2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they can value him at whatever they want...

They 'wanted' to value him at £50m, it would seem, because they had no need to sell. Yet it looks like Chelsea might well end up offering very close to that. So it will prove to be absolutely the right decision.

There's absolutely no need to just cave and sell at the first offer, especially if there is an anticipation that the interested party will return.

Like I said, Chelsea have just paid £62m for a decent LB, even though City had dropped out of the equation after Brighton wanted more than £40-45m. They were bidding against themselves.
We can't say for sure how negotiations have gone. If they've encouraged more bids and suggested to Chelsea that it was a deal they'd make then that is fine. If they sent them packing twice with a hardline we're not selling and have gotten lucky that Chelsea aren't giving it up that is very fortunate for us.

Not doing this deal at 45m is way worse than the 5m upside we might get out of turning it down, imo.

I think the key piece that people are overlooking is that the player in question is just not this good. The fee is absolutely bananas. If someone told me on Saturday that Chelsea were offering 40m for Gordon come Monday I'd have thought they were having a stroke.

We can't say for sure how negotiations have gone. If they've encouraged more bids and suggested to Chelsea that it was a deal they'd make then that is fine. If they sent them packing twice with a hardline we're not selling and have gotten lucky that Chelsea aren't giving it up that is very fortunate for us.

Not doing this deal at 45m is way worse than the 5m upside we might get out of turning it down, imo.

I think the key piece that people are overlooking is that the player in question is just not this good. The fee is absolutely bananas. If someone told me on Saturday that Chelsea were offering 40m for Gordon come Monday I'd have thought they were having a stroke.
It's not 'getting lucky' if they don't want to sell the player though. Which they don't.

But every player has a price, that's the key difference.

Just because you think it's so doesn't make it so. The club rate Gordon highly, he's under contract and they can demand what they want of him, especially if a mad cap Chelsea come calling.

We don't know for sure of course, but it's very often the case that feelers are put out through intermediaries that will get the valuation of a said player. Everton, going off reports, have said £50m+. So Chelsea have opened at £40-45m (either over one bid or two, there's differing reports on that).

I get that last part btw, and like you I'd say this is way way beyond his worth, but we have no financial need to sell like we did with Richarlison so we have to get the best we can get, and I think we can get more from these lunatics. If we don't, I honestly don't care because I like Gordon and would be happy if he stayed too.

Those 'fashionable' kecks he wore to make a statement to the cameras on the first day back of pre-season.

The Claire Balding bouffant hair do.

Thinking he's good enough to replicate the Gabriel Jesus celebration.

Too big for his boots. Should be grafting to make a name for himself at that age, not trying to be the next concert star of Teen Vogue.

Koff will ya. £47m will do just nicely. It's at least £27m more than I could ever imagine him being sold for in his current state.

It's not 'getting lucky' if they don't want to sell the player though. Which they don't.

But every player has a price, that's the key difference.

Just because you think it's so doesn't make it so. The club rate Gordon highly, he's under contract and they can demand what they want of him, especially if a mad cap Chelsea come calling.

We don't know for sure of course, but it's very often the case that feelers are put out through intermediaries that will get the valuation of a said player. Everton, going off reports, have said £50m+. So Chelsea have opened at £40-45m (either over one bid or two, there's differing reports on that).

I get that last part btw, and like you I'd say this is way way beyond his worth, but we have no financial need to sell like we did with Richarlison so we have to get the best we can get, and I think we can get more from these lunatics. If we don't, I honestly don't care because I like Gordon and would be happy if he stayed too.
If the club value Gordon above 50m then I simply have no faith that the people in charge have any clue. It really is that simple.

I like Gordon. I can see an entire new front line being brought in with the funds. I don't like Gordon more than that.

If the club value Gordon above 50m then I simply have no faith that the people in charge have any clue. It really is that simple.

I like Gordon. I can see an entire new front line being brought in with the funds. I don't like Gordon more than that.
That's fine but like I said, Brighton valued Cucurella at £40m initially, then upped it to £50m and then asked for more when Chelsea came and bid against themselves.

You take advantage when you deal with these clubs.

It's no different to a Bundesliga club selling a player to another Bundesliga club for £15m, when they'd quoted Premier League teams £30m for the same player.

I have no faith in them spending the money wisely so have no issue if we keep the player

If I was Lampard I would be saying to the lad we've had an offer from Chelsea, we don't want you to go. What do you want to do.? Unless Lamps might want to cash In.

But United are after him and they are not in the CL, that doesn't mean he has to come out and tell the world what he's going to do.
I think a better comparison is looking how he acted during the transfer to Barca… and De Ligt who went to Juve. Boyhood Ajax players. Who season before they went publicly rejected transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.