Postponment of Premier League fixtures due to the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps then that is their failing, plenty of spaces to walk to, enjoy fresh air, avoiding energy bills and petrol costs.
More exercise clears and broadens the mind.
Being brainwashed to pay for a sport run by media barons with players paid more than they deserve.
Who are the bigger plebs?
I may don my big black abercromby coat and mourn like boss. "LOOK AT MY MOURNING". I will be the talk of the town.

Actually I live near to Birkenhead so that is actually quite possible...

Perhaps then that is their failing, plenty of spaces to walk to, enjoy fresh air, avoiding energy bills and petrol costs.
More exercise clears and broadens the mind.
Being brainwashed to pay for a sport run by media barons with players paid more than they deserve.
Who are the bigger plebs?
Are you really on a football forum calling people plebs for being football fans?

Why so?

The reaction abroad - and from people who are foreign nationals in the UK - has probably been more sympathetic than from most British people.

This is a massive, massive event. Whether we like it or not, or see the sense in it or not, she was a global figure that has been around for generations.

The Queen served the people.

Politicians/PM's/Presidents serve themselves.

Society would be a better place if we were more subservient to a higher power imho.

It is the governing bodies that have dictated the cancellations, not a state demanding compulsory mourning. Maybe the sport that really feels embarrassed by it’s wealth, image and the behaviour of some its supporters needs to be over the top at this time..
I don't really get your angle here to be honest. It's really weird whataboutery.

People just want to get on with the lives. Is that a bad thing? I personally don't think so.

With all due respect, everyone dies! So this is not a rare phenomenon, but yes, a minute's silence, etc. is in order. But kings and queens are not the glue of a society. Long since they have fought at the forefront, and sacrificed themselves for the people. The glue in society is the everyday things, such as e.g. kicking a ball, watching football with others, etc.

But yes, it is historic, and it will go down in the history books. However, the flood in Pakistan and a number of other climate-related things, the war in Ukraine, and the economic recession are also historical phenomena, some would say far more significant, but we do not cancel life to sit down to mourn for 10 days.

The Queen has probably lived a very good life, and is probably among the top 1 percent in world history. She has also exceeded the average lifespan - by a good margin. All this because she has been lucky with her genes, and born into the right family. She has done nothing to qualify for this life, or achieve it through competition. But my condolences and I hope you get through these difficult times. Meanwhile, children die every five seconds in the world, and approximately 80 million are fleeing war and persecution, ++ ++ but of course this is a unique historical phenomenon.
Don't get me wrong. I long for a class-less meritocracy and am not a royalist by any stretch - however this is a significant public figure that, like it or not, means something to a large number of people. Myself? I'm ambivalent, apart from the point I think that given the privileged role she never asked for, she did a very, very good job of fulfilling that duty, so must be worth a moment's pause and reflection out if sheer courtesy.

If other sports are going ahead then so should football,but equally I'm not arsed if a couple of games are set back a bit out of respect. Its just a game ffs.

No I’m saying those who can’t survive one weekend without a game more of a pleb (quote from earlier) than those called plebs for mourning the death of the queen
They CAN survive one weekend without a game.

They don't want to nor see why they should.

It's not that hard.

Personally? I don't care either way. Gives us a chance to get some players back and avoids are tricky away game for a bit. I don't watch telly anyway so it doesn't effect me. Actually if it wasn't for coming on this site I could quite easily have missed her passing altogether!

They CAN survive one weekend without a game.

They don't want to nor see why they should.

It's not that hard.

Personally? I don't care either way. Gives us a chance to get some players back and avoids are tricky away game for a bit. I don't watch telly anyway so it doesn't effect me. Actually if it wasn't for coming on this site I could quite easily have missed her passing altogether!

Yeah playing West Ham at home with a hopefully fit first 11 is better than playing them off the back of a drubbing by Arsenal with whatever new injury we would undoubtedly pick up.

Are you really on a football forum calling people plebs for being football fans?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's more that some of the opinions on both sides of this argument are a bit of an overreaction.

There's people who would have been outraged if matches had gone ahead tomorrow, and are angry that others aren't mourning like they are.

Equally there are people who are really cross that lots of people are a bit upset at what has happenned. I even read earlier on here someone say it was "disgusting" that matches were cancelled. I love football, but it is only a game of football like.

Basically, I'm waffling a bit here, but my point is people are allowed to feel differently on this. Just because someone feels differently than another person doesn't mean one of them is wrong. I think we've forgotten in this country how to get along with people who think differently. Anyway, Everton won't lose this week, so I'm not too upset personally.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's more that some of the opinions on both sides of this argument are a bit of an overreaction.

There's people who would have been outraged if matches had gone ahead tomorrow, and are angry that others aren't mourning like they are.

Equally there are people who are really cross that lots of people are a bit upset at what has happenned. I even read earlier on here someone say it was "disgusting" that matches were cancelled. It's only a game of football like.

Basically, I'm waffling a bit here, but my point is people are allowed to feel differently on this. Just because someone feels differently than another person doesn't mean one of them is wrong. I think we've forgotten in this country how to get along with people who think differently. Anyway, Everton won't lose this week, so I'm not too upset personally.
Im just upset cos it means I now have to do something on Sunday I put off cos I was watching the footy.

I will get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.