Match Thread Chelsea v Everton - Waffle, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Beto? He's an absolute carthorse!

Terrible game. Terrible performance with no stand out players. I think it was easy for Gomes to look half okay in the second half when we're 5 nil down and Chelsea switching off.

But if we'd have scored from the chances early on who knows but the lack of spirit and class was frightening
Come on. It's not easy to put a ball over the bar from 2 yards. Give the lad some credit.

It is Saturday 3pm 1st March 1997, Everton are 11th in the table having won 8 drawn 8 and lost 11, goals for 34 and against 40. The line up that day was as follows:

Neville Southall
Claus Thomson
Terry Phelan
Dave Watson
David Unsworth
Nick Barmby
Gary Speed
Joe Parkinson
Graham Stuart
Duncan Ferguson

I like many was there that day, the first half was quite easily the worst performance I have ever seen by any Everton team in the 40 years I have been watching them. David Unsworth had an absolute stinker and was culled at half time. At half time we were losing 2-0 with goals from Ian Wright and Bergkamp. The second half was better but the game finished 2-0.

Last night however was by far much worse and goes to show how we as fans have been failed fundamentally by the custodians of our Club. For too long we as fans have been served utter drivel and kept in the dark about the mismanagement of the club. We are a laughing stock, I have spent some time thinking about why are the PL hunting us down? Is it because they have something on us that us fans don't know? Is it that the Club is that rotten they want Everton out whichever way possible?

Last night was the darkest day in our history, we're doomed until such time as a suitable custodian takes over. Whether it is 777 who knows, with media as it is today they don't look great, but surely nobody can be as bad as what we have been served for the last quarter of a century, is it not?

No mention of the Club sorting the fans out for the trip to Chelsea last night, which goes to show they don't care about us so why should we care about them?

It is Saturday 3pm 1st March 1997, Everton are 11th in the table having won 8 drawn 8 and lost 11, goals for 34 and against 40. The line up that day was as follows:

Neville Southall
Claus Thomson
Terry Phelan
Dave Watson
David Unsworth
Nick Barmby
Gary Speed
Joe Parkinson
Graham Stuart
Duncan Ferguson

I like many was there that day, the first half was quite easily the worst performance I have ever seen by any Everton team in the 40 years I have been watching them. David Unsworth had an absolute stinker and was culled at half time. At half time we were losing 2-0 with goals from Ian Wright and Bergkamp. The second half was better but the game finished 2-0.

Last night however was by far much worse and goes to show how we as fans have been failed fundamentally by the custodians of our Club. For too long we as fans have been served utter drivel and kept in the dark about the mismanagement of the club. We are a laughing stock, I have spent some time thinking about why are the PL hunting us down? Is it because they have something on us that us fans don't know? Is it that the Club is that rotten they want Everton out whichever way possible?

Last night was the darkest day in our history, we're doomed until such time as a suitable custodian takes over. Whether it is 777 who knows, with media as it is today they don't look great, but surely nobody can be as bad as what we have been served for the last quarter of a century, is it not?

No mention of the Club sorting the fans out for the trip to Chelsea last night, which goes to show they don't care about us so why should we care about them?

I remember that Arsenal game, Unsworth misjudged the flight of the ball for one of their goals. What Joe was thinking signing the likes of Claus Thomsen I don’t know.

Chelsea 4th in the form table since new year and whilst a bit hot and cold they actually played very well and blew us away

BUT we made it easy, they targeted the right hand side and scored 2 that side first half, Palmer's first was well worked but some half assed challenges from us, we gifted them the 3rd, heads went and whilst we did a little better second half still lapsed into the first half play towards the end and conceded more

It's all about how good or bad the reaction is now

Every now and again a team receives an ignominious thrashing before the world. Yesterday was Everton's portion. Now it's back to the business of mostly drawing our way to safety.

Folks, I'm so sorry. I've Harry Kane'd this by doing the match thread.

Think it needs to go back to @SerenityNigh

Edit, I mean @summerisle. Ffs, I can't even get that right.

Don't think I've ever tried a match thread. I'm sure that would disappoint. For that matter, not sure I even read many of the match threads, although I do like the pictures from time to time. (Do they still have pictures?)

I did try a transfer thread update one summer, but that was so much work and it wasn't very good and people have such unreasonable expectations.

The players in the main don't seem arsed , still get their obnoxious wages even when they are as poor as that. No passion or pride for the club. Mercenaries who don't deserve the support of us fans . The club is in a mess both on and off the field and last night just summed it up how far our once proud club has declined. No hope until there is a complete overhaul, but sadly that might not be enough.
We all know they ain't the best in quality , but a bit of desire and effort would be a start.
Dyche hasn't got the nouse to get us out of this and I doubt if anyone could at this late stage. I think it falls on the players, but sadly the majority don't care and won't be around to pick up the pieces.