2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling Gordon is us essentially admitting to the wider footballing world what we already knew as supporters

We're an absolute nothing team who can't even hold on to our best youth prospects anymore

We admitted that nearly 20 years ago when we left Rooney go for only 20 odd million. We've been a nothing club my entire life.

They appear to be buying him as a Reece James backup.

He'd probably be fine there, but untested. Also it compensates for his lack of finishing weve seen so far.

Would you rather Gordon or Patterson at RWB ?

Theres probably not much in it and I suspect Patterson will end up the superior wing back.

£50mil is a mad amount of money for a 'promising' hard working u21 player who (as yet) has limited end product.

Sell him and sign 2 high potential u21 players as replacements like Onana.

That's fair enough mate.

I just think in the abstract, you cant say hes not good enough for us, when a top 3 team, who recently won the CL want to spent (at least) over 40m on him. He is obviously good enough for us.

Your answering the question of is he worth that figure, either intrinsically or to us. That's a different question and one I agree with you on.

Isnt good enough for what?

Chelsea are willing to pay a huge fee for him, so clearly he is good enough mate, and viewed as an exceptional young talent.

Big thing being good enough and 50 million pounds good enough though. Is Gordon ever going to be a 100m player? I doubt that very much unless inflation dictates that almost everyone goes for that price.

As I said last night, if Richarlison fixed last year's accounts, This could do the same for this year, I believe the Kean money will be paid the summer after. That will mean we have a clear direct route to having 3 neutral years allowing us a lot of leeway to take a 100 million loss the summer we move into the stadium, hopefully boosted by transfers of people like Gray/McNeil etc. if they are surplus to requirement.

If we don't sell Gordon then likely it will be DCL that has to go to do the same to plug the accounts and I know which one I'd rather have around over the next couple of seasons to help us win games.

There's no "of course" about it. We'd like to think Everton courses through his veins but none of us actually know that. More than one local young blue has happily gone elsewhere for a sniff at a trophy regardless of their childhood allegiances.

I really rate him as a prospect but there are positives and negatives to both options when that kind of money is being offered. Neither is definitively the correct option. If he stays it can't be at the expense of bringing in another player or two and if he goes then the proper work needs to have already having been done on where that money is reinvested and it's not a case of "Here's £50M, now what?" with the deadline looming.

You're right I don't know for certain but he always looks really excited when we score.

The reaction towards Gordon because Chelsea want him is disgusting. I'm seen him called crap, take the money and tagged in posts on twitter.

Disgusting support and I'd be gone in a flash if I was him reading that.

I've thought this about others as well and it's highly likely some of the players have visited this site which might explain why some occasionally look like they just can't be arsed.

Where do you think theyre playing him? Elsewhere hes a 3rd choice punt...his best chance is backup to Reece James.
So they are going to pay £50m for a player to be back up in a position that he's never played?

Wow , I know Todd's an American but wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.