New Everton Stadium Discussion

The BBC article quotes one of the board of UNESCO blaming BMD and the Liverpool Waters Project .

The city council should just call their bluff and question their stance and whole credibility.... what is there to lose?

The world heritage title is at best a "nice to have" gong..... but that really is all you can say about it. It is like the Simod cup of national/international honours in terms of what it brings to most of its holders. It is intended to raise awareness of historic significance and to help protect important features relating to that, but in our case it has given no benefits and has stifled redevelopment repeatedly. Liverpool waters has been watered down dramatically from the original outline scheme, where any talls have been cut back and has mostly stalled for years.

There are almost 30 UNESCO sites in the UK and I think most people would be hard pressed to name any of them. One obvious one some might guess is the Tower of London. That is currently surrounded by multiple modern tower blocks that dwarf it. As far as I know, there were no real objections or threats raised when these domineering structures were planned and built so close to a near 1000 year old castle.... it would seem UNESCO needed this site more than the tower needed them. Yet any mention of putting a few talls along a predominantly derelict, disused and mostly featureless waterfront and these people are up in arms. There have been some terrible historic/architectural losses in Liverpool since WW2, but BMD will not be one of them.

The rather arbitrary mapping out of the heritage site to extend to BMD in its buffer zone in the first place only adds to any lack of meaning to the title and their objections. Perhaps it's just better to have had and lost than to have never had at all...... and say "thanks but no thanks".

Is this going to be another of your 'things?`

I shared a video he posted with NO COMMENT of my own added.

Do you disagree with what he says in the video?

No? Sound.

Is this going to be another of your 'things?`

I shared a video he posted with NO COMMENT of my own added.

Do you disagree with what he says in the video?

No? Sound.
I do disagree.

The loss of WHS is not a boost to Liverpool. McKenna comes across like a big kid.

This whole world heritage site thing is laughable. If you look at the site now from over the water all you see is a mess and if you look carefully an old tower. I know what I'd rather be looking at. Did they kick up a fuss when the rest of Liverpool was developed into what I can honestly say has improved the town centre and Albert Dock area 100% or weren't they around then. Go and campaign for the homeless or the terrible injustices being done in the world and our super rich country instead of complaining about something which is gonna bring jobs to the city and make it a better place to look at and more importantly a better place to be in.

Juan loosely translated: Where should we go this summer on holiday love?:

Juanette: How about Liverpool? Rich history working city in UK?

Juan: don’t be daft girl, it’s not a heritage site! No empty derelict docks, no Juan!

Good riddance. As it matters in the jeffing slightest. Who honestly plans anything with UNESCO in mind. People go to Liverpool because it’s Liverpool.
I go to Liverpool because Everton are there end of, I'll go to BMD when the new stadium is up and running.. I never heard of BMD before Everton went about buying it, I didn't know that the waterfront was a world heritage site before Everton went about planning. In short everything I know and care about in Liverpool city revolves around Everton, and honestly couldn't care less what else happens in the city.

I go to Liverpool because Everton are there end of, I'll go to BMD when the new stadium is up and running.. I never heard of BMD before Everton went about buying it, I didn't know that the waterfront was a world heritage site before Everton went about planning. In short everything I know and care about in Liverpool city revolves around Everton, and honestly couldn't care less what else happens in the city.
Those of us who live in the city care and even without the new stadium I'd still want that area redeveloped because it's a dump.

Work hasn't even started so I fail to see why they would withdraw the status when there still isn't a 100% guarantee that it will happen.

It's been done to death now but the positives of the project will outweigh the cons. Whilst one dock will go, it will bring people up into an area where they can appreciate the remaining docks. The remaining dock system will be conserved and enhanced.

Liverpool is a working city, it needs investment and it needs to provide jobs and homes. Whilst it is a shame to lose the status I think Liverpool will cope without it and continue to thrive.

As far as I know, there were no real objections or threats raised when these domineering structures were planned and built so close to a near 1000 year old castle....
There were loads, not just from UNESCO but from EH etc too. In fact, the only reason the Shard is called the Shard is because EH described the design as "a shard of glass through the heart of historic London" when they were trying to get it stopped! The name caught on.

Difference is, whilst UNESCO made plenty of threats about WHS, and put the Tower of London on an endangered list (where it still remains I think), they never followed through with removing the status. I guess that's where the clout of London comes in. Or maybe they came to reliase the shard is actually a pretty good building?

But there were definitely a lot of protests and noise around all of those developments.

Last edited:

Everton Football Club are an historic institution of Liverpool who deserve to be accommodated. It is in the interest of the city of Liverpool for Everton to be thriving and in the 21st century a new ground is a necessity.

However, is there a bigger problem here. Everton may be an institution the city should be proud of, but their current bedfellows, Peel Ports are an underhand, parasitic company, who Everton fans should look into and the damage they are doing to the Liverpool City Region. There could be more to this than meets the eye, with Everton Football Club merely caught in the eye of the storm.

Everton Football Club are an historic institution of Liverpool who deserve to be accommodated. It is in the interest of the city of Liverpool for Everton to be thriving and in the 21st century a new ground is a necessity.

However, is there a bigger problem here. Everton may be an institution the city should be proud of, but their current bedfellows, Peel Ports are an underhand, parasitic company, who Everton fans should look into and the damage they are doing to the Liverpool City Region. There could be more to this than meets the eye, with Everton Football Club merely caught in the eye of the storm.

Oh hello mate!

Say again Arthur?