2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just the same cycle over and over with football fans. It's tiresome

A young player gets picked and played regularly. Is madly inconsistent and has a few games being crap and the comments are out putting the boot in (not talking about just normal criticism of a bad game, and he did have a bad game)

Anybody assuming he isn't interested or trying or is arrogant or anything else are just talking through their arse as they don't know that.

If he ultimately isn't good enough he will end up a bit part squad player like Davies or will end up sold at some point. The manager will be the one judging how long to give him, it won't be Gordon doing the decision making, so all he is is a young player not currently doing very well which I thought supporters generally gave time to.

In some fans eyes, in the media and in some of the managers talk it is true he has been talked up a lot and is thought of as one of our best/key players but this has zero to do with the player and I don't see why it would make any individual fan change their assessment of the player himself as a youngster still learning.

I think it says more about some of the fans, that they cannot handle that right now none of us from week to week know how good we will be, know really how good our manager is and how good some of these players are. Sorry you can't skip to the final episode like a Netflix show, you've got to sit through all the crap along the way. Sorry for you that you have no patience if you don't get your drug of wins and goals or of performances that make you think any of our players are boss
Well thought out post mate.
No one wants to see ANY Everton player fail let alone a local lad.

But do you think his performances of late warrant a starting place ?

It's just the same cycle over and over with football fans. It's tiresome

A young player gets picked and played regularly. Is madly inconsistent and has a few games being crap and the comments are out putting the boot in (not talking about just normal criticism of a bad game, and he did have a bad game)

Anybody assuming he isn't interested or trying or is arrogant or anything else are just talking through their arse as they don't know that.

If he ultimately isn't good enough he will end up a bit part squad player like Davies or will end up sold at some point. The manager will be the one judging how long to give him, it won't be Gordon doing the decision making, so all he is is a young player not currently doing very well which I thought supporters generally gave time to.

In some fans eyes, in the media and in some of the managers talk it is true he has been talked up a lot and is thought of as one of our best/key players but this has zero to do with the player and I don't see why it would make any individual fan change their assessment of the player himself as a youngster still learning.

I think it says more about some of the fans, that they cannot handle that right now none of us from week to week know how good we will be, know really how good our manager is and how good some of these players are. Sorry you can't skip to the final episode like a Netflix show, you've got to sit through all the crap along the way. Sorry for you that you have no patience if you don't get your drug of wins and goals or of performances that make you think any of our players are boss

This is it really. Hes a young lad, for the most part doing his best.

He has a lot of promise, but who knows if he can improve further.

The way some people talk, it's as if he cost us 50m. He didnt, he was free.

I think the point I'd make on him would be that his progress last season was startling. He established himself as a 1st XI player from pretty much the wilderness. There was clear progress in his game over the course of the season, it was obvious even to the most casual observers.

Forget the transfer stuff over the summer, my slight concern is that he looks like he's stagnating slightly at the moment. He's put in 2 or 3 real stinkers this season and there's no improvement on what we saw last season. If anything his form has dipped a fair bit.

Having said that, he's got himself in the right positions to chip in with a few goals this season, so that's a positive, but we are at a point now, a third of the way through the season where I'm looking at our team and thinking that the wide areas are a real weakness for us and that doesn't say a lot for Gordon's form. He's still very young and inexperienced at this level and I still have a lot of faith in him, but I'd be lying if I said I'd been impressed with what I've seen from him for most of the last month or two

He could have no complaints if he was dropped, neither could Gray. Mcneil could come in and replace either but his best performance so far was him being defensively disciplined away at Leeds.

Scores a great goal against Palace by being positive on the ball. First chance he got on Saturday with the ball, instead of going forwards with it, his instinct was to turn back and ended up getting crowded out when there was no reason to.

Out of Gray, Mcneil and Gordon, Gray takes the most responsibility where he'll actually try and beat a man or take a shot but 9 takes out of 10 its the wrong decision on that particular moment. He'll never improve, he is what he is which is a hugely frustrating footballer. Gordon on the other hand hasn't even attempted to engage in any kind of battle with whatever full back he's up against, same with Mcneil. They're both happy to pass responsibility and ownership of the ball onto whoever is closest to them.

It's a shame Maupay can't take up one of the wide options tbh, just to offer us a bit more variety/options.

I reckon his forms taken a bit of a drop recently because he's playing week in week out, doesn't have much competition - last season he was fighting to play over gray, townsend, richy etc.
I think there is a lot of truth in this, at the moment Anthony is still only potentially a very good player but since January the lad has played continually for Everton and also England U21’s without a break, the short one in the summer wasn’t long enough. On Saturday and in the previous few games Gordon looked completely exhausted and it wasn’t as though he wasn’t trying it just looked like it was an effort for him to get involved in the game.

I honestly think he needs taking out of the squad because he is not doing himself justice at the moment as I don’t think he is physical able to do so, he looks knackered very early in each game he plays and that doesn’t seem right to me.

I think there is a lot of truth in this, at the moment Anthony is still only potentially a very good player but since January the lad has played continually for Everton and also England U21’s without a break, the short one in the summer wasn’t long enough. On Saturday and in the previous few games Gordon looked completely exhausted and it wasn’t as though he wasn’t trying it just looked like it was an effort for him to get involved in the game.

I honestly think he needs taking out of the squad because he is not doing himself justice at the moment as I don’t think he is physical able to do so, he looks knackered very early in each game he plays and that doesn’t seem right to me.

I take your point mate. But he was very good the week before.

