Match Thread Everton 2-0 Liverpool - Chat, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a massively expected defeat and we have a huge winnable game against Brentford coming up.

We don't have the players to mix it up too much while still putting out a strong side, so it'll largely be the same as against Forest and the same 9-10 players against Brentford too.

They'll be knackered by half time at the weekend but hopefully they can give it one gigantic effort knowing that three points there almost ensures safety.

This is what I think we'll see:

Pickford
Young
Tarkowski
Branthwaite
Mykolenko
Harrison
Onana
Gueye
McNeil
Doucoure
Chermiti

Doucoure, McNeil and Gueye off after an hour or if we're a few goals down at half time. Harrison too if there are options as he should start against Brentford.

At the weekend:

Pickford
Young (undroppable under Dyche)
Tarkowski (reliable and has proven his fitness over a season)
Branthwaite (same as Tarkowski)
Mykolenko (back to fitness, no other options)
Harrison (in the best condition from the squad to start 3 games due to being out the side recently)
Gueye (as long as he plays an hour against Liverpool can start here)
Gomes (earns a start after Forest, Liverpool have the legs on him so rest him)
McNeil (same as Gueye)
Doucoure (same as Gueye)
DCL (back to fitness after injury concern - not rushed back against Liverpool)

Last edited:
Just pack the midfield, we need the tallest players for set pieces which is a huge sort of their game and their crosses.

Pickford

Godfrey Tarkowski Branthwaite Mykolenko

Onana Gueye Garner

Doucoure DCL McNeil

Would be my team. It’s never a football match against them, we just need to compete on all set pieces, cut out mistakes, and physically bully them as much a possible.
We went 433 against them at Anfield under Lampard to match them up and ran them close that day. We had a few chances before they worked us out and ran out 2-0 winners late on. But we had a lot more pace in the team that day.

If we've learned anything in recent Everton it's that with a great victory (and arguably fortune) like Sunday - comes at a consequence. We are not able to enjoy Everton for too long, the Universe wont allow it. Pain and misery must be inflicted on Evertonians for their joyfulness on Sunday. And who better to deliver our fateful blow than the red doom lords...it's as if it was manufactured.

All that aside how utterly superb would it be to have these and well and truly finish their season.

You couldn't make it up. The devil's team. How far do we go back? 77? 84? Was there something in the 86 cup final I can't remember? The Don Hutchison goal was one of the more stand out ones.

They always have that player that turns up only against us.

First one I remember was the Alan Hansen handball / non penalt decision in the Milk Cup final, ffs how that wasnt given, not sure about '86 apart from the crap Gary Stevens pass straight to them that set up their equalizer?
Definitely the Hansen hand ball in the Milk Cup Final, as blatant penalty as they come!

In the 86 Cup Final, we went 1-0 up and they were panicking to the extent that they were fighting amongst themselves, particularly if I remember rightly Grobbelar and Beglin going at it in their penalty area! Then a few minutes later Gary Stevens had his “moment” and gifted them a way back in!

Let’s make the list that we will no doubt be adding to on Wednesday,

Graham Poll disallowing Don Hutchinson’s goal by blowing the full time whistle as the rolled into the goal.
Jack Rodwell being sent off for a tackle on Suarez, the striker jumping a foot off the floor, screaming in pain. Card was later rescinded.
Carragher pulling down Lescott for a none penalty.
Gerrard not sent off for a 2 footer on Gary Naysmith. Naysmiths scream echoed around the ground. One of the worst tackles I’ve ever seen on a football pitch.
Gerrard leaving his leg out and winning a penalty against a chasing Hibbert, the ref went to give a booking, Gerrard had a word, thus became a red.
Allison being allowed to take a free kick after stoppage time. Allowing Origi to score in 90+6.
Add to that for those of us that are old enough and were there the Clive Thomas decision to disallow Bryan Hamilton’s goal in the 1977 semi final at Maine Road!
Which weirdly was 47 years ago today!