Would it get worse without Dyche?

If Dyche left now, would Everton be in deeper poo?

• Total voters
All of this is on the money.
Kind of yes, kind of no:

However subjectively speaking, and from those who watch us week in week out, it's getting pretty dire. His selection and in game decision-making has become muddled, and the style of play has deteriorated significantly. We're now v one dimensional and only play direct, and I don't see us finding or even trying to find other routes to goal. It's a grim watch and we're sliding.
It's not getting pretty dire - it was always like this. Style of play has been the same since day 1 and we've only played direct, but because teams sussed us out with it we've got to hoof now. In-game decision making is and always has been non-existent - we've had 75-85 min for the first subs since his first game in charge.

Objectively speaking, he's done a good job. Without points deductions we'd be sweet for relegation and but for some woeful refereeing and some terrible luck/shocking finishing we'd maybe have enough points to be in the top half and everyone would be saying how much of a miracle he has performed.

And, up until December, I actually didn't mind watching us play. We were direct, but we were also able to control periods of games with possession at times and won the ball high up the pitch with good pressing. It felt to me at the time like Dyche had evolved his style of play a touch.

However subjectively speaking, and from those who watch us week in week out, it's getting pretty dire. His selection and in game decision-making has become muddled, and the style of play has deteriorated significantly. We're now v one dimensional and only play direct, and I don't see us finding or even trying to find other routes to goal. It's a grim watch and we're sliding.

I'm also starting to get fed up with him and the shabite he talks as well. Saying at the weekend that we deliberately set out to win that way was pure bs and seemed to be a defence of criticism he has received. Was as if he was trying to demonstrate that he has more than a plan A, when in actual fact it was just a reductionist version of Plan A, or a Plan A lite. And when a Manager starts defending himself over the team in the press then it's normally a bad sign.

A lot hinges on the run in, so the jury is out.

Cheese on bread
Great to see a comment that I 100% agree with. Didn't really understand the criticism up until the end of the year as like yourself, I enjoyed watching us play and we were creating chances. And completely agree with you with where we are now.

Personally think he has done a good job on the whole and should definitely stick with him until the end of the season but whatever the outcome of relegation I think a change in management at the end of the season would be the best outcome for everyone.

Kind of yes, kind of no:

It's not getting pretty dire - it was always like this. Style of play has been the same since day 1 and we've only played direct, but because teams sussed us out with it we've got to hoof now. In-game decision making is and always has been non-existent - we've had 75-85 min for the first subs since his first game in charge.
We beat Newcastle at home playing some decent footy at times. Yeah we went long for periods of that game but, when they dropped off to defend the second balls, we weren't afraid to build up from the back and be brave on the ball. Our 3rd goal in that game is a case in point

That's the point, we mixed it up with some direct and some possession. But it feels to me like we've given up on that.

Tbh I'm fine with us playing a more direct way (within reason) if it means we avoid the drop and are comfortable mid table for a season or two

But when it's bad, christ it's bad

School of science this isn’t! I know that Pickford’s distribution is better than most but hoofball as we increasingly see isn’t the answer .. it’s not like we are suddenly scoring more either !

School of science this isn’t! I know that Pickford’s distribution is better than most but hoofball as we increasingly see isn’t the answer .. it’s not like we are suddenly scoring more either !
Well, we've gone from scoring none, to scoring 1. Albeit a penalty, and a spawny fluke 😂. And technically, 1 is more than none.

Dyche is a polarising figure. I think Chris' poll from last weekend showed a significant 'sack' vote.

It's all grim, the football is crap, the squad are crap etc. Some argue he could and should get more out of the squad and at least have a go more often. Others in the Dyche thread are more accepting, sone arguing he's done well in the circumstances.

So, fellow Blues, do you think we'd be in trouble or a worse situation going forward if Dyche left now?
I'd love to see a parallel universe where Bielsa was appointed instead

Yes. Atleast till we sort our our recruitment and academy process.

We need to decide what type of club we are off the field, then recruite a manager that fits that system.

Till that happens, a pragmatic, functional manager is the best we could have.

Well it happened to Fat Sam, he got us safe but there was no way he was staying for the season after
If we were to sack him, we should do it when the season ends and after we have found a replacement. Everything will get worse if we aren’t without a manager for at least the next 5 games. Take Sunderland 2021-22 when they sacked lee johnson

I think even without the points deduction most would want a manager who failed to win a game in 3 and half months sacked.
And sign who? I think he should be sacked in the summer, not now. It would just cause chaos. Also, not many things can be done when we had 2 strikers that could do nothing and had players like ashley young and jack harisson in our roster