January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go back for Broja and Gallagher at Chelsea. They cant be happy there getting 20 minutes.

….Broja is interesting given our previous links but he’s looked a bit ponderous in the cameo’s I’ve seen, including this weekend. Regardless of whether he’s happy, Chelsea are using him and Gallagher so I doubt they’ll be surplus unless Chelsea bring in players themselves.

The targets we were looking at over the summer (Kudus, Mudryk etc) give me better hope that there’s a thought process behind signings, more so than under Brands and Walsh

We all want changes but unless the snakes at the top have their heads cut off or fans go completely all in on protesting them out, there’s not much we can do

Links and rumours don't matter. What matters is who we actually sign, and we never sign the right players in the right positions. It's a crying shame that an established top flight club of our standing of 60 odd years, has a front line this poor, and this few goals in the side.

It still absolutely baffles me that so many people are still happy with our summer business.

….Broja is interesting given our previous links but he’s looked a bit ponderous in the cameo’s I’ve seen, including this weekend. Regardless of whether he’s happy, Chelsea are using him and Gallagher so I doubt they’ll be surplus unless Chelsea bring in players themselves.
Broja makes intelligent runs. And if he was playing for Evertron he wouldn;t face a wall of opposaition players trying to defend a drawing or winning position...which is what he and Gallagher have been faced with.

Broja makes intelligent runs. And if he was playing for Evertron he wouldn;t face a wall of opposaition players trying to defend a drawing or winning position...which is what he and Gallagher have been faced with.

…you’re very critical of DCL scoring record, how does it compare to Borja’s? I note he scored 6 in 32 for Southampton and has just one for Chelsea.

We also should replace thelwell and Fat Frank.
We’re stuck with McNeil for 5 years and Maupay for 3?
They are preparing us for the championship.
I'm not quite there yet with Frank & Thelwell out, however I agree those signings were shocking. Next couple of games will decide Franks future.

We need more than 1 good player, mate.
Exactly.

Iwobi is actually one of our better players. Why spend £30m or £40m on Maddison, who can only be accommodated in his preferred position / role by benching Iwobi? That doesn't cure the issues out wide, does it.

Plus spending the amount necessary to secure Maddison would almost certainly exhaust our entire budget. Shall we go back to having to sell because we're in breach of financial rules?

You cannot seriously be suggesting that

a) we could get James Maddison for £30m

b) that he wouldn’t get in the team ahead of Iwobi?
He'd certainly get in ahead of Iwobi, that's obviously not a point in contention.

The fact that you think £30m wouldn't be enough to buy Maddison is closer to the point I'm making. We have ten+ pages of people identifying Gray, Gordon and McNeil as underperforming: these are the only wingers / wide forwards we have, and that's the area most Blues identify as the weakest on the pitch.

I'm saying whatever money we CAN spend (and I doubt we have a spare £30m / £40m / £50m knocking about) would be far better spent upgrading the wide forward positions than it would be to upgrade elsewhere. Iwobi is by no means our biggest problem!

We can be linked to whoever, but the attacking players we bring in are not good enough to play for Everton. Our January business last year makes me pretty worried about what we will do this year. We need a goalscorer, and everyone knows we need a goalscorer but we will probably panic again.

But we didn’t have Thelwell for the January business and we weren’t linked to crap United reserves in the Summer so think you’re forgetting this is a new regime.

But we didn’t have Thelwell for the January business and we weren’t linked to crap United reserves in the Summer so think you’re forgetting this is a new regime.

New DOF, but same board and same owner. I didn't see much difference last summer. We still failed to improve in the area of greatest need, and spent 30m + on two extremely limited attacking players who don't carry a goal threat. And 11 goals from 14 games is the proof.

He'd certainly get in ahead of Iwobi, that's obviously not a point in contention.

The fact that you think £30m wouldn't be enough to buy Maddison is closer to the point I'm making. We have ten+ pages of people identifying Gray, Gordon and McNeil as underperforming: these are the only wingers / wide forwards we have, and that's the area most Blues identify as the weakest on the pitch.

I'm saying whatever money we CAN spend (and I doubt we have a spare £30m / £40m / £50m knocking about) would be far better spent upgrading the wide forward positions than it would be to upgrade elsewhere. Iwobi is by no means our biggest problem!

That’s all fair enough but Maddison would cost over £100m and will be heading to one of the top clubs in the world.

That’s all fair enough but Maddison would cost over £100m and will be heading to one of the top clubs in the world.
I'm not arguing what Maddison is or isn't worth. I'm arguing that he doesn't play in the positions we most need to upgrade at this point. His ultimate fee and destination does not matter one jot to Everton.

Is he a better AM / 10 than Iwobi? Yes.

Do we need to upgrade the AM / 10 position more urgently than the wide forward / wing positions? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.