Homepage Article Analysing The Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
@catcherintherye's latest. Have a read ;)

Great article, thanks.

I have never doubted Pickford's talent, just his mental state, his maturity and his confidence. (So, all in all, quite worrying)!

In the derby he seemed far calmer, did the basics well and then went on to make some outstanding saves. Olsen's presence has no doubt helped him to focus in on what's important.

Defensively we looked so solid. We seemed mentally and tactically ready for everything. We were composed and positive. Keane, Godfrey and Holgate were a unit.

We appeared to leave the emotion of the occasion in the dressing room and concentrate on the game plan. No headless chickens. And when Carlo saw that Gomes was both under performing and a red card waiting to happen he removed him.

Richarlison was back to his best, showing great skill, fight and his nasty edge. Gone was the petulance and moodiness.

I am so pleased for Tom Davies, now on a run of games where he has really performed.

With Allan and Dom coming back in we have to push forward and use the confidence gained from the derby to go on a substantial run and claim that fourth spot which is up for grabs.

Duncan's enthusiasm and fight mixed with Carlo's calmness and astute tactics could yet yield us a place in the sun.

I hope they've got a good plan for City in the cup. Believe!

I am still sooooo happy. I've lost count of the amount of times I've watched the game, the highlights, the last 10 minutes, etc,.

COYB.

Great article. The physicality is an interesting point. The article flags heading which has been a huge benefit from a scoring and defending perspective. Doucoure and Allan when fit have helped the midfield massively to give a mobile and tenacious team.

However, we are still only a couple of injuries away from a team including Gomes, Sigurdson and James which I think was shown up badly last time it played. Max 2 out of 3 for them in my eyes. Also recruitment of some speed merchants this summer.

The point about lack of physicality for the RS was also very interesting for essentially the loss of 1-2 players. I'm not going down the PED route but you have to wonder if the drop-off is recoverable from this group.

Very good article.

Amidst the justified euphoria, we have to apply some cold-headed logic also. So I agree I took some satisfaction from Ancelotti's more muted reaction.

Southampton on Monday is where our full focus needs to be. The team owes us one at Goodison as well.

I think we are developing a decent side and our progress is testament to Ancelotti getting results in the midst of injuries, a team that largely isn't his own, and psychological hangups.

We actually have to start believing in ourselves a little more. Beginning by dealing with Southampton. Let's give them a bloody good beating. We are not where we want to be but by the same token, we have improved hugely and are plainly not as bad as we were. Lets show it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.