Homepage Article Everton's Attitude Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
You know it must be bad if even I've bothered to try and write some words.

You know it must be bad if even I've bothered to try and write some words.

‘give him time to resolve Everton’s problems’. This really, all day long. If not him then who? Because these problems do not go away upon a change in manager, that’s been proven multiple times now

My worry is 4 of the starting 11 last night were Carlo's signings. Some of the others players like Pickford, Digne, Richarlison and DCL you'd think will probably be in Carlo's first XI next season too. So is it really down to 3 players (Coleman, Keane and Holgate)?

The attitude is definitely missing but there's way more issues than that here. We went from playing attractive attacking football at the start of the season to this utterly turgid, negative, passive style of play. With the same players.

My worry is 4 of the starting 11 last night were Carlo's signings. Some of the others players like Pickford, Digne, Richarlison and DCL you'd think will probably be in Carlo's first XI next season too. So is it really down to 3 players (Coleman, Keane and Holgate)?

The attitude is definitely missing but there's way more issues than that here. We went from playing attractive attacking football at the start of the season to this utterly turgid, negative, passive style of play. With the same players.

My worry too.

Doucoure and Rodriguez don't look match fit to me.

I have absolutely no worry about that, but completely agree with your point.

I'm going to question why Davies was playing somewhat decent, and was dropped for Doucouré, who against Villa was dead on his feet after 60 mins, but continued to play the full 90 twice, in 4 days, when he clearly was not ready for it.

James, Allan, Godfrey and Doucouré all improve our squad. Sadly, we're absolutely lightweight in pace, and attacking bodies. We need to address that really, and in reality even though it must sound like a broken record, we need to overhaul that in the summer. A Central Midfielder, Right back, Right Winger, Left Winger and Striker are absolute minimum requirements to improve this squad.

For me, you've got to look at players who are not contributing "enough", and how we move them on that for me is Holgate, Bernard, Iwobi, Sigurdsson, Delph, Gomes, Coleman (backup is fine), and then possibly Keane for me.

I genuinely believe the signings we've made have been really promising this season (bar King, but lets not even go there), and I feel what we're missing is a big time player who can grab the game by the scruff of its neck and win it for you... was Arteta or prime Baines the last we had? Maybe Lukaku. We're absolutely toothless, and there's no fight, urgency or real energy to the side.

DCL needs support, he cannot play every minute of every game, Richarlison needs a dose of reality, but equally needs support. Every decent side had a powerful midfielder in the middle running the show, and bags of pace everywhere, we haven't had that for so long.

Dunno either. Whitaker? Small?

Can't keep rewarding failure, dropping them for whomever would send a message.

I’d throw Branthwaite in next season. He’s young and will make errors but at least has a chance of improving unlike Keane and Holgate. I’d take any young player in midfield ahead of Davies Gomes Siggurdson. I’d also play whoever is the best right back because they can’t be worse than Coleman of Kenny.

Good article, you certainly got your point across. I'm sure the vast majority of Evertonians will agree with you.

Totally agree about Ancelotti. No one is above criticism but if we were having a clean sweep of the Club he'd be the absolute last out the door.

He deserves a chance to make something of this Club and I believe he will be given it. It's on those above him now to bring that quality in - and not go into another new season with gaping holes in the squad.

Agree with your point, but I think the argument is that a better SQUAD means the likes of Richarlison and Digne who are in terrible form, and Doucoure who is obviously knackered, would sit out games like last night’s. Hopefully the first two would get the message and redouble their efforts in training, and Doucs would come back firing on all cylinders. As it is we persist with these players because the alternatives don’t bear thinking about.

Agree with your point, but I think the argument is that a better SQUAD means the likes of Richarlison and Digne who are in terrible form, and Doucoure who is obviously knackered, would sit out games like last night’s. Hopefully the first two would get the message and redouble their efforts in training, and Doucs would come back firing on all cylinders. As it is we persist with these players because the alternatives don’t bear thinking about.

It can be that simple

Move more dross out from the first XI and the bench, replace with a bunch of players who will compete to keep their place or win it back

However I do understand concerns that what we buy in might not be good enough.

It'd be amazing to get an early boost in the transfer window. A couple of big moves out from the group that played a lot of minutes this season and then movement on what's coming in.

It might just be symbolic but I think seeing one or two of these wasters moved on early in the window would get us believing a change is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.