2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he did with his statement has shown true character. Football and life in general need that character and bravery. Dom, you are a really good man and I hope you are proud of yourself and I bet your family are all also rightly proud, if you were my son, I certainly would be.

For some, they've just never liked Dom, for whatever reason. Not his clothes or personality, but they've never taken to him as a player, always thought he wasn't good enough and weren't willing to accept they were wrong once he'd worked his balls off to get to where he did after that first lockdown, and even the form he'd shown before that under Carlo.

For others, I think it's a coping mechanism. He hasn't been present a lot this year due to the injuries and when he has been back after that lay off his performances have been iffy at best. Some people put that down to a lack of effort, even though to me it was clear the effort was there, he was just a bit all over the place. But I think with all the rumours of teams being interested, and the fact that even if we'd stayed up we'd have to sell one of the big assets, it makes it easier for people to cope when one of those big assets isn't in the team. i.e. 'he won't be missed anyway' etc.

If he goes he goes and his goal has ensured we'll be able to get good money for him. We move on, but he'll have been a good player for Everton who will have signed for £1.5m and probably generated a profit of £48.5m at least. Not bad going.

For some they wrote him off early doors and have point blank refused to admit they were wrong, so they've created reason after reason to have a go at him whilst never giving him any benefit of the doubt

It's kind of incredible actually. I don't think I've seen anything as bad as this with people not wanting to admit they were wrong on the internet in regards to a football player

I’m not surprised some people lash out at DCL – envy is a fundamental part of the human experience.

Dom is eloquent, a physical beast, a talented player and ludicrously good looking to boot. You’ve just got to let that envy pass over you and move onto the acceptance stage; he can carry a handbag and still be twice the man you could ever hope to be. And that’s okay.

I have no idea why anyone ever gave him a hard time. He's a likeable lad and has been one of the top 3-4 performers in our side for the past 2-3 seasons.

In any event most people never think about the injuries that are inflicted on players, especially strikers - and when someone goes through 6,7, 8 months worth of workplace illness (injury) it's tough. Most likely training alone, maybe not in a family environment at home. Staring at 4 walls.. Just look at how we saw the team celebrate last Thursday with beers in the changing room - these days one rarely sees footballers out on the town (especially in the season) - it might seem trivial to us but giving up your normal everyday life for a career can have its toll (despite being fantastically remunerated) and the career can be over in a moment. Perhaps that too will have been on his mind all season.

We need to understand why some Evertonians like to chase out their goal scoring strikers. Usually because they don’t show undying devotion to the badge forever and that makes them all insecure.
The thing is with Dom is unlike Lukaku, tbf, he's never once done anything to show he isn't committed or has seen Everton as a stepping stone.

Maybe he does, but that's perfectly natural, as he's a footballer with a short career. But it's never been reflected by a lack of effort. He had a god awful injury this year and came back into a team in one of the worst downward spirals we've seen, yet people still went down the 'he's just lazy and crap' route

What people don't realise about footballers is that they don't have the same childhood as other kids. They sacrifice a lot for football and most of them don't make the grade. Players that do make it can go on and become very well off. If, like DCL they get a serious injury I'm sure it's going to affect them mentally after devoting their whole life to the game. Whatever happens with Dominic I wish him nothing but a good life be that at Everton or anywhere else. He doesn't owe anyone anything for getting to where he is through sheer hard work and talent.

@GrandOldTeam if this account isn't permanently banned by morning for a comment like this there's something seriously wrong with this forum.

Absolutely no time for this type of post.

No matter the post or issue;

'Playing The Ref'
Attempting to moderate the forum by stating what should, and shouldn't be discussed or attempts to get another user banned by posting things such as "abuse! ban him!" is totally unacceptable, and will not be tolerated on this forum. This is basically the internet equivalent of a footballer waving the imaginary yellow card at a referee, and is completely unhelpful. If you see a post that you believe is in violation of the forum's Rules and Guidelines or Terms of Service, it would be highly appreciated if you could use the "Report" function to bring it to our attention.

Same to a few others - this isn't Twitter. Pre-emptive criticism if your perceived action isn't taken in your timeframe will see your account lashed.

On topic/leave the moderating to the moderators.

If you'd rather see blatant homophobic posts directed towards an Everton player that's fine, I'll stop bringing things like that to the mods attention.

If that's your view on our moderators, then see you later friend.

The point was clear, use the report function - as you did/plenty of others did "to bring things like that to the mods attention". Moderators, moderate. Don't then publicly pre-emptively criticise moderators based on potential action and try to dictate to volunteers who provide a platform free of service to you.

Love the support coming out for DCL.
Like Iwobi, Davies, Kenny...even Delph & Tosun - we should support our players while they are ours. We are not watching training or picking the team, our job is just to support and enjoy 'football criticism' not personal criticism - even if they're rubbish for us they are ours!

Status
Not open for further replies.