Transfer Rumour Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wouldn't be a fan of spending 20m on him or him being used as leverage in a Richarlison deal but I think on loan (Not obligation to buy) he'd offer a decent stop gap in a role that we are crying out for. None of our midfielders are capable of progressive football and offering a decent passing range that our forwards can work with. We were relying heavily last season on our forward players doing something special or scrappy football that resulted in goals because we didn't have a player that could retain possession well and make sensible passes. Winks does that. He's not going to improve much so I wouldn't want to sign him but he can offer a stop gap that allows us to start playing football the way Lampard wants to and he allows the squad to gel to that style. That means when we have the money the season after to invest properly in the position the transition is much smoother. He also had more key passes than any of our midfielders - 1.1 per game - compared to 0.7 for Allan and 0.6 for Gomes and Doucoure respectively.

everton-and-winks.png

I wouldn't be a fan of spending 20m on him or him being used as leverage in a Richarlison deal but I think on loan (Not obligation to buy) he'd offer a decent stop gap in a role that we are crying out for. None of our midfielders are capable of progressive football and offering a decent passing range that our forwards can work with. We were relying heavily last season on our forward players doing something special or scrappy football that resulted in goals because we didn't have a player that could retain possession well and make sensible passes. Winks does that. He's not going to improve much so I wouldn't want to sign him but he can offer a stop gap that allows us to start playing football the way Lampard wants to and he allows the squad to gel to that style. That means when we have the money the season after to invest properly in the position the transition is much smoother. He also had more key passes than any of our midfielders - 1.1 per game - compared to 0.7 for Allan and 0.6 for Gomes and Doucoure respectively.

everton-and-winks.png
Stats like this prove nothing. It doesn't prove that winks is a better passer than the other players mentioned. It simply shows that everton have been instructed to play a direct style so therefore naturally will have less passes in the midfield.

I'm sure if Roberto Martinez was our manager last season then it would look completely different.

Stats like this prove nothing. It doesn't prove that winks is a better passer than the other players mentioned. It simply shows that everton have been instructed to play a direct style so therefore naturally will have less passes in the midfield.

I'm sure if Roberto Martinez was our manager last season then it would look completely different.

While you raise a fair point I disagree that is useless. It offers a chance to gauge where players are at and let's not forget that when Lampard came into the club he signed VDB because he thought our players weren't capable of passing in the way that he wanted / he tried to play progressive football initially but our players weren't capable. Winks clearly is able to play the way that Lampard wants to and while he would be too risky to spend 20m on or to be a part of a Richy deal, a season loan wouldn't be that tragic. He also has a higher completed passing percentage in the high 80s compared to our lot that are all below 80%. Passing and retaining possession should be one of the basic fundamentals of a midfielder in the modern game and our lot are complete guff at it. There's a reason that Lampard - a manager that tradionally does not play direct football - decided to do that. The main one is because our midfielders are crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.