• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Venerated and reputable Muslim scholars argue that homosexual behavior is forbidden in Islam, thereby disqualifying those who do engage in it or support it from still being considered Muslim. For a devout Muslim this is clearly an imporant consideration. Fortunately for Gueye, he lives in a western society that allows uhim the freedom to choose to follow his religion. Equally given that his choice was personal, anyone looking to shut him down for peacefully following the tenets of his religion might be viewed as Islamophic. I am sure that you are not intentionally being Islamophobic but your obsession with him not wanting to wear a shirt does look concerning.

I presume you're not intentionally suggesting that a homosexual muslim wouldn't count as a 'devout' Muslim or should be disqualified from their religion?

As I said in my previous posts, there is plenty of evidence that shows that homosexuality was not as 'problematic' within the Islamic faith previously as it is now. There are plenty of examples of homosexual relationships within the faith, islamic art and Middle Eastern countries. I'd refer you to work by Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle, if you would like to study further on the subject. A number of scholars also question the interpretation of the hadith referencing homosexuality too.

What is clear from this whole thread and wider debate is that people generally see homophobia as dismissible and not important. I would not expect us to sign a player who refused to show solidarity with Muslims or take part in any anti-islamophobia events and so I think it is only right we have the same debate in these circumstances.

I presume you're not intentionally suggesting that a homosexual muslim wouldn't count as a 'devout' Muslim or should be disqualified from their religion?

As I said in my previous posts, there is plenty of evidence that shows that homosexuality was not as 'problematic' within the Islamic faith previously as it is now. There are plenty of examples of homosexual relationships within the faith, islamic art and Middle Eastern countries. I'd refer you to work by Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle, if you would like to study further on the subject. A number of scholars also question the interpretation of the hadith referencing homosexuality too.

What is clear from this whole thread and wider debate is that people generally see homophobia as dismissible and not important. I would not expect us to sign a player who refused to show solidarity with Muslims or take part in any anti-islamophobia events and so I think it is only right we have the same debate in these circumstances.
Debate away in here, mate. ?

Heavy post for a Friday that

In some countries a man having consensual sex with an under 16 girl is allowed by law, even marriage.
Would I expect a British player playing in that country to wear a shirt supporting that, if he didn’t agree with it?
Not sure we can dictate peoples beliefs however they might be different to the western world.

In some countries a man having consensual sex with an under 16 girl is allowed by law, even marriage.
Would I expect a British player playing in that country to wear a shirt supporting that, if he didn’t agree with it?
Not sure we can dictate peoples beliefs however they might be different to the western world.
I’m pretty sure people stopped drawing equivalence between homosexuality and paedophilia decades ago, when they realised it was offensively boneheaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.