2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just said it there. 'Inexperienced'. Everton can't afford someone with no experience right now.
Nobody of note with experience would touch us with a barge pole. Happy to give a promising young manager a couple of years to show improvement - see Arteta. Only get rid if we consistently play worse than when he joined.

Get to 40+ point this season, and it's a success.
High 40s next season with a more clear style of play coming through, and some solid signings performing.
Then we get top half in our first season at the new stadium.

OR we can jump back on the carousel for another rotation.

Nobody of note with experience would touch us with a barge pole. Happy to give a promising young manager a couple of years to show improvement - see Arteta. Only get rid if we consistently play worse than when he joined.

Get to 40+ point this season, and it's a success.
High 40s next season with a more clear style of play coming through, and some solid signings performing.
Then we get top half in our first season at the new stadium.

OR we can jump back on the carousel for another rotation.
Well be lucky to get to 40 points this season. I don't know what the solution is. But if we're deepin trouble at the end of Jan. What ever we do is a massive gamble.

If we hang on to Frank Lampard and this season ends like last season did, with us just avoiding relegation, does anyone feel that he should remain in charge for the 2023/24 season?

Alot of posters were laughing at Arteta during his first full season.

Last season Lampard saved us from relegation. But this is his first full season and having a number of younger players in the team and a toothless forward line is limiting what he can do.

I think he should have 2 more summer windows working with Thelwell to rebuild.

Yes, progress is rarely linear. On the other hand, what is perhaps a source of concern is that Lampard doesn't quite know which direction to go. For example, everyone knew the direction of Arteta's project at Arsenal, but the results were not forthcoming. Meanwhile, the performance was partly encouraging, and the underlying statistics were positive. Something he himself was ridiculed for.

I struggle to see this in Lampard's case. I don't care if he gets fired or not. In general, it is difficult to see any positive future for Everton. We just repeat the same mistakes. I can hardly bear to watch them play anymore. The Moyes period is just a distant memory, but god how I miss it.

Arteta started from a far higher position and was able to spend far larger amounts on individual players.

It would be stupidity not to hold onto Lampard for the next couple of seasons at least to give him a fighting chance.

We could play the same long ball style as your namesake Egil Olsen, Allardyce or have Moyes...not sure what they could do with Maupay up top and Gray selfishly playing for himself.

Alot of posters were laughing at Arteta during his first full season.

Last season Lampard saved us from relegation. But this is his first full season and having a number of younger players in the team and a toothless forward line is limiting what he can do.

I think he should have 2 more summer windows working with Thelwell to rebuild.

Arteta started from a far higher position and was able to spend far larger amounts on individual players.

It would be stupidity not to hold onto Lampard for the next couple of seasons at least to give him a fighting chance.

We could play the same long ball style as your namesake Egil Olsen, Allardyce or have Moyes...not sure what they could do with Maupay up top and Gray selfishly playing for himself.
Maupay needs to play in a 3 though which is why it was a pointless signing as we don't play with a proper 3 upfront.

Bit mad this, surely even a blind man can see this squad is between relegation and upper mid-table with results reflecting the fact. We've run the full gambit of managerial spuds from serial euro trophy winners to young potential and defensive pragmatists none have made a dent.

The odds of a managerial change being the answer doesn't stand scrutiny. He's doing alright with the tools available but this perverse glee in calling for a new coach every 5 mins seems like an addiction for some.

Maupay needs to play in a 3 though which is why it was a pointless signing as we don't play with a proper 3 upfront.

We should be playing a 4213 every game.

Bit mad this, surely even a blind man can see this squad is between relegation and upper mid-table with results reflecting the fact. We've run the full gambit of managerial spuds from serial euro trophy winners to young potential and defensive pragmatists none have made a dent.

The odds of a managerial change being the answer doesn't stand scrutiny. He's doing alright with the tools available but this perverse glee in calling for a new coach every 5 mins seems like an addiction for some.

100%

If we hang on to Frank Lampard and this season ends like last season did, with us just avoiding relegation, does anyone feel that he should remain in charge for the 2023/24 season?
I suppose that depends on what you expected this season to look like.

I’d keep him because I think that’s pretty much where this squad is. Thought before the season started we would struggle to score enough goals to stay up and avoiding relegation would be the main objective to then focus on the forward options in the summer.

I don’t see what else we could expect - there’s nobody you could expect to score 10 goals this season, there’s very few you could expect to score 5 goals this season. The same goes for assists.

Fair question - I think I'd want us to not be in the mix with 8 games to go or so, and if that happens then I'm ok with him staying in charge

If it's as close as last year, after bringing in 6 or 7 players then I'd be a little bit more concerned

The point with Arteta was that he and the club immediately knew which direction to go (concept). Playing style, investing in younger players, etc. At the same time, we chose Ancelotti, which meant investing in short-term solutions and a pragmatic playing style. I miss this clarity from Lampard.

Aren't we at the top of the statistics when it comes to long balls?

Egil Olsen's postulates are quite simple: If the opposing team is in balance, then we take minimal risk (long ball), and aim to win the ball back in favorable areas. If the opposing team is slightly off balance, the ball must move quickly in a longitudinal direction, and we must finish the attack as quickly as possible. So it is the balance of the opponents' defense that decides our tactics. In defence, you have a pure zonal defence, pressure, cover and balance, and we want to lead the opponent into the center of the pitch, because here it is advantageous to win the ball. The first defender should try to tackle as much as possible, as long as you have cover.

What does Lampard want? Apart from long balls?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.