2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
In no particular order: He's an attacking player something we are short of, he tries to progress the ball forward not sideways or backwards like a lot of the team, He's a good player as it stands, He's 21 so has years to improve which he will. I doubt he's on (comparatively) high wages. He's featured in pretty much every game he's been available since Lampard came in so the manager likes him. He's come through the Academy and is a Blue so Everton courses through his veins, which is a good advertisement for both the Academy and Club in general.
I'm not sure how the other post was Davek-esq because I would never have posted it if I did!?!
There's no "of course" about it. We'd like to think Everton courses through his veins but none of us actually know that. More than one local young blue has happily gone elsewhere for a sniff at a trophy regardless of their childhood allegiances.

I really rate him as a prospect but there are positives and negatives to both options when that kind of money is being offered. Neither is definitively the correct option. If he stays it can't be at the expense of bringing in another player or two and if he goes then the proper work needs to have already having been done on where that money is reinvested and it's not a case of "Here's £50M, now what?" with the deadline looming.

The lad wants a move, he has likely been told he is getting the move (hence the phone celebration, commenting on Chelsea posts)
An Evertonian, brought through the ranks, and getting to play on the biggest stage week in week out, with a revolutionary new stadium around the corner.
Yet he'd rather go and sit on Chelsea's bench. Suit himself.

For 50 million or so it's sell for me but the question of course is what we get into replace him. He's a long way from the finished article. Chelsea can play the long game with him .
I'm not sure we can afford to at that price
He should ask Barkley about the quality of the Chelsea benches. Hart, soft warm in winter?

The lad wants a move, he has likely been told he is getting the move (hence the phone celebration, commenting on Chelsea posts)
An Evertonian, brought through the ranks, and getting to play on the biggest stage week in week out, with a revolutionary new stadium around the corner.
Yet he'd rather go and sit on Chelsea's bench. Suit himself.

What's the phone celebration got to do with it?

I’d much prefer they ran the club well and maximized revenue elsewhere so we don’t need to sell one of the few local players that actually make an impact in the first team

I get the arguments for, as we are where we are right now financially, and a few have said we want to follow a model where we sell academy players for decent money or buy players young at low value and sell high…….however one of the things I enjoy most about watching the team is when there’s a youth prospect playing and especially a local lad, and the prospect they might be at least a solid reliable squad player for years to come, but with the hope they might be something special.

In a sport where it’s just a set of bank accounts moving money around personally speaking it’s one of the main things for me that keeps it grounded in what the sport resembled years ago and one of the main things I enjoy about watching us especially in this era of utter crap and players I can’t stand.

So, no, feck off. Keep him. Buy or loan what we can by the windows end and hopefully he is at least a contributing squad player for years to come or surprises us all and becomes a top talent.

I haven’t forgotten we are on a slow rebuild back to being solid again so I’m not stressed we don’t get in players that are what people think are the real deal right now. Work with what we have and what we can get up front by windows end, improve the performances, hopefully improve by say at least 10pts the total at end of season and continue to kick on from next summer with more recycling of the trash.

No mate I'm really not, transfermarkt only has Gouiri rated over 25m. I just don't know because transfers are odd and sometimes Cucurella costs 60m despite not being better than Ruben Vinagre.
Well this is clearly nonsense. Cucurella is possibly the most overpriced player ever at 62 million, but he's still a good solid player and will do a good job there. Just because they weirdly paid over 60 million for a 30 million player doesn't mean he's a bad player and not as good as Vinagre.

Will you buy him for £50m this is the question.

There should not be many who question his potential but knowing that we sold our best player and main goal threat in Richy we got merely £60m.

By selling the lad, ffp is out of the way and we will be able to bring in a few attackers.

When Barkley was 21/22, I think the ceiling is similar to Anthony lad in todays circumstances.
The barkley comparison is a good one. I think the major difference for me is gordon is some one who's character shows in the way he plays and is a big reason in why i think he'll only get better. 10 g/a over a season and maybe even an england cap and his price only goes up.
The importance of him being local/a blue/having come through the academy is being massively downplayed here. Those are things you often can't pay for and we're not blessed with the best of academies. If people want to sell gordon but think players like dobbin are the answer then god help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.