Match Thread Aston Villa vs Everton. Saturday 14th August 12:30 KO

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just need a striker, it's really as simple as that. I like the fact we are playing 5 ATB with 2 midfielders covering, it means that we can absorb pressure and be defensively solid. Patterson and Mykolenko are great as wing backs, just give them more license to go forward. Get a 6 next to Onana, Iwobi on the wing (I know he's great in midfield atm) and Gordon on the other side with an actual striker. We were great at times from carrying the ball from deep but we just needed some to put some passes together to get those forwards running further up the pitch.

We caused Villa all sorted of issues from corners, we will do that all season long and score, I maybe mad but I could actually see how Lampard is trying to get us to play at Villa Park, if only DCL didn't get injured.

I agree, the answer is he doesn't trust the players .

This will be the downfall of him. Still figuring players and systems out two games in to the season is a worry really.
Yep; got to have your system sorted.
This was Kendall's downfall with Lineker, took him a few games to get the blend right...especially that early season Derby.
Get even a draw out of that and it's +1pt for us; -2pts for them...all other things being equal obvs...We win the League not them.
Fine margins.

This was Kendall's downfall with Lineker, took him a few games to get the blend right...especially that early season Derby.
Get even a draw out of that and it's +1pt for us; -2pts for them...all other things being equal obvs...We win the League not them.
Fine margins.

Didn’t help losing Southall that season either

Typos and txt speak notwithstanding ...

This, all day long.

Edit:
Also;
*in the manner of old style Points of View...why, oh why, oh why, do we have a Right Back playing with in a number 3 and Tarko on the Left in a number 2.
Who signed off on this?
Same person who Okayed the pointy rectangle badge probably
No wonder we can't win a game
In my defense the screen on my phone is cracked so bad I have to make a real effort to proof read my posts. ?

Said exactly the same, we will be in the top half of the table at the end of the season
I cant agree with this, yes we MIGHT get a striker and we MIGHT score a few more but we have recruited defenders and we still conceded goals.

Playing the 5 since Lampard has taken over we have really struggled to create and keep clean sheets, playing 4-3-3 we win games, I`m not sure what the issue is unless Thelwell is pulling the strings in the background telling him to play his beloved back 5.

Someone needs to get control of this because the points are there from them 2 games but we`ve given them up to chase this 5 at the back dream.

In other news it appears the Villa defender Diego Carlos has ruptured his achilles, what a shame, Karma for not getting the pen!

From memory its 4 to 6 months for it to heal then another 3 or 4 months to return at the same level, generally speaking. I`m sure someone with better medical knowledge can shed more light on this.

Fine margins.
Exactly at least the system in place. We may desperately need a point or two come the end like last season , shocking really.

people saying davies did ok

hmmmm

villa found pockets of space in behind him on numerous occasions

he seems to just mark space and lets players run past him

not sure that is what a defensive midfielder is meant to be doing
was hoping he'd kick on under lampard
but just got shown up again.
that cohesiveness Lampard and the new CBs are bringing just loosened back up when Davies came on.

Iwobi on the other hand continues to be a revelation.
don't think Davies ever reached the defensive mid heights that Iwobi reached on Saturday.

Well having seen it on MOTD, I can’t believe the cb’s fell for that 1-2 for the second goal. Holgate switched off for a second and lost Buendia. Schoolboy defending.
Yep poor from Holgate, you can't get into a double blind, should've been exactly where the strike was coming through or nowhere.

We were away from home so what do you expect?

Our players are mentally weak, which is understandable given that we accrued just 6 points from Benitez’s last 3 months in charge last season.

Frankly unless they have 40,000 blues cheering their every move they simply can’t perform. Pathetic really.
That’s why we need more characters. More lads like Coady.

Status
Not open for further replies.