Relegation 23/24 Thread

…I never get this ‘on the beach’ view. Professional footballers will play with a freedom when the relegation pressure is off, more likely to enjoy themselves and want to push opposition into the mire. I’d have much preferred Brentford to be in the mix when we play them, their situation makes this a more difficult game for us.

There’s a bit of the ‘crazy gang’ about Brentford, I can see them looking forward to our game, my hope is that we’re just better than them anyway.

For me, it’ll be a huge plus if we don’t lose at Luton. That could be a very difficult atmosphere to overcome.
Agree that “on the beach” isn’t a massive factor as it can work either way.

Plus OTB isn’t really a factor with Brentford yet because even though it’s going to be a low total no team on 33 points is going to regard that as job done.

They should have a pretty good mindset going to Luton: yesterday’s win means they’re under no immediate relegation pressure but they’ll know a win at Luton and they’re safe and can relax. So highly motivated but not under crippling pressure.

…I never get this ‘on the beach’ view. Professional footballers will play with a freedom when the relegation pressure is off, more likely to enjoy themselves and want to push opposition into the mire. I’d have much preferred Brentford to be in the mix when we play them, their situation makes this a more difficult game for us.

There’s a bit of the ‘crazy gang’ about Brentford, I can see them looking forward to our game, my hope is that we’re just better than them anyway.

For me, it’ll be a huge plus if we don’t lose at Luton. That could be a very difficult atmosphere to overcome.
History tells us the "on the beach" comment is backed up by fact. Teams with nothing to play for struggle to motivate themselves. It doesn't mean they'll always lose, as they may be so superior to the opposition that motivation doesn't make a big enough difference, but it's definitely a truism.

Yeah with GD advantage 35 points would be pretty bulletproof. One of Forest or Luton might pull off a miracle run and get to 36 but not both.

In fact just the two wins might be enough if one or both of them are against Forest or Luton themselves.
Beat Luton, draw against Forest, Brentford and Sheff Utd almost certainly safe. Draw with Luton and beat Sheffield United, probably safe. Lose to Luton and don't beat 2 of Sheff Utd, Forest and Brentford, probably relegated. Basically, don't lose to Luton!

The life of some Everton Fans seems to be moan more when we have won and think the worst when results go pretty well for us lol
From my point of view I don`t trust this manager and team to deliver the required points to stay up. We`ve got 1 win from the last 14 games, we now need to get 2 or 3 more in the next 7, half as many games.

Yes my opinion of the manager reflects that lack of faith, no manager should go 13 without a win and keep their job... Hopefully he gets moved on in the summer.

From my point of view I don`t trust this manager and team to deliver the required points to stay up. We`ve got 1 win from the last 14 games, we now need to get 2 or 3 more in the next 7, half as many games.

Yes my opinion of the manager reflects that lack of faith, no manager should go 13 without a win and keep their job... Hopefully he gets moved on in the summer.

Well whatever you think of the manager and team, the cold hard facts are they have already delivered 35 points, 10 more than Super Spirited Luton. So clearly they can do what is required to keep us up.