Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the club is negligent, set on hiring someone and leaking names each day that are laughable, Lampard starts to appear acceptable compared. His development track record, and comfort with young players is at least something to hang some hopes on. But thats grading on a massive curve based on the other rumored choices. Broadly speaking this is a hire I would deem poor.

This may be attached to Lampard or not in part but if we appoint him, without a DoF and the current board, a likely outbound Richarlison come summer (maybe even DCL), thus a fair amount reinvested/squad turnover, that he would decide I think we are setting ourselves up to go down in 2 to 3 years time.

If this is not the moment to take stock of that risk, and set up a new board structure and the need of someone with a longterm vision being the primary decision maker, I think we are setting ourselves up for harder seasons than this one. The club needs a DoF.
We just had one … how did that turn out ?

I was all for giving him the job, but that starting XI and the 4-4-2 was such a startling error of judgement that it made me reel back a bit. It was a bit of an eye opener as to how tactically naive he still is.

I really hope he goes and gets a manager’s job somewhere and does well, because I’d love him as our manager at some point if he cuts his teeth and proves himself to be good enough.
this, basically

I bring it up every time someone says how badly they think lampard did. Theres a lot of important context with his time at Chelsea and thats why I ultimately think he did very well.

For those against Lamaprd, when I break down the argument, the main point seems to be because he's not as good as Tuchel. And that to me is a ridiculous argument. If Tuchel is our standard then we should get used to being managerless because no one of that calibre is coming here.
The main point with lampard is simply that it’s really difficult to judge how well he’s done. You obviously like him and so you look at the whole thing through that prism, but the reality is his career in management has been very short and in a lot of ways quite weird (the massive jump from derby to Chelsea, the transfer ban, the foot in the door to loan Chelsea players in the championship, no crowds etc, none of that is typical) and so far we’ve seen some good and some bad. It’s really difficult to know how he’d go about a job like this and what his style really is.

I was all for giving him the job, but that starting XI and the 4-4-2 was such a startling error of judgement that it made me reel back a bit. It was a bit of an eye opener as to how tactically naive he still is.

I really hope he goes and gets a manager’s job somewhere and does well, because I’d love him as our manager at some point if he cuts his teeth and proves himself to be good enough.
To be fair to him I reckon against 75% of sides in the league those tactics would have worked. They wouldn’t work long term so if that’s all he’s got it’s no good, but after 4/5 days of leading them I think he just wanted to be compact, hard working etc and grind out a result with the crowd behind them. Gerrards experience of derbies and digne being involved last time he was in charge screwed him over a bit because they came prepared and matched us for intensity, but not many sides would have.

The main point with lampard is simply that it’s really difficult to judge how well he’s done. You obviously like him and so you look at the whole thing through that prism, but the reality is his career in management has been very short and in a lot of ways quite weird (the massive jump from derby to Chelsea, the transfer ban, the foot in the door to loan Chelsea players in the championship, no crowds etc, none of that is typical) and so far we’ve seen some good and some bad. It’s really difficult to know how he’d go about a job like this and what his style really is.
That's fair. I liked what I've seen but its not a huge sample.

The one thing I'd say is that the experience route has hurt us badly with recent appointments. We need to find the next good manager and let them establish themselves here. The only way we get the next top manager is by finding them and giving them a chance before someone else does.

There are also no risk free choices here. Everyone is a risk to some extent. This is lower risk for me though.

Honestly, I’m here for any positive spin on Lampard. I would of course love him to be a success.

I know he was well regarded at Derby, which I suppose in many ways is more representative of how he’ll do at Everton. Unfortunately, I didn’t pay a lot of attention to his time there!
I'm not entirely sold on him as would have ordered kovac, but do think we could do worse. And I wouldn't have minded him in the summer either when he was linked then, so potentially feels like 6 months lost by going for the name that has won things 20 years ago.

To be fair to him I reckon against 75% of sides in the league those tactics would have worked. They wouldn’t work long term so if that’s all he’s got it’s no good, but after 4/5 days of leading them I think he just wanted to be compact, hard working etc and grind out a result with the crowd behind them. Gerrards experience of derbies and digne being involved last time he was in charge screwed him over a bit because they came prepared and matched us for intensity, but not many sides would have.

I think it’s such a basic thing to see that we need 3 in midfield though, it was the easiest thing to do tactically to match them up in that area, no one would’ve had any arguments if we played 4-3-3 and were just beaten by the better team. But we made it very easy for them by surrendering control of the game playing the way we did. It’s not like the 4-4-2 was justified in the end, we were absolutely terrible.

If Lampard can have a similar effect to Vieira at Palace then we're laughing. I know we're a bigger job (sorry if that sounds snobbish @Alan Whittle ) but that's the direction we should be looking towards if we're going to start drawing parallels. Lampard comes to us more experienced than Vieira was in the summer.

They'd better get a move on with this new stadium, because the Lampamaniacs are going to tear Woodison to the ground if he doesn't get this job tomorrow.

Lampard dotting i's and crossing t's on personal terms according to Bobble. Says Pereira is still in London with his staff and Kia. Lampard thought yesterday that job was his. Dunc told today to go to London for interview with Moshiri Usmanov and Kia

Usmanov/Moshiri decided on a last minute meeting tomorrow. Says we are messing Lampard about and he's getting frustrated but wont walk away.

Bobble calm on it being Lampard but obviously this can change tomorrow

And we were unlucky. Xg had us ahead in tbe game. Their goal was a bit lucky, and our headers just dropped wide.

The flip is, we were a bit fortunate in his first spell, so swings and roundabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.