Summer 2024 transfer thread.

You need to count Gomes and Danjuma because they have been squad options and will need to be replaced

The kids won’t have a chance, Dyche said so himself a couple of weeks ago when basically stating there is nobody in the U21’s remotely good enough.

And he doesn’t coach these youngsters, like Ellis , he asks them what their weaknesses are, the tells them to figure out how to improve it by themselves.
I think at the time he was talking about players at the club.
Mills Welch and Campbell were all on loan or would be if not for injury.

If you look back two summers ago it was alright imo (well not Maupay). Given the endless injuries Mina had a robust CB was a must and we can't say Tarks hasn't been anything but exceptional value in that regard. Has he missed even one game through injury in the prem since signing?

I was fine with Coady aswell. Yes he made the odd mistake with his lack of mobility but there were a decent number of clean sheets with him and Tarks as the combo.

The issue with signings sometimes is you then have to change the manager six months later and they come in and decide a summer signing performing adequately isn't for them and give an expensive squad player a run. Coady dropped after four games and Keane comes in to wreak defensive havoc is classic example.

Branthwaite leaves as expected and that's a huge void to fill in given how he's played all season. Him and Tarks works, Tarkowski might not work that well with his replacement (or might pick up a 1-2 month injury eventually).
I think that Tarkowski has been a bigger bonus for Branthwaite than maybe the other way around, given that Branthwaite is still a young lad learning his trade.

In general I think Thelwell has done well with very limited funds.
I think Onana, McNeill, Garner, Tarkowski have proven to be good value. We also could have Kudus for a small fee only for Utd completely overpaying for Antony for multiples of his worth. Beto is still a question mark and Maupay certainly didn't work at Everton but I think we will get our money back there.

Free transfers of older players is not a disaster as long as the wages are not silly , loans are only for a season so no long term damage there.

Any money spent however needs to be on players that can develop and improve.... and they should have lots of pace.

I think that Tarkowski has been a bigger bonus for Branthwaite than maybe the other way around, given that Branthwaite is still a young lad learning his trade.

I think Onana, McNeill, Garner, Tarkowski have proven to be good value. We also could have Kudus for a small fee only for Utd completely overpaying for Antony for multiples of his worth. Beto is still a question mark and Maupay certainly didn't work at Everton but I think we will get our money back there.

Free transfers of older players is not a disaster as long as the wages are not silly , loans are only for a season so no long term damage there.

Any money spent however needs to be on players that can develop and improve.... and they should have lots of pace.
Need this so bad on the wings and some creativity, we need so many players this window going to be massive for us

For me, this has always been van Basten. He was my growing up hero. Don't see him talked a lot. R9 is even a bit better level, but gets way more credit and people are much more aware of him.

Also from my experience of U-9-U16 manager of 20yrs, R9 is still named a lot by them nowadays. Maybe because he played and now owns a club in Spain, but might be different cause he never was in England.

But R9 was complete striker, one of the best ever. The fact that he played being impaired with his knee or injured a lot of his prime on the pitch is even more asthonishing. Imagine what he could have been without the injuries and more deducation on football in the 2000s.

Haven't seen many players like that after that Adriano had that potential to become the new R9. Endrick now maybe.
Van Basten was brilliant there is a video on YouTube of his top 10 goals and that famous volley in Euro 88 for Holland is not even the top and when you see how good the No 1 is it's clear to see why.

The Last paragraph is definitely not dyche I don’t think he will accept young players to coach and build a young team. And this is why the sporting team/DOF should build 90% of the squad and pick managers to work with that squad . This apparently was one of the reason Moyes nearly left West Ham in the summer, the sporting director wanted young players and Moyes wanted Experience.

I think it will be a disaster if we lose Onana, Branthwaite and maybe a few other first teamers and dyche is allowed to spend what money we have on
The back of that.

Van Basten was brilliant there is a video on YouTube of his top 10 goals and that famous volley in Euro 88 for Holland is not even the top and when you see how good the No 1 is it's clear to see why.
What I'm pretty sad about is that there are so many great players of that time kids are not aware of. They know the players of the fifa game, like Zidane, R9, Maradona, Matthäus and so on.

But there have been so many great players Le Tissier, Baggio, Sammer, Battigol, Romario, Hagi, Stoichkov that are barely talked about nowadays.

What I'm pretty sad about is that there are so many great players of that time kids are not aware of. They know the players of the fifa game, like Zidane, R9, Maradona, Matthäus and so on.

But there have been so many great players Le Tissier, Baggio, Sammer, Battigol, Romario, Hagi, Stoichkov that are barely talked about nowadays.
Ive just been to play football with my Grandson, he was Everton, he said I was Burnley, I just had to play a game of football as Josh Brownhill.

Kids of today dont know what they missed.

Ive just been to play football with my Grandson, he was Everton, he said I was Burnley, I just had to play a game of football as Josh Brownhill.

Kids of today dont know what they missed.
You know you cannot live it the past, but you need to keep the memories. Nothing more real to Everton atm. But it makes me sad to see that Baggio is more known for a missed penalty in a world cup final than for being a top 10 player itw of the 90s.

Oh that's a lovely thing. It must have hurt you to be compared to Burnley though haha, hasn't it? Hope you had a great time.

I think Van Basten is overlooked to a degree as he had to retire early due to injury

To think, we probably didn't even get to see how good he could have been

Baggio was amazing. Can still remember his goal in Italia 90 and the commentary
Same could defo be said about R9.

But anybody who watched football in that era knows how good R9 and Van Basten were.

The Last paragraph is definitely not dyche I don’t think he will accept young players to coach and build a young team. And this is why the sporting team/DOF should build 90% of the squad and pick managers to work with that squad . This apparently was one of the reason Moyes nearly left West Ham in the summer, the sporting director wanted young players and Moyes wanted Experience.

I think it will be a disaster if we lose Onana, Branthwaite and maybe a few other first teamers and dyche is allowed to spend what money we have on
The back of that.
Everton FC is a club now where I think money will be spent very carefully and with an eye to the development of players and their possible future sales.
We have seen that it is the sale of Barkley, Stones, Lukaku, Gordon , Vlasic and others who have largely kept this club afloat.
Unfortunately I think Branthwaite and Onana will be added to that list.

Any money spent I feel will be on younger players, Kevin Thelwell, has already said as much.
Signing a couple of older players is not a problem as long as they are free or near enough... Tarkowski and Gueye are examples of that.

I see us spending money on players in the 18-23/24 age group.

I think our finances are such that any manager will have to make a very strong argument for the club to spend money on older players.

The biggest part of Kevin Thelwells job since he arrived was getting rid of players, not signing them.

Now, that the decks have been largely cleared I doubt that he will want to go back to that mess.

Same could defo be said about R9.

But anybody who watched football in that era knows how good R9 and Van Basten were.
Exactly, sadly they didn't have the same medical possibilities and treatments like nowadays.

ACL and things like that meant to be a career ending often till like 20yrs ago.