Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a man who could be our captain

Bring a blue home.
Only 34, too. Pair him up top with Rondon.

Coleman is the sort of player/person that would never normally be considered as captain, but is picked based on 2 factors, seniority and lack of a stronger candidate.

He is not someone that will give more because of the arm band, or someone that will stand that bit taller or fight that bit harder. In fairness to him, he would give his usual 100% effort regardless, which is a quality we should appreciate.

But he doesn't strike me as a leader. He is very much a loyal servant, but to me, he does not inspire his team mates or shoulder the burden when we are looking for direction.

And the fact he doesn't know when to lead the team out having played here for over a decade wind's me up and points to a greater lack of attention to detail that is missing in the mentality of the team. 2 home games running, he has lead us out too early, and 2 home games running we have lost winnable games.

Im not saying this is the direct reason, but it does point to a wider problem of preparedness and concentration.

It needs addressing.

Allan for me. Then mina.

Allan this season has been boss and gets himself about. He clearly has good relationships with the other players and brings the more volatile ones back down (richie).

This says everything tbh. A centre back who can’t head a football has been brought into the club.

I mean Godfrey has plenty of other talents.

He isn't the complete package by any means, that's what coaching is about.

He's going through a rough patch, he's a 23-year-old CB still learning, and has a lot of areas to improve on. Physically he has the attributes and COVID took a tool on that. He's gradually getting back but I'd like us to stop exposing our players' weaknesses (which they are not short of) time and time again, too.

Allan for me. Then mina.

Allan this season has been boss and gets himself about. He clearly has good relationships with the other players and brings the more volatile ones back down (richie).
Was at least partly at fault for 2 goals the other day.

It just never stops.

People demand we change captain, then we do, and we're just as crap, and people think it's the captain again.

Was at least partly at fault for 2 goals the other day.

It just never stops.

People demand we change captain, then we do, and we're just as crap, and people think it's the captain again.
Don't get me wrong, I think any player we make captain has mistakes in them. God, the best players in the world make mistakes.

But in terms if being a captain I the pitch, I think Allan and mina offer the most.

But in terms if being a captain I the pitch, I think Allan and mina offer the most.
Mina sometimes seems more interested in playing for Columbia than the club that pays his wages. Not sure it's very wise to give a captaincy role to a guy who is constantly out with injuries here and there.

Mina sometimes seems more interested in playing for Columbia than the club that pays his wages. Not sure it's very wise to give a captaincy role to a guy who is constantly out with injuries here and there.
I've no issue with him wanting to play for his national team. Why would we discourage that, or wish him to not be good enough to do so?

Every member of our first 11 was injured last season and he was actually in the squad for 30 of the league matches last season, more than the actual captain who was only in 28. So makes no difference in that sense.

We haven't had a effective captain since Pip Neville and he was a very average player

Allan maybe, barring the 15 - 20 minutes per game he switches off, after that Pickford, that's it?

If you recruit players who have strong mentalities generally, the issue of on-field leadership becomes moot.

The NEED for a strong, inspiring leader is greatest in teams or organisations where the general standards are poor. We have all said for a very long time that there is a noticeably weak group mentality in the Everton squad, and it has remained in place despite dozens of players coming and going over the last few years. A strong captain can alleviate some of the problems temporarily, but all that does is buy you a little time to ship out the weak links and bring in replacements.

Whilst a stronger captain would definitely help in the short term, the more complete fix is to pay more attention to personalities and psychological indicators when recruiting players. Mina, Godfrey, Allan, Doucoure, Townsend all have the "right" mentalities, as far as can be established from watching them on the tv. Richarlison has most of the raw materials but can be a bit immature, and I'd say the same about Digne. Gray and DCL show signs of being made of the right stuff BUT it wasn't that long ago Gray was seen throughout the game as a waster - thankfully he seems to be knuckling down and letting his football do the talking. The rest of the squad though? I worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.