Dyche; A Great Achievement?

Eggs

Player Valuation: £100m
Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

We’re safe, we can have the discussion on how well Dyche did.

Last edited:

Were it not for our points deductions we'd be sitting pretty on 44 points. If 8th gets Conference League we'd have an outside shot of that too, one season after surviving on the final day, and spending very little money whilst selling multiple first team players, under the backdrop of the most complicated ownership struggle ever. He's not a miracle worker, he's a meticulous, often maligned and misunderstood gaffer who is as talented as any of the flavour of the week names they trot out every season as the next Pep. We're very lucky he's here. Onto next season with the gaffer, I'm very optimistic.

I think even those that don’t like him as an individual or don’t like the football we are playing have to admit he has done well.

We still have a Frankenstein squad, there are probably 10 players in the squad he would rather not have. He admitted that because of the finances we couldn’t resign Townsend, we had to sell Cannon and Simms. In an ideal world im sure there are a few more he would have signed if he could to give us more options.

We have had no board and no proper ownership for the entire season, the chairman died and we have had 2 separate points deductions totalling 8 points.

Hopefully the ownership gets sorted very soon and the PSR gets scrapped and we can sign a handful of players in the summer and we can see what he can do without both arms tied behind his back.

I'm critical of his style of football,absolutely.
But I go along with the whole post, I just hope we see a better style of football ,ie pass the ball through midfield, think Beto late goal v Newcastle and McNeil goal against Forest, lovely well built goals, see more
of tha, and there's no reason we can't start afresh next season, then I'm a happier lad.
But hat tipped to Mr Dyche this evening.

I dont want to take anything away from Dyche and the players but I recently bought a half-price retro Everton polo shirt from the.club shop and we've not lost since. I'm not claiming that our uptick in form is ALL down to me,but...

Mskes you think, doesn't it.

….pm me your address and I’ll send you a couple of brand new ones free of charge ;)

I understand the criticisms, but really he's stood tall and given us a figurehead when all the suits at the club let us down and were ready to capitulate.

He's been the difference between survival and the Championship...x2 seasons.
Agreed! another moyes he won't be. Still not 100% what sort of manager we need. We want the fortress but also want to play sexy football..