Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I originally said we had to upgrade our midfield going from Iwobi and Doucoure to Gana and Onana is a massive upswing.

Half the time I don't think you understand the conversation you're wading into.
My original point is that the opposing 3 CM players will get the better of our 2 in the majority of cases. Villa played a diamond affectively 4 CM against our 2 with little help from our wingers who were covering WBs and not CM.

The quality of player is irrelevant because we don`t have that and probably never will so a good coach will find ways to overcome these issues through tactics/formations etc, we don`t seem to do that.

It won't be, mate.

Once the window is closed and any new signings are bedded in we'll still have the better part of 90 points to play for. I get it's frustrating but strikers have to be the toughest position to recruit for. If (clearly a very big IF) we get the recruitment right, though, I'll be glad we took our time over it rather than Evertoning it and ending up with a Rondon-Sturridge partnership just because it'd have been quick to do.
I hope not but after last season three games or five games is too many to be going into without a threat, if we are waiting till the end of the season is a fair amount of games and nothing is for certain. Also we need two forwards for me they could have brought someone in after Richy went then it would have been fine to wait for a Broja on loan or whatever at the end of the window (although I'm not convinced he's this sure thing they seem to be assuming he is).

One could argue we have already held on too long…for a player that arguably doesn’t warrant holding on for.
He’s done nowhere near enough to warrant all the waiting, but I think the circumstances are the main factor.
Lampards relationship To Chelsea, and the fact it will probably be a loan.
I think if we had money to spend, and a wide choice of decent strikers we would have someone in by now.
It seems our market isn’t very big, and no standouts if Cornet, Adams, Dennis and Broja are our main choices.

Same with Allardyce before him with a much worse squad? Silva? Koeman and is 15 number 10s?
I think our decline was progressive and the system we played went to pot after Gueye left. Obviously I am talking with a great deal of hindsight - I actually thought Carlo had lost the plot for the second half of the season, but in reality I think he just had us playing out of our skin for the first.

Ultimately, our squad has been hideously balanced for some time. Midfielders haven't been collectively good enough for any system you could conceive of, we haven't had the pace up front to justify playing deep enough to accommodate our slugs at the back and when Godfrey looked like he might help for a while under Carlo, he has regressed as well. We've been a perfect storm of complete mismanagement and while I'm not naive enough to think this window is going to be the one that rockets us up to mid-table, we at least look like we've identified a way of playing (however unpalatable) that we can accomplish with the squad we have plus some key reinforcements.

If Onana's cameo is anything to go by then we're already a good way towards solving the problem of getting the ball up the pitch. We've got a couple of meat and potato centre halves who'll get us back to doing the basics well and HOPEFULLY we'll get some pace and guile up front.

Coady and Tarkowski are not long-term solutions so it may be that 5 at the back is a stopgap en route to a bigger transformation.

I hope not but after last season three games or five games if we are waiting till the end of the season is a fair amount of games and nothing is for certain. Also we need two forwards for me they could have brought someone in after Richy went then it would have been fine to waut for a Broja on loan or whatever(although I'm not convinced he's this sure thing they seem to be assuming he is).
Yeah it is hard to get too excited over Broja. Southampton are a very patchy team so when a player has patchy form there, it is impossible to tell if he is a good player fallen victim to their weirdness or just bang average and getting away with it.

The deals we have done seem to have been quite easy to do. Whether there's a general absence of suitable forwards or teams just don't want to let go until they have replacements I don't know. Hard to believe that we haven't been pushing since even before Richy left but then again we are Everton...

I think our decline was progressive and the system we played went to pot after Gueye left. Obviously I am talking with a great deal of hindsight - I actually thought Carlo had lost the plot for the second half of the season, but in reality I think he just had us playing out of our skin for the first.

Ultimately, our squad has been hideously balanced for some time. Midfielders haven't been collectively good enough for any system you could conceive of, we haven't had the pace up front to justify playing deep enough to accommodate our slugs at the back and when Godfrey looked like he might help for a while under Carlo, he has regressed as well. We've been a perfect storm of complete mismanagement and while I'm not naive enough to think this window is going to be the one that rockets us up to mid-table, we at least look like we've identified a way of playing (however unpalatable) that we can accomplish with the squad we have plus some key reinforcements.

If Onana's cameo is anything to go by then we're already a good way towards solving the problem of getting the ball up the pitch. We've got a couple of meat and potato centre halves who'll get us back to doing the basics well and HOPEFULLY we'll get some pace and guile up front.

Coady and Tarkowski are not long-term solutions so it may be that 5 at the back is a stopgap en route to a bigger transformation.
Good post.

Regarding Tarkowski and Coady, one has only played a deep back 4 for the last 6 years and the other a back 5 for the last 7 years so it is interesting to see where we go. I don`t buy that they can only play a back 4 or back 5 etc.......

One could argue we have already held on too long…for a player that arguably doesn’t warrant holding on for.
Sarr would add more to our forward line imho, but I dont think anyone bar Mosh knows how much money we actually have to spend.

Would like us to take a punt on Diaz as well. That would be a decent window.

I mean Chelsea supposedly want Gordon as competition for James at RM, which seems very strange
Exactly mate. Especially when they could get an serious upgrade on Gordon in Terrier and for half the price. These people clearly do not know what they are doing.

It is enough to make you think that the posters on GOT should set up a transfer strategy consultancy and make some serious wedge showing these clubs how to be successful. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.