2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their second goal was a freak header from a corner. Nothing to do with the tactical set up from open play.

Not quite, Buendia scored similar one a few months back in the Villa game.

That Brentford goal was coming given the flow of the game. They were shifting the ball around much better than Chelsea did.

No. But we were far too passive in the second half. We let them have far too much unpressured possession too deep in our half. Even with 10 we shouldn’t be letting Eriksen have so much time on the ball.

We invited too much pressure.

There are ways to play with 10 men and that was not it. If you're not going to bother putting a tackle in until they get into the 18 yard box the inevitable is going to happen. We should've pushed up and challenged them to work for their goals. If they play around us, then fair enough but don't just wait for them to score.

I agree with any criticism for the approach to the Watford game. We should have gone for the win. Slight excuse being the three day turnaround with a small squad. We saw the state of Rondon today - difficult to trust players when they behave like that.

But today, not a lot more he could do. Richarlison missed an open goal and guided an effort wide when he should have hit the target before we even scored. Non award of penalty before a red card for another individual defensive mistake and then a second yellow card not being awarded along with the red before half time. Strange set of circumstances. We almost made it 3-1 as well around the 50 min mark. The ball from Richarlison was a bit too high for DCL to slam home. If he scores and we win say 3-2 Lampard is hailed as a genius for keeping on the forwards. The narrative shifts easily.

No. But we were far too passive in the second half. We let them have far too much unpressured possession too deep in our half. Even with 10 we shouldn’t be letting Eriksen have so much time on the ball.

We invited too much pressure.
I wasn't happy with the approach to the second half but in reality we had to play with ten men for 70+ minutes. Lampard was damned if he did what he did and dammed if he pressed higher and Brentford played their way out, beat the press and the team got caught with too few players back. We don't have the type of quality like a Man City so playing with 10 men with a very average team against a side with pace and useful width is a horrible situation to address. The second goal was scored from a corner which is massively frustrating and it was pretty spawny.

I wasn't happy with the approach to the second half but in reality we had to play with ten men for 70+ minutes. Lampard was damned if he did what he did and dammed if he pressed higher and Brentford played their way out, beat the press and the team got caught with too few players back. We don't have the type of quality like a Man City so playing with 10 men with a very average team against a side with pace and useful width is a horrible situation to address. The second goal was scored from a corner which is massively frustrating and it was pretty spawny.

It was a horrible situation but I still think we could've done more. Every chance I'm overrating our players but we should've been able to string a few passes together against Brentford.

Your problem is you don’t want to hear any bad opinions or potential problems for Everton. If people have question marks over the manager and his performances, it’s completely justified. There have been more than a few questionable selections and formations from Lampard, but the last two games in particular have had the alarm bells ringing.

i’m not saying he’s not mate am i?

i’m saying today wasn’t on him

Set us up perfectly for the game but with that said, I don’t think he managed the situation well.

Before they equalised we were getting dominated and it was only a matter of time. As soon as they scored, we should be changing things up.

By the time they were 3-2 up we hadn’t had a shot in the second half, made ~20 passes in over 20 mins, and had 1 touch in their box.

Set us up perfectly for the game but with that said, I don’t think he managed the situation well.

Before they equalised we were getting dominated and it was only a matter of time. As soon as they scored, we should be changing things up.

By the time they were 3-2 up we hadn’t had a shot in the second half, made ~20 passes in over 20 mins, and had 1 touch in their box.

If it's against Man City you hold your hands up and you say fair enough but it's Brentford at home. We could have affected the game more. It just felt so passive.

Hard to know what is the right thing to do when one of only 2 fit centre backs is sent off so early. Maybe would have brought Allan on for Gomes. He bottled out of challenges as per, one in the run up to their first equaliser.
Think the anger about the refereeing decisions will help in the run up to Thursday. He’s previously helped us bounce back we’ll from disappointing performances. Siege mentality and make it horrible for Palace.

Understandably he's walking a bit of a tightrope at the minute with regards to criticising referees but I'd still like him to have been stronger in his post match comments about Oliver's cheating, I mean officiating.

He would have been well within his rights to ask why a half second shirt hold by Holgate was deemed a foul but Janson effectively trying to undress Richarlison for 5-6 seconds was perfectly fine. Or why accidentally denying a goal scoring opportunity 25 yards out as last man is a red card for one team but deliberately denying a goal scoring opportunity 10 yards out as the second to last man doesn't even result in a yellow for another?

That was a criminal performance from the referee today and I would have liked to have seen Frank give him both barrels.

Hard to know what is the right thing to do when one of only 2 fit centre backs is sent off so early. Maybe would have brought Allan on for Gomes. He bottled out of challenges as per, one in the run up to their first equaliser.
Think the anger about the refereeing decisions will help in the run up to Thursday. He’s previously helped us bounce back we’ll from disappointing performances. Siege mentality and make it horrible for Palace.

He should have whipped out the old laptop on the touchline and logged on here. Plenty know exactly how to play with 10 men for 70 mins.

This wasnt like allan getting sent off in the 83rd min v newcastle. 70 mins with a patched up defence. Before the sending off it was Everton 6 attempts at goal brentford 1.

It killed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.