Dyche; A Great Achievement?

With a squad that is probably the worst quality we’ve had since Moyes came in 20 odd years ago he’s brought in 44 points before we play Luton (only in with a chance of staying up because of forests points deduction), Sheffield United at home (must be one of the easiest fixtures there’s ever been in the premier league as they sit on 16 points from 35 games!) and Arsenal away where yeah we’ll likely get beat. We could finish the season with 50 points ignoring deduction after two ‘great escape’ seasons with arguably better squads!!

Yes he’s bad with late subs
Yes he keeps picking Young for some reason
Yes he’s a bit David Brent
Yes we defend first and attack later (though that’s playing the teams strength tbf)
Yes we went on a horrible run

But this is a big big achievement regardless

One season to go, but if he can get us into that stadium a Premier League club, in the face of all the things we've got going against us these last couple of years, he'll have played a very significant part in the history (and the future) of this club.

Might not be recognised in the same way as managers who've lifted titles and trophies, but the impact of relegation on an already struggling club could've been devastating. Now get us to that new ground.

Incredible job to keep us up. Can't be having him as 3rd best manager in our history though Eggs because for good or bad "nil satis nisi optimum" is still our logo. Big Joe won us a cup and so ranks above him immediately in my mind.

….arguably 3rd greatest in terms of achievement. Royle was fantastic but in the season we won the cup we avoided relegation by 5 points and I think he had a much superior squad. I’d also have Royle as the better manager but I’d like to see Dyche with better quality at his disposal as I think he’d do well.

I understand the criticisms, but really he's stood tall and given us a figurehead when all the suits at the club let us down and were ready to capitulate.

He's been the difference between survival and the Championship...x2 seasons.

Yeah it’s one thing arguing about football aesthetics, it would be a completely different discussion if we’d gone down either of these two seasons with the very future of the club in question.

He’s done of the most important jobs of any Everton manager. Moyes guided us brilliantly through a period when we were mortgaged to the hilt with a sell to loan transfer policy and now Dyche is doing the same in similar times. The right managers at the right times for the club

I understand the criticisms, but really he's stood tall and given us a figurehead when all the suits at the club let us down and were ready to capitulate.

He's been the difference between survival and the Championship...x2 seasons.

I think, for maybe the first time in my time here on GOT Dave, I agree with every word of your post here.

Him keeping us up last season is almost glossed over now, but it was a huge achievement.

This season he's had to deal with a squad which has struggled for 2 years, two points deductions, chaos off the pitch and (of lesser importance) a chunk of the fanbase who have never taken to him (and probably never will).

I accept the misgivings, because towards the end of that winless run I did think that perhaps the bottom had fallen out of the whole thing (and the Chelsea result also made me wonder), but again he's followed that up with a run of form which has seen us clear of relegation with 3 games to go despite 8 points deducted and we'd currently be level with media darlings Brighton if we had our points back, with a considerably poorer squad.

Overall, Dyche has done a great job but there should be a note of caution here in that what we went through from Jan to April shouldn't happen again.

….arguably 3rd greatest in terms of achievement. Royle was fantastic but in the season we won the cup we avoided relegation by 5 points and I think he had a much superior squad. I’d also have Royle as the better manager but I’d like to see Dyche with better quality at his disposal as I think he’d do well.

The reason we were so close to relegation was Royle didn’t come until after 14(?) games and we were rock-bottom. He did an incredible job in 94/95.

I think Dyche was the right man to get us out of this mess, he’s a pragmatic no nonsense type of manager and our play has reflected that. Honestly don’t think anyone could have done better with this group of players. There another discussion to be had, should he be the manager to lead us into the new stadium and era.