Is it a case that hes 21 and hasnt gone a full calendar year as a PL starter yet, id make the point that its not totally unexpcted to see boom and bust performances in a lad of his experience in the game at this point.

I wonder sometimes do we expect too much of him all the time.

The way it is to my mind, is full tilt hes a player, getting that consistently is his and our job of work.

We just dont have the luxury of not playing him.

We give someone like Onana, a lot of lee way and he can be in out of games to. Doesn't mean hes a bad player but we apply the context and logic differently.

Both Anthony and Onana are going to have to learn consistency and taking on responsibility as they develop, the only way to to do that is to play them and give them that responsibility, we need to back ourselves to develop them, because developing players is something we have been rank at since about the mid teens.

Last edited:
I take your point mate. But he was very good the week before.

Is it a case that hes 21 and hasnt gone a full calendar year as a PL starter yet, id make the point that its not totally unexpcted to see boom and bust performances in a lad of his experience in the game at this point.

I wonder sometimes do we expect too much of him all the time.

The way it is to my mind, is full tilt hes a player, getting that consistently is his and our job of work.

We just dont have the luxury of not playing him.

We give someone like Onana, a lot of lee way and he can be in out of games to. Doesn't mean hes a bad player but we apply the context and logic differently.

Both Anthony and Onana are going to have to learn consistency and taking on responsibility as they develop, the only way to to do that is to play them and give them that responsibility, we need to back ourselves to develop them, because developing players is something we have been rank at since about the mid teens.
First of all I don’t think he was very good versus Crystal Palace but that’s down to opinion, I certainly thought he was knackered fro the off and was very slow coming back to defend every time he had gone forward.

We might not have the luxury of not playing him but playing him at the moment is not helping Everton and it certainly isn’t helping Anthony.

Onana is another luxury player at the moment who goes missing for minutes on end, does some brilliant work at times but not enough, for me anyway, but we can all see the potential he has, maybe he needs time out and replacing with James Garner now and again,Garner is a young player with plenty of potential, takes good free kicks and corners and has got a bite in his tackles and just as eager to impress as Onana is, I’d like to see a lot more of him.

Would prefer to see him off the bench in away games if I am honest. 100% deserves to be in the squad but needs a reset as has been looking tired of late (mentally and physically). I think he will do better in home games with the crowd behind him, he seems to lack the same energy away from GP.

First of all I don’t think he was very good versus Crystal Palace but that’s down to opinion, I certainly thought he was knackered fro the off and was very slow coming back to defend every time he had gone forward.

We might not have the luxury of not playing him but playing him at the moment is not helping Everton and it certainly isn’t helping Anthony.

Onana is another luxury player at the moment who goes missing for minutes on end, does some brilliant work at times but not enough, for me anyway, but we can all see the potential he has, maybe he needs time out and replacing with James Garner now and again,Garner is a young player with plenty of potential, takes good free kicks and corners and has got a bite in his tackles and just as eager to impress as Onana is, I’d like to see a lot more of him.

Interesting take mate.

Wed disagree there i thought he was very good Vs Palace. Very impactful and would disagree on the role of tracking back and supporting Coleman, i thought both did really well supporting each other in running that side. Id be happy enough if he posted that performance every week. Its an interesting point on his fitness though, lads have made it in the past, i thought he addressed it last season, but you could be right, maybe its an issue, athleticism i think is something that doesnt come naturally for him, say the way it does for Iwobi.

Its an interesting point on drifting and the tolerance we should or shouldn't have wit it, i dont disagree with you, Onana and Gordon can drift - you can see the potential there in both of them, though both the same age and have developmental needs.

The dilemma is do you build and put your faith in young players or do you hand say Delph and Gylfi a new contract.

We've gone a different way, backed the two boys and backed ourselves to develop them. Do they have to play every game? Im not sure how else we develop them and build their experience. Pragmatically the squad cant cover the loss, with Gordon anyway, unless he gets a breather, but hes started 12 of our 14 games and scored 3, hes our top scorer, so its a big call to take him out and for who.

Its a funny one, we say young players need time out of the team, but then our solution is to play another young player in Garner, im not being facetious about the suggestion and mins will come for him, but hes in the same developing player bracket as Onana and Gordon. Everyone want to sign and develop young players, but no one wants to play them when they are developing. Thats the thing with the debate, different levels of tolerance, instant success vs developmental incremental building.

I suppose, im thinking that the philosophy we have committed to is to play and develop these young lads, give them the experience knowing they will have boom and bust performances, but back ourselves to ultimately develop them to a point where they can be consistent week in week out...its an interesting dilemma - we haven't had any philosophy for a long, long time, so its stick or twist really. We have competing needs of wanting young players and wanting to develop them as a club, on the opposite side we have the pressure of results.

Id say loads on here will have different opinions, on whats best for the club based on either side of those competing needs.

Personally id like to see us persevere and develop them, even if you have to swallow the odd drifted out performance.

Last edited:
The Chelsea bid during the summer did the lad no favors, its created a huge expectation on the lad to be a 40mill+ player every week - lads will always be thinking if he has a bad game as hes developing, that we should have taken 40 mill or how ever much it was. While a good performance will be - well hes supposed to be a £40 mill player. The expectation level has changed significantly because of that bid and likely the dynamic also of Richarlison leaving and he responsibility to inherit that mantle of leading the wide forward line comparatively, you know in hindsight i wonder did Frank do him any favors giving him the 10 as well.

Hes our top goal scorer at the mo, to get that coming through your academy at any stage is gold dust.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.