2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
What that Bill is busy selling young players.

You're a smart guy Dave. This is history repeating itself as farce.

I know a manager has a say so on this...which doesn't preclude both being on board with any such decision on Gordon.

Bottom line is that if he wants him to stay then Lampard would get his way.

He really should have been more astute than to spend out good cash on McNeil and others this window rather than buy another striker.

Selling Gordon would be the solution to the problem he helped create in that respect.

Ok this is a silly technical argument I don't care about. Yeah he's worth what someone pays, but I can pay 40m for a bag of excrement and it isn't really worth that is it?

40m is too much and we should gladly take it. If we want to try to squeeze them for a bit extra that's fine, God knows Chelsea love getting squeezed, if we actually intend to stand strong and not sell we're dumber than I thought.

I agree.

I probably see an intrinsic value of around 25m-30m.

My general rule is 1.5 x IV I strongly consider a deal. 2 x IV I'd honestly sell.

If I was a CEO of a football club I'd basically operate to that rule too.

I know a manager has a say so on this...which doesn't preclude both being on board with any such decision on Gordon.

He really should have been more astute than to spend out good cash on McNeil and others this window rather than buy another striker.

Selling Gordon would be the solution to the problem he helped create in that respect.
There is no chance Lampard has final say on this. Absolutely none.

We have an owner, a board and a DOF above him. I'm confused why you are trying to pin thos on the manager...

Would we have hung on to Vardy like they did?.....not a chance.
I dunno; how old is Coleman with time to run on his deal? Didn't we have Jags and Distin into their 30s? David Weir and Dicky Gough seemed about 40 when they were here.

Apples and oranges though. Vardy is "Leics legend" I guess, very much part of the fabric; might not be the player he once was but he is well regarded within the club (perhaps maybe an 'icon'), so he was never going to be forced out just like Seamus wont be. And he still has a part to play there.

Vardy cost about £1m all those years ago, has been brilliant for Leics and not selling him is hardly a transfer error. On the whole their business has been phenomenal. £20m for Madison could be going for £60-70m. £65-70m profit on slabhead. Fofana in for £20m maybe out for +£80m. We can only dream of being half as competent as that club has been.

We dont shop in that market, so it's not really a relevant question to be fair mate.
p55422.png

Exactly.

Gordon is a red line. Go over that and he's lost a hell of a lot of good will he's banked since the Palace game.

It’s the precedent it creates and image it projects to. We’ve always sold our best players in the PL era, we however always made sure we got a fair price and then some to compensate, we were always obstinate and “don’t want to sell“. We never sold two of our best players in one window, not to my memory unless it really suited us.

Now it seems systemically the Spurs and Chelsea’s of this world can come and say - let’s just throw them 50 mill and take their best players - be great bench options. What’s more sad is some are more then happy to grab the penny’s that fall from the CL top table.

If we do this, we are admitting we are on the same level of the Palaces of this world - probably worse as they had the gumption of realising what they had in say a Zaha.

Agreed but Gordon isn't a £50m player and the likelihood of him become a £50m player in a team with no striker, no defensive midfielder and currently 2 central defenders out not to mention us selling our top goalscorer.

IF we sell him and reinvent like he currently have done with sensible signings in key areas, it's FAR more valuable than Anthony Gordon
£50M from Chelsea?

Wont ever happen. Dont be fooled by that BS.

It'd be £30M tops + a dud from their squad.

Fair enough Dave. Sounds like you know more than me.

My own view, FWIW is that Bill is clearly now more involved, and surprise surprise we are back to selling our young players again. I dont think that fella really listens to anyone.

It’s the precedent it creates and image it projects to. We’ve always sold our best players in the PL era, we however always made sure we got a fair price and then some to compensate, we were always obstinate and “don’t want to sell. We never sold two of our best players in one window, not to my memory unless it really suited it.

Now it seems systemically the Spurs and Chelsea’s os this world can come and say - let’s just throw them 50 mill and take their best players - be great bench options. What’s more sad is some are more then happy to grab the penny’s that fall from the CL top table.

If we do this, we are admitting we are on the same level of the Palaces of this world - probably worse as they had the gumption of realising wha5 they had in say a Zaha.
If our best players are never better than Richarlison or Gordon that isn't the worst arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.