Postponment of Premier League fixtures due to the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just isn't accurate, Dave. She was a global media icon, who more or less set the standard for how females in the public eye in the Western world were expected to behave in public for a couple of generations.

That's largely gone by the wayside, for better or for worse, but to the last she remained a symbol of a bygone era.
I get that, but I am able to "mourn" her loss AND also watch the footy.

At least we have tory eggball and cricket to watch.

200w.gif
Italian football and French football for me....oh no, wait: @Paul Rideout believes the whole world is wailing and gnashing its teeth, so they wont be on either. ?‍♂️

A lot of me me me culture, it’s a national event surely it’s right to stop the matches.
10 PL games with average 40,000 people directly affected, in the minority I think.
Any armchair fans could always watch a rerun of last weeks games
Do you prefer me me me culture or her her her culture?

Yes there are. But that's nothing to do with the Queen. Call it the cost of Living crisis or the Energy crisis. It's okay the other Liz has got this covered. She's going
to subsidise the energy companies, with tax payers money. Ensuring that their profits are not hurt.
and then make us pay for it again later..

Whoa whoa whoa, look at this from the BBC...

The government's national mourning guidance states cancelling or postponing sports fixtures is not obligatory and "at the discretion of individual organisations", including on the day of the state funeral.

On the day of the funeral, the guidance suggests events could be rescheduled so that they do not clash with the timings of the service and that organisers could hold a period of silence or play the National Anthem at events, with players wearing black armbands.

Now why couldn't the games have gone ahead with the national anthem and black armbands? That'd have taken care of stray shouts or chants.

The PL are spinelss gets.

7 billion people in this world and I guarantee you that apart from a few thousand of them no one gives a flying one.
Of course they wont. There is no reason for them to care.

People will pass comment, of course they will. It will be like me with Gorbachev or someone when he died. When I was heard I was like "oh that's a shame", I may have even posted on social media about it if I was an idiot (I'm not so I didn't) but beyond that I have not given it a second thought.

Realistically most people will be like "Oh ok, 96 eh?...what's for tea?" As it should be really. That's what most "normal" people would do.

Whoa whoa whoa, look at this from the BBC...

The government's national mourning guidance states cancelling or postponing sports fixtures is not obligatory and "at the discretion of individual organisations", including on the day of the state funeral.

On the day of the funeral, the guidance suggests events could be rescheduled so that they do not clash with the timings of the service and that organisers could hold a period of silence or play the National Anthem at events, with players wearing black armbands.

Now why couldn't the games have gone ahead with the national anthem and black armbands? That'd have taken care of stray shouts or chants.

The PL are spinelss gets.
It's totally to avoid a scene. We all know this surely? Protect the brand.

No, just consideration of the bigger picture.
The bigger picture is, there are millions of people at work now, who were looking forward to a weekend of football after a hard week at work, working to pay Utility companies and Petra dollar firms.

Now, instead of having fun they are going to sit in the house in their boxers drinking neat vodka throwing darts at pictures of The Queen.

Thats the bigger picture.

lol lol lol lol

....oh FFS, you're being serious aren't you? ?‍♂️
Yes, I am, Dave. You're sitting there acting like you lived on this side of the Atlantic. You didn't, so I'll thank you not to tell me how she was viewed here, how she was viewed by the people from the numerous other countries in this hemisphere and yours that I've spoken with over the years, or what the legacy of those perceptions was within those cultures.

I get that, but I am able to "mourn" her loss AND also watch the footy.
Here I completely agree. As I already stated in another thread, I think the decision to cancel some sports but not others, and which, tends to reveal some class issues.

Italian football and French football for me....oh no, wait: @Paul Rideout believes the whole world is wailing and gnashing its teeth, so they wont be on either. ?‍♂️

DaveK at it again. People from around the world giving one/being shocked that I don't give one that the queen has died != people wailing an gnashing it's teeth

Another prime example of Dave going to hysteric extremes to invalidate someone who has disagreed with his point, and as per failing.

You keep going mate, it's amusingly predictable.

No, just consideration of the bigger picture.
There is no bigger picture for regular people.

People have enough to worry about in their own lives without worrying about the passing of someone they didn't know. A passing condolence should be fine. State mourning is an archaic principle which has never really been an issue here due to the queen living for ages. If people are so inclined to be super mourners then fair play to them, don't put it on everybody else. Grief is, or should be, a very personal thing.

They could protect the brand AND go ahead with fixtures. That option for silence of an anthem hands them that choice.

WHY didn't they take it?
Football has just got it badly wrong. They made an early decision and don’t seem to have checked what other sports were up to, and I think they’ve badly misjudged the public mood on this. If they could wind back their decision I’m sure they would make a different one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.