Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK fair point, but my point is there wasn't weeks and weeks of speculation leading up to us announcing him, we just got the work done. So the fact we're seeing press speculation about Winks and not, say, Otavian Popescu who we've been linked to in the past, doesn't mean we're working on one not the other. It's just that the press naturally pick up on one not the other.

My point is people don't need to get upset or make generalisations about the players we're linked to.
Considering we have no head of recruitment I'm not really sure how we are looking for players tbh, Thelwell has no experience of rebuilding anything. Every season it's the same names crop up with us, the same types of player. I don't care what anyone says but you can tell a lot of it is coming down from top level.

Can you name the last 5 we have signed from top 6 PL clubs? Without googling. Should be easy considering we do it so much apparently.

Alli, VDB, Iwobi, Delph, Walcott, Schneiderlin probably more in recent years.

Mad the dickriding defending this club and the scouting.

Alli, VDB, Iwobi, Delph, Walcott, Schneiderlin probably more in recent years.

Mad the dickriding defending this club and the scouting.
I'm not defending signing top 6 castoffs apparoach, but I don't think we do it as a focus like you are making out. Since 2013/14, I think we have signed like 14 but with 4 of them loan deals.

Lukaku and Barry were excellent for us and they came from top 6.

I think the approach of buying lots from PL is the issue, not just top 6. As we have signed a lot from lower half, relegated teams as well, often for big money.

I'm not defending signing top 6 castoffs apparoach, but I don't think we do it as a focus like you are making out. Since 2013/14, I think we have signed like 14 but with 4 of them loan deals.

Lukaku and Barry were excellent for us and they came from top 6.

I think the approach of buying lots from PL is the issue, not just top 6. As we have signed a lot from lower half, relegated teams as well, often for big money.
We should look at buying players who are from clubs below us but who's career is on an upward trajectory. Not players who's careers are almost over or ones who have plateaued - you know who I mean...
The plateaues are always a gamble because you know they are capable but are they motivated?
Buying players on the way up does not seem our way (Maybe Godfrey?) but they see us as either a destination (Coleman) or as a next step on their way to a CL club (Richy). Either way the motinvation is clear.

Just aghast at how bad our scouting system is.

Seemingly, every other club can get unknown talent from far and wide but us.

On a strict diet of top 6 dregs. Prem experience essential.

I think it's a problem of the recent trend being to buy established talent, most of which are already at "elite" clubs. It's also a tad uninspiring to see a habit of returning to clubs for their players - something that alongside a huge summer spending spree, I've never seen work out. e.g.

Watford - Richarlison and then chased Doucoure for two years

Barcelona - Digne, Gomes, Mina, countless links from then on (Umtiti, Lenglet, Coutinho, youth loans etc.)

Arsenal - Walcott then Iwobi

Swansea - Williams + Siggurdson.

Just aghast at how bad our scouting system is.

Seemingly, every other club can get unknown talent from far and wide but us.

On a strict diet of top 6 dregs. Prem experience essential.

Being an Everton scout must be the actual best job in the world. At no point do you need to do any work, just make a list of random names off Football Manager because they won’t listen to your recommendations anyway. Probably get to fly around the world pretty much just having city breaks and holidays and calling it work, pretending you’ve attended matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.