Summer 2024 transfer thread.

greaves and philogene both be atleast 20 mill plus, i do think ballard at sunderland maybe between 15/20
Ballard is one I thought about too. Lot of talent on that Sunderland side. Have only watcheds a few games but I am a little worried about his foot speed at the next level. But he is been great for them this year has some technical ability and passing range, arsenal academy pedigree. Its a worthy shout

I’d rather sign a load of kids from the championship and give the academy lads a go.

You look at the England squad and think at some point Kane was on Leicester’s bench (with Vardy) , Maddison was at Norwich, Bellingham at Birmingham, Rice couldn’t get a game at West Ham, Stones at Barnsley, Toney unwanted at Newcastle etc.

Everton should be getting in at the critical point with these players and just when they think they’re frustrated at not playing we come along with an opportunity to play first team football in the PL. It’s what Moyes did so well with Jagielka Baines Lescott and then Stones right at the end.

So I know everyone says we should tap up South America and Asia but frankly we can’t even cover every blade of grass in the uk for a start! We’re no longer even competing for decent Scottish Welsh and Irish talent.

Branthwaite is probably the only decent play we’ve made in terms of this sort of signing since Moyes left and look how that might repay us.

He and Archie Gray are the two most highly rated young midfielders in the championship in their age groups.

If we were to keep Branthwaite and Pickford then that could help us to attract these young English players.

However, everyone else wants them too.

greaves and philogene both be atleast 20 mill plus, i do think ballard at sunderland maybe between 15/20
I'm not saying you're wrong i'd have no idea but over 20 million for someone with Greaves's record would be silly money there must be much better value options than that.

I'm not saying you're wrong i'd have no idea but over 20 million for someone with Greaves's record would be silly money there must be much better value options than that.

Weve also been linked with Rav Van Den Berg.

However he may be best as a right back (seeing as our right backs are tucked inside).

Would they come though. That Philogene is ridiculously talented. Get crucified here for overplaying to the crowd !
Would like to think so is about us giving them chances to start step up and they could get another move. Looking at onana braithwaite and see could also get international call ups. Still a tough sell but is what we must do
Ballard is one I thought about too. Lot of talent on that Sunderland side. Have only watcheds a few games but I am a little worried about his foot speed at the next level. But he is been great for them this year has some technical ability and passing range, arsenal academy pedigree. Its a worthy shout
Prefer that greeves but feel he woukd cost more
Weve also been linked with Rav Van Den Berg.

However he may be best as a right back (seeing as our right backs are tucked inside).
He any good

Decent young Champ players (taken out the mega expenny):

GK: Patterson / Cooper

LB: Davis / Giles
CB: Greaves / Thomas
CB: Ballard / Cresswell
RB: Hume / Drameh

CM: Neil / Gruev / Kone / James
CM: Hackney / Sheaf / Burger / Ekwah
CAM: Azaz / O'Hare / Frokjaer / Perkins

LW: Rowe / Mumba / Mehmeti
ST: Stansfield / Conway / Coburn / Leonard / Miles Leaburn (Leauge One but love him)
RW: Whittaker / Asprilla / Ba / Dolan

Some good work was done last summer in slashing the wage bill. That should continue this year with Gomes and Dele leaving- that’s £220k a week/ £11m a year saved on players who have contributed very little. I’d offer Gana another year on reduced terms.

We need to try and move on other players who don’t play/contribute. Keane, Maupay, Holgate. The loans of Danjuma and Harrison haven’t been particularly successful so they’ll hopefully just be sent back. That’s approximately another £250k a week/£13m a year saved.

Thelwell needs to go back to the Moyes approach of young, ambitious players from the Championship. someone who can kick the ball into the goal would be nice and some players who are fast would be luxurious!

He and Archie Gray are the two most highly rated young midfielders in the championship in their age groups.

If we were to keep Branthwaite and Pickford then that could help us to attract these young English players.

However, everyone else wants them too.
We should be shopping in the Championship though. Wharton at Palace has been great, they’ll easily double their money on him. Young players moving up to the Premier league who are hungry and keen to prove themselves are infinitely preferable to cast offs from Man U or Chelsea who see us as a step down.

Decent young Champ players (taken out the mega expenny):

GK: Patterson / Cooper

LB: Davis / Giles
CB: Greaves / Thomas
CB: Ballard / Cresswell
RB: Hume / Drameh

CM: Neil / Gruev / Kone / James
CM: Hackney / Sheaf / Burger / Ekwah
CAM: Azaz / O'Hare / Frokjaer / Perkins

LW: Rowe / Mumba / Mehmeti
ST: Stansfield / Conway / Coburn / Leonard / Miles Leaburn (Leauge One but love him)
RW: Whittaker / Asprilla / Ba / Dolan
What about the lad from Coventry. He is banging them in

Greaves next to Tarks would be solid enough. He’s been top draw for Hull this season. He’s still fairly young too, so will have a sell on value if he does well - which I imagine the club will prioritise on any money down transfers.

If by any means we can keep hold of Jarrad then you sell anyone else and anything not nailed down first, but unfortunately think the club will have too.

Expect the squad to be filled with free transfers, hopefully with what little money we have or generate, spent on younger players who will be able to be sold later down the line for decent profits.

Some good work was done last summer in slashing the wage bill. That should continue this year with Gomes and Dele leaving- that’s £220k a week/ £11m a year saved on players who have contributed very little. I’d offer Gana another year on reduced terms.

We need to try and move on other players who don’t play/contribute. Keane, Maupay, Holgate. The loans of Danjuma and Harrison haven’t been particularly successful so they’ll hopefully just be sent back. That’s approximately another £250k a week/£13m a year saved.

Thelwell needs to go back to the Moyes approach of young, ambitious players from the Championship. someone who can kick the ball into the goal would be nice and some players who are fast would be luxurious!

We should be shopping in the Championship though. Wharton at Palace has been great, they’ll easily double their money on him. Young players moving up to the Premier league who are hungry and keen to prove themselves are infinitely preferable to cast offs from Man U or Chelsea who see us as a step down.

Yeah Wharton was someone I thought had the ability & potential to step up (albeit hardly seeing him play). Other posters didnt have the same view which shows how hard it is to find the right fit.