Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. We sold our talisman and top scorer last season after we just finished 16th! A month and a half ago, still nobody to replace any of what he offered. Relying on our forward options even with DCL being fit was asking for trouble there wasn't enough goals in there, now there is zero. They think it's ok to let three games go by with no reinforcements? Putting the manager and squad under pressure from the start. I will also include Thelwell in this.
If we wait till deadline day that's another three games that could be loses forest, Brentford,and Leeds, if reinforcements are not in earlier

If we wait till deadline day that's another three games that could be loses forest, Brentford,and Leeds, if reinforcements are not in earlier
Exactly looks like we are pinning all our hopes on Broja coming in but he won't until Chelsea reinforce, its a big gamble its also putting pressure on a guy who notched six goals last season to come in and make the difference we should have sorted someone out before now. Appears we are only making moves this week it's absolutely insane. But it's this club for you.

Everyone’s so focussed on a centre forward, understandably. But a centre forward is only as good as the service they get - as United and Ronaldo are finding out.

If we get DCL back fit and sign another centre forward that’ll be two players for one position, three of we can’t offload Rondon and if you count him as a player.

What about our options to play either side of the centre forward - the ones who are also going to have to chip in with goals and create for the centre forward. At the moment we’ve got Gray, Gordon, McNeil, Townsend when fit - yikes.

Don’t think any combination of those four either side of a centre forward is good enough. We’re desperate for quality either side of the centre forward as well - a centre forward on its own isn’t suddenly going to see us banging them in…though I concede, it will be a start.

Everyone’s so focussed on a centre forward, understandably. But a centre forward is only as good as the service they get - as United and Ronaldo are finding out.

If we get DCL back fit and sign another centre forward that’ll be two players for one position, three of we can’t offload Rondon and if you count him as a player.

What about our options to play either side of the centre forward - the ones who are also going to have to chip in with goals and create for the centre forward. At the moment we’ve got Gray, Gordon, McNeil, Townsend when fit - yikes.

Don’t think any combination of those four either side of a centre forward is good enough. We’re desperate for quality either side of the centre forward as well - a centre forward on its own isn’t suddenly going to see us banging them in…though I concede, it will be a start.
Well yes when I say forward i mean players who can play across the front line and or get goals. We need at least one player who can play through the middle who can rotate with Dom and one wide forward. We also need a creative player deeper.

It is, but we needed to do a ridiculously huge amount of business on a relative shoestring. That takes time, knowledge and a bit of luck. We are getting linked with lots of forwards which suggests to me that a lot of background work is being done. I doubt we have a whole load of budget or salary to make it work. Dele leaving may creat headroom for a better target.

If we had sorted striker, we would probably be panicking about midfield or defence.

we need it sorting

I would imagine that those could easily be brought in with transfer feee and wages amortised or whatever the word is based on the £50m from Gordon.

Based on my understanding, that is why we have Onana and McNeil quite long contracts because you divide the purchase price by the length of contract and that’s how much goes on the accounts for each year.

In theory, if we get £50m for Gordon we could spend £250m on fees and wages if we spread it across contracts of 5 years in length for every player we sign.

That’s my vague understanding of it all anyway
It only works in the year of the sale because that hits the P&L in full when it happens.

In subsequent years we have all those annual amortised tranches of transfer fees (when the cash is paid is irrelevant to the P&L but not the bank manager) and lots of new wages that are much higher than Gordon’s meaning we create big new future holes that eat up all the one-off profit made/cash gain & more.

We create future holes, which can again only be filled (unless revenue rockets) with more profitable sales and then repeat. It is a race to the bottom mortgaging the future by buying on the drip and periodically selling off assets to stave off disaster. Unless we consistently qualify for Europe...CL not EL.

Without a sugar daddy we have to get to the point where our revenue broadly covers our costs and we run more or less sustainably break-even. The approach suggested will prevent that ever happening.

davebelle.PNG

It is, but we needed to do a ridiculously huge amount of business on a relative shoestring. That takes time, knowledge and a bit of luck. We are getting linked with lots of forwards which suggests to me that a lot of background work is being done. I doubt we have a whole load of budget or salary to make it work. Dele leaving may creat headroom for a better target.

If we had sorted striker, we would probably be panicking about midfield or defence.
I mean we haven’t exactly ‘sorted’ the midfield either have we? I reckon at the back end of last season most people would have said we needed at least 2 central midfielders, 1 striker, 1 goalscoring wide player and a right back. Instead we’ve signed 1 midfielder, 2 centre halves, a left back and a wide player who doesn’t score.

The goalscoring issue is taking over because it’s such a clear problem but the problems elsewhere are still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.