Relegation 23/24 Thread

I still believe we’ll stay up, but this is a matter about the integrity of the sport now which I can’t look past. If points deductions mid season for arbitrary accounting quirks are going to be normalised then the game is dead as we know it.

They're changing the rules at the end of the season in order to ensure City and Chelsea don't need to be punished

Us and Forest are the only two that will ever get hit with this and it won't happen again to anyone else

If Forest's fans weren't such a gaggle of bumwhiff's then this might be an oddly effective bonding experience between our two sets of supporters that would stand the test of time lol

I feel a bit better about our survival chances after getting those points back, but I struggle to decide one way or the other whilst the second potential deduction hangs above us

It's a disgrace that it can happen mid-season and that they just take/add the points when appeals are still outstanding

It's just a woefully inefficient way of applying sanctions that only makes relegation battles like this all the more stressful for those involved

I bet the TV companies like Sky and TNT love it though because it constantly keeps an edge of jeopardy to everything

I still believe we’ll stay up, but this is a matter about the integrity of the sport now which I can’t look past. If points deductions mid season for arbitrary accounting quirks are going to be normalised then the game is dead as we know it.
It should never have happened Mike full stop, the league hierarchy are an absolute joke, the league is absolutely corrupt and we have been the whipping boys no doubt about that.
I watch with interest as to what will happen with Forest and City. hopefully they'll be too busy with them to bother about another one for us.

The only positives I can take from today are these

1. We are now ahead of Forest in the table, both by a point and on GD, with the same games played. And any further deduction for Forest is very likely to be greater than any further deduction for us.

2. We are now 5 points clear of Luton. Their game in hand cannot be used to overtake us now even if they win. If we draw a game on a weekend they lose, we stretch the gap to effectively 3 games given our better goal difference. Even considering a future deduction, if we match their points total between now and May we should end up above them. And we are capable of that.

3. We are now significantly clear of both the bottom 2 sides who looked like they are not going to be a factor for us.

4. Hopefully the players react positively to moving up a place or two in the table, with some breathing room, ahead of a winnable home game, where we can put daylight ahead of Luton who play after us.

And despite all these points, the points deduction remains a complete disgrace, as will any further deductions handed out to ourselves and/or Forest

Or you could stop being a jerk to people by using that term?

That one seems easier to be honest. You could make that change right now and it wouldn't cost you anything

But anyway, we're taking the thread off topic

COYB, let's get to safety!
Another name eh Mikey 🤣
We're not getting relegated in my opinion and the sooner we all get behind the team at fan level the sooner we'll pull ourselves out of the relegation zone.
Whilst not rejoicing, those 4 points back today are massive.
We can now put this charge behind us and hope we don't get hit with another one.
Forest now need to worry to about their charge which will obviously be to our advantage.
In the short term more to be positive about than being negative.

I think biggest unrealistic shout was us actually getting 3 points..... but it has to turn at some point doesn't it? Getting a little bit of luck which we have missed over recent months.

And I do think no matter how crap we are (maybe you make your own luck), we have been unlucky.
Yes mate, defo

I don't wish relegation upon you but going down may be a blessing in disguise. It's over 70 years since you were last relegated and most Evertonions weren't born so i think most of you are fearing the unknown which is fair enough. But all you're doing now is treading water under a 'Dychenasaur' manager bereft of good footballing tactics.

And if you do go down it's not the end of the world and I've seen City relegated 5 times in my lifetime and we came up to the PL under Kevin Keegan as champions in 2001 and haven't been near relegation since.

You'd probably have to shed a few big players(wages) and deadwood but i don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe integrate a few academy players with experience under a forward thinking manager and you'd soon be on a winning streak and on the up. I found it fun going to aways in numbers on the beer watching us winning. Apart from mid season mid table obscurity in 99 third division season it wasn't that bad, at least we had something to cheer about.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward as they say. I hope you don't go down btw, but it could be a blessing in disguise.

Good luck.

I don't wish relegation upon you but going down may be a blessing in disguise. It's over 70 years since you were last relegated and most Evertonions weren't born so i think most of you are fearing the unknown which is fair enough. But all you're doing now is treading water under a 'Dychenasaur' manager bereft of good footballing tactics.

And if you do go down it's not the end of the world and I've seen City relegated 5 times in my lifetime and we came up to the PL under Kevin Keegan as champions in 2001 and haven't been near relegation since.

You'd probably have to shed a few big players(wages) and deadwood but i don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe integrate a few academy players with experience under a forward thinking manager and you'd soon be on a winning streak and on the up. I found it fun going to aways in numbers on the beer watching us winning. Apart from mid season mid table obscurity in 99 third division season it wasn't that bad.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward as they say. I hope you don't go down btw, but it could be a blessing in disguise.

Good luck.
Ordinarily I wouldn't disagree with you, but our situation is fairly unique.

We are building an extremely expensive new stadium, we are already in financial trouble, so relegation at this time would be very very bad. We need to find a way to stay up.

Ordinarily I wouldn't disagree with you, but our situation is fairly unique.

We are building an extremely expensive new stadium, we are already in financial trouble, so relegation at this time would be very very bad. We need to find a way to stay up.
I understand your new stadium predicament but you'd still fill it in the championship. I'm just saying from my experience of being a fan being there it turned out ok. I don't get any pleasure watching Everton struggle season after season btw.

I understand your new stadium predicament but you'd still fill it in the championship. I'm just saying from my experience of being a fan being there it turned out ok. I don't get any pleasure watching Everton struggle season after season btw.
with all due respect, city's case is unique in almost the entire history of the game. you are looking back fondly on the nightmare of your successive relegations with the glory that followed.

6 points still stolen means we’re still in the brown stuff, which I expect is what the PL want.

Zero integrity in this league season due to the cack handed premier leagues handling of events - two thirds affected by this whole charade hanging over us and the other teams in the mix.

Hopefully the players have clarity now and can get on with the stuff they can affect on the pitch and win some football matches.

You'd probably have to shed a few big players(wages) and deadwood but i don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe integrate a few academy players with experience under a forward thinking manager and you'd soon be on a winning streak and on the up. I found it fun going to aways in numbers on the beer watching us winning. Apart from mid season mid table obscurity in 99 third division season it wasn't that bad, at least we had something to cheer about.

Good luck.
Thankyou for this glorious head pat mate.

We will fill the ground in any division.

It's about surviving financially if we go down, with all the debt built up through paying for the construction.

Good luck.
and when we get someone who values possession, the moans of "get it in the box" will become very loud. Goodison does not like passing around the defence

This season is all about staying up, and when you take away the deduction we've currently achieved 5 points less than last season's entire total, which we got to with 3 points on the final day. Realism is important too.

I've agreed with the idea of going down not being that bad, but as the truth about our scary financial situation becomes more clear, it probably would spell the end of Everton as we know it. The footballing side of things comes second, we just have to stay up by any means necessary right now.