Expectations For 2022/2023 Season

What are your realistic expectations for the 22/23 Premier League season?

• Europa League/Europa Conference League qualification (5th - 7th)

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Top half finish (8th - 10th)

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • Mid table (10th to 13th)

Votes: 98 54.4%
  • Bottom half but safe from relegation (14th - 17th)

Votes: 27 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between mid-table and not getting dragged into a fight is quite small. That's a manageable target for us.

We have to avoid going on extended winless runs, and to do that will have to turn some defeats into draws and improve our away form.

I can see us quite easily not getting a win from a 5 or 6 game streak but when you go on the run we did under Benitez, it's almost impossible not to end up in a scrap whether you actually get out of it or not.

It's very simple when you reduce it down but more difficult in practice. I think we at least have to have a steady start next season. It doesn't have to be any better than that, but enough to provide some encouragement.

Top 7 is highly likely to remain the same assuming Rice and Bowen stay at West Ham. Leicester underachieved the season just gone yet still finished 8th and had a fair few injuries so they will be top 10 again. Newcastle will be in that same tier as well for me so I think 10th place is up for grabs. On the premise we do a decent job with recruitment then I think 10th-13th is likely.

Depends a lot on recruitment but I’ve seen positive signs from Lampard that he’s capable of getting a decent percentage of wins, especially at home.

Ideal world is top half, a few statement wins to help change the mentality of the club (derby wins, away at top 6, last minute winners etc.) and a proper go at both domestic trophies.

60 points is always the target for me. Even with a poor squad I still expect us to win most of our home games. We all know the power of Goodison and have seen it the last few weeks. We just need our away form to be any way decent.

We should be aiming for 50 points or thereabouts - an increase of 25% would be progress.

We lost 20 points this year from last season. That was totally unacceptable.

A very early poll, but it’d interesting to see what are fan’s expectations for next season. Some options overlap slightly.

I’ve left cups out as I feel we need to concentrate on the league primarily. Any cup run would be a bonus for me. Baby steps and all that.

Poll will close the day before the first fixtures are expected to be played on 5th August. Votes can be changed.

League position anywhere we are completely feeling safe all season (cbs with another one like this at my age)

But with the caveat we finally have a summer and season where we can see what the long term plan is, recruiting for a system and for a future rather than constant changes and fire break decisions.

Bring in players who will develop and get rid of the ones who already see this as the last 'money' stop in their careers.

If I was forced to give 'realistic' expectations - then mid table.
As a 'glass half full' type that doesn't stop me from hoping for better though.
It shouldn't be unrealistic to expect that players will give 100% every single game.
It would be difficult for us to be one of the top teams because the fact is we just don't have enough top players. The players we do have need to play to their optimum every single game. That is probably Lampards biggest challenge.
Results are ultimately what matters, but as long as it's clear to see that the team are fighting for results the crowd will remain right behind them.
Confidence is everything in football. Get off to a good start and who knows?

Honestly I’d take mid table provided we show genuine improvement and it’s clear that Lampard/Thelwell have a long term strategy that will bare fruit

After this season I just hope we’ve learned enough to ensure we’re not fighting for survival again

Get to 40 points and then we’ll see where we are
Talking of long term strategies whatever has happened to the "strategic review" ?
Seems to have gone very quiet with the same board & director's in situ.
Looks to have stopped after Unsworth getting punted.

Just the usual lip service to me.

8th to 10th and a cup win for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.