Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
He must ensure that players signed are those he wants. No more undue agent interference or meddling from above.

We need youth, desire, and hunger in the squad.

The most difficult task will be managing on a restricted budget but that means we must shift our focus to where there is more value for money.

Also need to max out our loan quota and see where we can be creative.

All of this is Thelwells job really but Lampard will or at least should dictate the profile of player required and available within our means.

Everything centers on recruitment. We have no room for error.

He must ensure that players signed are those he wants. No more undue agent interference or meddling from above.

The most difficult task will be managing on a restricted budget but that means we must shift our focus to where there there is more value for money.

All of this is Thelwells job really but Lampard will or at least should dictate the profile of player required and available within our means.

Based on his press conference last night it seems as though it’s up to him and Kevin Thelwell all the way which is a good sign

Pickford is an interesting one. Go to Spurs? Sure, why not. But what are you going to achieve. You might get the occasional 4th place. It's not so much as a massive leap as you would think. They are really only an injury to Son and Kane away from tumbling down the league. There is nothing special about them, other than their 2 star players. Plus would Levy really spend what we would ask?
I feel Richarlison is the big money sale this season. Hope not, but he should be in a team fighting for honours.

It's not just the transfer fee. It's the wages that come with any United player.

Holistically I think it's hard to guess what might happen in the summer. Will some of the bigger name players want to stay? Maybe but will those with 2 years left on their current deals want to extend after a season battling relegation? That's a difficult one to answer but something that may need to be resolved.

The other aspect is being able to shift players that aren't wanted, particularly those on big wages. Same issue, but on a different scale, to AWB and United.

The last piece is how much money there is to spend. I'm far from a financial expert and don't try to worry about that side of things too much. But from the little I've heard Covid losses, loss of sponsorship deal and FFP issues may hinder our ability to spend.

There seems to be too many unknowns to say with any certainty that the club should sell players A, B, C... and buy Players X, Y, Z. There might be loads of money to spend. Equally it might be a cost cutting exercise this summer.
As evidenced by the narrow escape from relegation this season by virtue of an insane intervention by our supporters, cost-cutting windows are anything but.

We need to invest wisely, with Thelwell and Lampard holding all the power in decision-making.

There can't be another £1.8 million expenditure or we'll be battling against relegation yet again.

Tarkowski on a free transfer would be a great deal, but I suppose he'll have a lot of offers on the table. Think we'd be sound with him and Godfrey at the back and Branthwaite, Keane and Mina as a squad players.

Nketiah or Brereton are obvious names we should be interested in as well.

I assure you, new players will be bought, old players will be sold, and in a year this wheel will turn again - that's the game.
I'm sure that'll happen.

The Q mark is more around the differential in what is spent (fees and wages) compared to what is brought in.

Will more be spent than is recouped?

Or given some of the potential financial considerations will more need to be recouped than spent (fees and wages)?

I've no idea but that's where the uncertainty lies rather than the fact that players will be bought and sold.

He is on big money and would mean we have two defensive full-backs

Wan Bissaka and Mykolenko. Two full-backs that can't really attack. Be belting fun to watch.
Not necessarily a bad thing. We want attacking fullbacks because of how we played under Moyes. We don't need to play that way going forward and I'd say having 2 competent wide forward players would mean we don't need attacking fullbacks as much and would even benefit from them being a bit more defensive.

The most difficult task will be managing on a restricted budget but that means we must shift our focus to where there is more value for money.

key part there is no interference or meddling from the board.
You've got a DoF, let him do his job. You have a young coach, let him do his. Let them work together and build something. They can't do any worse than what's come before them. Get the next window right (that includes knowing when to sell your better players for the good of the squad) and this horror season, the Benitez experiment and all that came with it may just be the best thing to happen to this club in years. It may just remind those utter clowns in charge that we don't have a divine right to be in this league and that this truly is the peoples club!

Always liked Jack Harrison at Leeds, wouldnt go down well with the Budesliga Disco Scouts though.

Still don't think Gordon has the end product to be a guaranteed starter out wide for us next season.

If we had some cash Johnson or Raphina if Leeds go down would fit the bill.

Pickford is an interesting one. Go to Spurs? Sure, why not. But what are you going to achieve. You might get the occasional 4th place. It's not so much as a massive leap as you would think. They are really only an injury to Son and Kane away from tumbling down the league. There is nothing special about them, other than their 2 star players. Plus would Levy really spend what we would ask?
I feel Richarlison is the big money sale this season. Hope not, but he should be in a team fighting for honours.

I usually agree with believing Spurs are not always as attractive as many tend to assume. But Kane looking to stay and Son seeming to never attract interest from larger teams is important to note. They also have invested pretty well and then theres the biggest factor Conte. Man is unequivocally one of the best. How long he will see out Tottenham is a question but two seasons under him I find it hard to think they don't garner some kind of silverware.

