2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not outside of the UK footballing philosophy bubble there are a lot of people who hold similar views to me. That's why I'm so shocked sometimes when I say something that gets a lot of pushback, because circles exist where these things are just accepted.

Some kind of seedy ring eh?

I don't think you can keep him if offers of 50m roll in unless he's a truly foundational piece OR he's likely to be worth considerably more in the not too distant future. And I don't think he is on either account. Now whether you think the club will wisely put that money back into the side is a different question, but the recent dealings seem to be focused on foundation and stability, which is boring but promising.

I have seen Watford play a couple of times since the start of the season and I think Sarr is back to his best again.

If Gordon is to be sold then he needs to be replaced quickly and with players of a good quality, preferably young.

I do agree 50m would be too much to turn down but I hate what it says about our club and what we have become.

However, my feeling is that in spite of the headline number that has been quoted as the Chelsea bid, I feel the real bid may actually have been easy to refuse.

And, by the way, if a decision is made to keep Gordon, then the time for excuses is over - for the manager and the player. We'll be expecting end product - goals, assists, and serviceable corners from the moment the transfer window "slams shut".
That should be the norm now, as per progression trajectory. 21 years old and can't take a corner, but we might be giving him £120k a week if the rumours are true. You know full well if he doesn't develop at the rate he has over the last year (and he may well exceed it tbf) there'll be excuse after excuse and 5 years from now we'll be talking about that time we almost got £50m for a lad who never quite hit the heights we hoped.

But the 2nd player is a better finisher isn't he?

As for the 2nd point, I saw a player who was involved. He had 2 good shots that he made for himself. There was a moment where he dribbled from our third to Villa's box and was chopped down (and bizarrely not given a free kick) and he scored a goal that was ruled out for him being inches offside.
I'm not sure how much more involved you want him to be, playing out of position?
Completely subjective; what happens if those 4 goals came as complete tap-ins or against weaker opposition.

And I get that you’re trying to take this high ground about how you see the game differently, but truth be told, Tyrone Mings had a relatively easy game.

He’s clearly not a striker, he’s a runner who can pull defenders. He’s worked on his tactical game and on his own upper body strength, which deserves applause because it’s shows a willingness. But he’s not a world beater by any chance.

Chelsea will pay £50m for him because that’s what Chelsea do; they pay for English potential because they have the resources to do so

Well he has shown himself to be a world class young player, hence why huge sums of money are being offered. People who know about can see this, have seen this and are not surprised it's played out this way.
Unfortunately there's a layer of people who haven't seen it. That's fair enough, but they have been proven wholly wrong as a result of this saga.
He really hasn’t! He, as has been said many many times in this thread, has shown potential!
If Chelsea or any one else in that case want to cough up £50m+ for potential, Everton at this particular point would be mad not to take it!

Last edited:

Well he does, because they would probably all also struggle in a team as bad as ours, playing out of position.
Foden is an awesome player, but in a side that has 25% of the ball would be a liability.
I don't find he wasn't that good but neither was anyone else to be a compelling defense of a player

Status
Not open for further replies.