2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we need to replace him with someone who has leadership qualities and won't be unavailable 90% of the time. It seems fairly obvious.
We could make him our non playing captain!! I get the same feelings of panic when he plays, to be honest, as I do when Keane is playing, don’t see much difference between the two of them and as young as Branthwaite is I think he is calmer than the two of them and will definitely get better than the pair of them.

Look at every decent team in the past and they had a settled CB pairing.

Jags and Stones
Jags and Distin
Jags and Heitinga
Jags and Lescott
Yobo and Lescott
Yobo and Stubbs

Then we started recruiting CBs past their prime like Ashley Williams, scared cats like Keane or brittle Mina and never had a settled back 4.

Godfrey is still not sure what he is. But Mina and Keane need binning.
Not sure where Branthwaite fits in the great scheme of things...but I hope its somewhere.

Really like Mina, but these injuries are too much. If we can get a decent fee, we should sell and bring in someone we can count on.
I think the only hope of any fee at all is to structure a deal like the Dele one, where we get certain amounts of money after a certain amount of games.

But even then I don’t see any club offering him a multi year contract on anything approaching his current salary. Unless he is willing to accept reduced or heavily incentivised terms I think he’s here to wind down his contract next year.

Not sure where Branthwaite fits in the great scheme of things...but I hope its somewhere.
I think he has shown huge promise. He's only 19, which is no age at all for that position.

Godfrey has also shown enough to tell me he's got a good future.

Call me crazy, but I also think there's a chance Holgate turns things around, too. He looked brilliant in that spell pre-lockdown.

Keane is the one I'm least sure about... he's got ability, but at 29 he's running out of runway to improve his confidence - which is his only issue as far as I'm concerned.

Look at every decent team in the past and they had a settled CB pairing.

Jags and Stones
Jags and Distin
Jags and Heitinga
Jags and Lescott
Yobo and Lescott
Yobo and Stubbs

Then we started recruiting CBs past their prime like Ashley Williams, scared cats like Keane or brittle Mina and never had a settled back 4.

Godfrey is still not sure what he is. But Mina and Keane need binning.

Said the same for years to be fair.

Jags and Distin is still the recent benchmark that we've got nowhere near.

Every single one of our main CBs need replacing.

I don't see why it has to be either/or to be honest. You'd be fine to sell all 3 of them in my opinion, and bring 2 in to replace them with Godfrey and Branthwaite making up the other options. Obviously finding buyers is a different matter but i'm just talking about the principle of it.
I agree in principle, but the reality is that we aren't going to sell 3 defenders and buy 2 new ones in one go.

I think he has shown huge promise. He's only 19, which is no age at all for that position.

Call me crazy, but I also think there's a chance Holgate turns things around, too. He looked brilliant in that spell pre-lockdown.

Keane is the one I'm least sure about... he's got ability, but at 29 he's running out of runway to improve his confidence - which is his only issue as far as I'm concerned.
i agree with what you have said there. i say we keep mina though

….its fine folk suggesting Mina has played his last game but he’s only got 12 months left on this contract & might be eyeing a lucrative Bosman, especially if we avoid relegation.

The power rests with players these days and he might not want to leave until next summer.

Lampard should just not tell Keane he's playing until 5 mins before kickoff every week, give him less time to think about stuff and produce like he did on sunday.

I wouldn't sell him. His injuries have been ridiculous, but it seems to be fairly normal these days. Look at city's defenders... They never seem to have the same 2 centre backs fit for more than 1 game.

Mina's injuries are only a problem because the squad is poor. If we had 2 or 3 other centrebacks worth their salt, we wouldn't be as concerned with mina's injuries.
And then we could sell him...

Status
Not open for further replies.