20,000 sign petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently 20,000 losers have signed a petition for Everton to drop betting sponsor this is the reason the club will never push on always got something to complain about Everton that sigh…..
Whether you agree or not, 20k people making their feelings known about a subject they obviously care enough about to put their name to doesn't qualify them as losers. Proactive, involved fans will never be the reason the club doesn't push on. Disagree if you want. Start your own counter petition if you want, but calling them losers is childish at best

These have got some nice timepieces and are showing us on their website but again not exactly a big brand.
Their sponsorship deal probably equates to half of Rondon's wages next season.

Not saying it's a bad thing that we got the deal, but the state of our squad we're going to need to find a heck of a lot more similar deals to offset the crap we've accumulated in the squad.

Us bottom feeders have to be happy with whatever scraps we can scrape together. I’m sure if the powers that be could have put together a better deal, they would have.
Next sponsor is going to be Tesla for 50 million per…right? Maybe on the sleeve.

When Everton broke with John Houlding it wasn’t just the rent that caused issues but also the close involvement with a Tory brewer.
The majority of the board were Liberals and they viewed football as a way to improve the lot of the working classes.
To provide them an alternative to the vices of alcoholism and violence, they also strongly disapproved of gambling as another vice which impoverished the masses.
In later years our great chairman Wilf Cuff was so opposed to the vice of gambling and the damage it could inflict on the game he loved that he encouraged other chairman to oppose the football pools (championed ironically by our future chairman Mr. Moores) .
Together they kept the fixtures secret until absolutely necessary to confound the ability of the bookmakers to draw up the pools ticket.
They failed , of course.
And Moores eventually gained control of the club (thereby ensuring that the lucrative football pools could not be threatened again).
I won’t be signing the petition because football clubs prostituted themselves years ago when they agreed to the team to become little more than advertising hoardings.
But those who oppose this deal are closer to the original ethos of our church founded club than those of us that refrain.

…if people feel strongly about this then they should surely lobby their MPs to pass law to ban betting sponsorship on all sporting merchandise in the U.K. in the same way it has for smoking products.

The club is acting within the guidance of the existing law, they are exploiting this to gain the most favourable investment. If folk want change, then look to change the law.

When Everton broke with John Houlding it wasn’t just the rent that caused issues but also the close involvement with a Tory brewer.
The majority of the board were Liberals and they viewed football as a way to improve the lot of the working classes.
To provide them an alternative to the vices of alcoholism and violence, they also strongly disapproved of gambling as another vice which impoverished the masses.
In later years our great chairman Wilf Cuff was so opposed to the vice of gambling and the damage it could inflict on the game he loved that he encouraged other chairman to oppose the football pools (championed ironically by our future chairman Mr. Moores) .
Together they kept the fixtures secret until absolutely necessary to confound the ability of the bookmakers to draw up the pools ticket.
They failed , of course.
And Moores eventually gained control of the club (thereby ensuring that the lucrative football pools could not be threatened again).
I won’t be signing the petition because football clubs prostituted themselves years ago when they agreed to the team to become little more than advertising hoardings.
But those who oppose this deal are closer to the original ethos of our church founded club than those of us that refrain.
I think the 20,000 are losers only inasmuch as their petition will have no effect on the sponsorship deal, but in every other aspect, it is laudable. Our fans, any clubs fans have the right to voice their opinion on the club they invest their money and their emotions in. If the fans of the dirty six hadn't have kicked off, the league would be entirely different now. We do have a voice and we should use it, people staying quiet when they see something they don’t agree with leads to political vermin running your country!

Don’t do it then it’s a choice and I agree it’s bad but I’d say it’s not as bad as a beer sponsor.
And that’s the ignorance of gambling ( and alcoholism ) in a nutshell. No, for gambling addicts it isn’t a choice of saying “ Ok I won’t do it then” and it seems you don’t know anything about the number of suicides , broken lives etc caused by gambling addiction .

Thanks for the info though, i ve now signed the petition.

Edit : https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...-shirt-to-advertise-harmful-gambling-products

Last edited:
And that’s the ignorance of gambling ( and alcoholism ) in a nutshell. No, for gambling addicts it isn’t a choice of saying “ Ok I won’t do it then” and it seems you don’t know anything about the number of suicides , broken lives etc caused by gambling addiction .

Thanks for the info though, anyone got a link to this petition, I’d like to sign it.

Edit : https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...-shirt-to-advertise-harmful-gambling-products
Signing this, thanks for the link, it won't change anything but at least it's letting the club now how disappointed we are

Signing this, thanks for the link, it won't change anything but at least it's letting the club now how disappointed we are
Its unlikely that many on GOT will change their views, but if they took the time to read the message attached it would give them the other perspective to make their minds up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.