
Screenshot_20220623-123207.png

Definitely an overhang... But not much

Can’t please everyone with this can you.

I suspect I’d have hated a futuristic design, which could look horribly dated in a short space of time, and the brickwork base for me is what integrates it into the environment and gives it a genuine sense of character, which something like new WHL lacks for me (although that interior is far superior to ours, and should be, for the money spent).

The one caveat I’d put on it, is the level of transformation which will happen in the coming decades down that area of the docks, could leave the stadium sticking out alongside newer buildings, and the height reduction could end up in it being dwarfed by nearby high rises.

Even with the brickwork though: why on earth retain some backward half-arsed glance to the past with lattice brickwork?

It's 'kin daft beyond belief.

I think there's a real disconnect between what that club thinks it is that fans want (constant looking back over our shoulder to Goodison and the club's past achievements) and the reality of what we all actually want: a break from the past and a forging ahead into the 21st century. They presumed an awful lot with that choice of brickwork pattern.

The maudlin preoccupation with the past weighs like a dead hand on Everton. Just leave it where it belongs - in the history books not in our present.

As I said, personal preference. There were constraints that limited what could be built.

Until the UNESCO designation was removed, I think it was always going to be something like that.

In fact, even now, I think there would still be a lot of constraints imposed by the heritage lobby. All of the new build buildings near the Waterloo Dock and Stanley Dock are brick.

Yes, I get that the club's designs prior to the UNESCO flounce were limited.

Even with the brickwork though: why on earth retain some backward half-arsed glance to the past with lattice brickwork?

I think there's a real disconnect between what that club thinks it is that fans want (constant looking back over our shoulder to Goodison and the club's past achievements) and the reality of what we all actually want: a break from the past and a forging ahead into the 21st century. They presumed an awful lot with that choice of brickwork pattern.

The maudlin preoccupation with the past weighs like a dead hand on Everton. Just leave it where it belongs - in the history books not in our present.
Would you get rid of the Dixie Dean / Holy Trinity statues my son?
Serious question.

God bless.

I think you are very much in the minority in this @davek. The majority look forward to a brand new shiny stadium BUT also would like to see some part of Goodison integrated into the new stadium. I think there was even a thread dedicated to what that might be.
From what I recall, the Archibald Leitch criss-cross pattern was the most popular choice

Agree to disagree here. A bit of a nod to design continuity between Goodison and BM works for me. It’s an architect giving the nod to work from The previous design. No issues from me on that.