Pickford has been immense, maybe course correcting his worse habits from his younger self. The last year plus he has been stable and commanding I wouldnt have foreseen. He also is clearly the highest value he has ever been at the club. At 28 and considering the project on our hands a sell is pragmatic with the right offer. A year or two he will be in the middle of his prime with a value thats likely plateaued because so. If he is drawing interest it's likely in the clubs best interest to move on. That said beyond Spurs I don't see who it would be in for him.

Can definitely see us going for Gilmour and Loftus Cheek anyway, I'd legitimately look at James Ward Prowse as well just for his set pieces because my god we don't have a single consistently quality option in the whole squad. This midfield needs a real overhaul. We'd be so much better off in the summer if half the team weren't so injury prone. Mina, Godfrey and Calvert-Lewin would all be starters for us every week but they get injured so often. If Patterson can come into a starting role after a pre-season behind him that'd be massive too. CB, 2 CMs and a winger or striker should be the aim.

Hopefully our state of FFP will be much better, lot of out of contract players along with at least Kean going for £30m is a big boost already. At least now if we do lose someone like Richarlison it's gonna have to be for big money because we haven't been relegated. It's always the hope that kills you but let's hope with Lampard and the new DoF working together that they'll be allowed to do their jobs.

As evidenced by the narrow escape from relegation this season by virtue of an insane intervention by our supporters, cost-cutting windows are anything but.

We need to invest wisely, with Thelwell and Lampard holding all the power in decision-making.

There can't be another £1.8 million expenditure or we'll be battling against relegation yet again.
You can only spend money if there's money available to spend - whether that be availability of money or due to concerns around FFP.

Like I said previously, I'm not into the financials. As an educated guess there will be players sold to raise funds, though most players in the squad wouldn't raise lots of funds. There might be some money available for transfers from the club (excluding sales). Just not sure how much money will be available and who we may have to sacrifice to provide funds to re-shape the squad.

Personally I don't see a huge net spend (+50M) this summer but again I'll stress that my guess is based on limited knowledge of football finances.

If we go off what formations Lampard has favoured - 3-4-3 or 4-3-3

We certainly lack in the following areas:
Centre Back
Defensive Midfield
Central Midfield
Striker

We have a lot of contracts expiring:
Kenny - possible new contract
Delph - possible new contract
Alleged No 10 - jail?
Tosun - Turkey
Lonergan - retirement

We also say goodbye to Van de Beek and El Ghazi who won't be sticking around. Plus Kean's transfer activation looks likely he will leave.

Current Squad 2022/2023 - * under 23's

GK - Pickford/Begovic
RB - Coleman/Patterson
LB - Mykolenko/Nkounkou*
CB - Mina/Godfrey/Holgate/Keane/Branthwaite
DM - Allan/Gbamin
CM - Doucoure/Davies/Gomes/Warrington*
AM - Dele
LW - Gray/Iwobi/Dobbin*
RW - Gordon/Townsend
ST- DCL/Richarlison/Rondon/Simms*/Broadhead*

So squad wise, we are weak and need to find some quality but we have tight restrictions so we need to look into our academy and rough diamonds who we need to take a chance on but ultimately get some luck.

Lets hope Lampard is backed, we conduct our transfers fast and those players (DCL, Richarlison, Mina) linked with moves away move fast so we can use the funds to rebuild.

The thing that worries me with the squad;

RB - I think we need to replace Coleman
DM - I don’t think Alan is actually a DM, he would be in the CM category for me. I think this is a problem area, I think when Delph has been missing we have lacked a proper Tackler in there.
AM - I don’t think we can just have Dele, potentially Iwobi could play there or Townsend
ST - for me Richarlison is better out wide, so I wouldn’t put him in the striker category. If we keep him and DCL, we need a better option the Rondon, maybe that’s Simms, but I’m not sure

Running lists of players I Have found interesting that are just around the 20 million or lower market estimate that some might also find interesting. Have more players I want to look at (especially in the striker department at that price point) but these names all I think are worth considering or taking a look at. But the names below I think make sense on transfer fee, age profile, squad/ positional fit and sell on potential.

Centerbacks

1. CB Kim Min-Jae Korea Fenerbahçe
2. CB Ilya Zabarnyi Ukraine Dynamo Kyiv
3. CB Josip Šutalo Croatia Dynamo Zagreb

Defensive Midfield

1. CDM Mohamed Camara Mali Salzburg
2. CDM Ibrahim Sangaré Ivory Coast PSV
3. CM/CDM Nicolas Dominguez Argentina Bologna
4. CDM Khéphren Thuram France Nice

Keepers

1. GK Justin Bijlow Holland Feyenoord
2. GK Predrag Rajkovic Serbia Reims