2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the issue is not that we are a "selling club" it's that traditionally we've been rubbish at doing it. Leics do it well, Saints, Brighton, even the RS all do it well. We have had god awful helmuts doing our business in the past. Get good negotiators doing the business and there's nothing wrong with the model.

it takes its toll tho look at leicester so far

and southampton stayed up by the skin of therye teeth

He scored 4 goals; I wouldn’t class that has respectable. And I’m sure 2 of them took massive deflections.

XG is a load of wank

Well how else would you measure good performance then?
If player 1 gets 30 clear chances and scores 10, and maybe B gets 4 clear chances and scores 4, which one is a better finisher?
I'm not being horrible, but the fact you don't think his return is respectable, in a poor team is quite telling. Teams don't bid 40m+ for players who have a lower than respectable return. It was a good return, given the lack of chances he had. He did well to get 4 goals.
Just for the record, does a goal scored with a deflection count any less? Do you get less points for those? Do we have to give 2 points back v Manchester United because of that?

Well he has shown himself to be a world class young player, hence why huge sums of money are being offered. People who know about can see this, have seen this and are not surprised it's played out this way.
Unfortunately there's a layer of people who haven't seen it. That's fair enough, but they have been proven wholly wrong as a result of this saga.

He has backed down in my conversation with him....now says he has talent and potantial....yet also saying he has not said anything bad...

Another stat vergin thats never kicked a ball.

Even performance based, that could rise to that. But it would need serious input into the amount of goals we score.

Just offering him £120k is a poor decision IMO
And yet 100% typical of this football club.

We hadn't got shot of Delph or Siggy before plopping Dele on best part of £100k a week and barely ever playing him. Makes total sense we throw top earner level wages at a hard-working but no end product 21 year old after his debut full season with a whopping 4 goals to his name because of a transfer rumour.

His agent has played a blinder if it goes this way. Well done to them.

Well he has shown himself to be a world class young player, hence why huge sums of money are being offered. People who know about can see this, have seen this and are not surprised it's played out this way.
Unfortunately there's a layer of people who haven't seen it. That's fair enough, but they have been proven wholly wrong as a result of this saga.
He hasn't for me.

Unfortunately "good teams are spending a lot on him" isn't actually a sign that he's a top player because said teams get it wrong pretty much all the time. The only world class attacker in the Chelsea team currently is Mason Mount who amazingly is the one they spend zero on.

City could come in tomorrow with 400m and I'd be willing to admit I may have missed something but until he does more on the pitch I'd still not believe he's a top class talent. That's where I am now. If he goes to Chelsea or stays here and tears it up awesome, at this moment I don't see that.

It's not objective though. There are multiple data firms out there clubs use for such "expected"-type stats. One person's/firm's opinion of what constitutes a 'dribble' does not for the other, same with 'chance created' or 'goal involvements' etc etc. Sky happen to have picked the one they prefer hence why we see their stats on the TV. It's 100% arbitrary as there is no uniform consensus or argreement about what consistute what from one to the next.

"not worth £25m" or "not good enough" is also subjective as you say.

There's difference between the models sure, and it's not perfect, but it's miles better than people's opinions that he's a bad finisher because he only scored 4 goals. Like what's that based on? It's purely subjective.

He hasn't for me.

Unfortunately "good teams are spending a lot on him" isn't actually a sign that he's a top player because said teams get it wrong pretty much all the time. The only world class attacker in the Chelsea team currently is Mason Mount who amazingly is the one they spend zero on.

City could come in tomorrow with 400m and I'd be willing to admit I may have missed something but until he does more on the pitch I'd still not believe he's a top class talent. That's where I am now. If he goes to Chelsea or stays here and tears it up awesome, at this moment I don't see that.

I know he hasn't for you, and maybe he hasn't for me, but for people who matter he has.

Ashworth knows his stuff, and bid heavily for him. Chelsea have recruited well and they are in for him. There's a reason for that. These people know what they are doing.

I like Ryan, but his pressing and defensive work is way better than average, his goal return to XG is about average and he's 21 and will get a lot better.

I don't know what he does moving forward, but objectively as of this moment, he is a world class talent. That's the reality.

He has backed down in my conversation with him....now says he has talent and potantial....yet also saying he has not said anything bad...

Another stat vergin thats never kicked a ball.

There's some truly mad takes in here.

He's has at finishing because he only scored 4 goals. Apparently not good enough for the championship, yet a team that won the CL season before last want to spend mega money on him.

Do people ever stop to think they may have just called it wrong?
This isn't me being wise after the event either, I said years ago, if he went, top clubs would be interested in him.

We're toothless with him...

He's scored four goals, 1 of which wasn't intentional and 2 of which were massive deflections, and he doesn't really create great chances.

I think he'll improve in all of those things but if Chelsea offer £50m we can easily reinvest it in players who will give us some bite, to stick with the nashers analogy.
Yup. How could we possibly replace those 4 goals in 51 appearances with £50m. 'Impossible' as the French say........
He’s the only player that gets us up the pitch. 21 years of age and only going to get better. With a proper striker upfront he will surely improve on those stats.

I think people are forgetting how well he did last year in his breakthrough season.

As much as I think we would benefit more from a 50m sale than keeping him, I just can't see us letting him go yeknow.

With Frank's statement at the start of the season about building a team around him, I think it would look extremely bad for us.

UNLESS Gordon wants the move himself, then all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.