Transfer Rumour Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we keep signing this type of midfielder?! It hasn't worked once for us. Hopefully he wants to stay in London and goes to CP.

Mate, we've spent the past 6 years (at least) buying slow midfielders who can't score, assist or tackle from the so called big clubs and from relegation fodder just because they can make a pretty pass once in a blue moon. Most of them have been in the second half of their playing careers and have been on massive wages. We've then spent 60-80% of the length of their contracts trying to move them on with no success because nobody will touch their wages. If we spend actual money on Winks and sign him to a multi-year contract then we have learned the sum-total of nothing these past few years. Winks will want 4 years and six figures a week, even if we barter him down to 3 years and £80K a week then we have just swapped Delph for Winks (except Delph left on a free and Levy will want £20m for Winks). It's a terrible idea.

We shouldn't be paying anything at all. The only arguments I have heard in favour of Winks is that Lampard is apparently going to be playing possession football next year and Winks doesn't want rid of the ball like a hot potato and that he is better than Davies and Gomes. Hardly positivist stuff, is it?

Also, when haven't we overpaid for established talent (I use talent in the loosest sense) from the PL? Not since the Moyes years, as far as I can tell. We are not a well run club, we seemingly refuse to scout outside our own backyard - the only players we buy are from the PL, established stars from the big European leagues, and, bizarrely, from teams we have just played in Europe (that won't be a problem for a while) - we seemingly never gamble on developing our own talent, whether that be our own youth team or buying younger players from abroad. Winks is just a furtherance of this imaginationless approach.

Can't shoot, assist or tackle. Is proper boss at passing the ball 5 yards sideways. In other words he's Gomes. Just smaller and uglier.
Will put you down as a ‘maybe’.

Our super informed professional football employees have presented us with Sandro, Tosun, Bolasie, Delph, Rondon etc.. all on massive wages. Forgive me if I have lost faith in the Everton football hierarchy in terms of their ability to talent spot.
You're quite right.

But as we have a new manager, a new coaching team (mainly) and a new DoF perhaps the hit rate will improve?

By all means, send your CV in. You never know!

Couple of years ago he was one of the first names on the England team sheet, similar to Alli he's fallen off a cliff at Spurs for whatever reason. It's obvious what Lampard wants this summer, established players who are on the decline and who he thinks he can get back to the top of their game. We saw this with Dele in Jan. Wouldn't surprise me if we end the summer with just 3 in: Tarks, Winks + McNeil.

Oh lord, no, I would be terrible. Doesn't stop me from being able to see that the previous incumbents were doing a bad job!
If course it doesn't! We have had a disasterous run. But as you said, the PREVIOUS INCUMBENTS.

The prevailing attitude here and on other forums/twitter is whoever we're linked with (seriously linked with) is a complete waste of time and money.

We're also guilty of judging signings on their first 10 games, quite often less. We had that tit making up stories about Duncan and Mykelenko, and worryingly, masses of people taking his fantasy story as gospel.

Any new player coming into this massively underperforming bunch of wastrels should be welcomed. Nobody knows how it's going to work out.

Can you imagine if the Internet was around when Kendall signed two perma crocks in Peter Reid and Andy Gray? He'd be laughed out of town.

Everybody needs to chill a bit and just try to enjoy the footy (which can't come back soon enough, so we have something meaningful to discuss)

Harry winks perfectly sums up our transfer failure since moshiri took over.

20 fkn million for an average limited midfielder is a good start for our new DOF. The baton is firmly in the hands of Thelwell.

Wonder if we could get him on loan? That would be ideal if he’s a target. We already got mugged off on the Dele deal IMO, though that was largely our own fault for using our last loan spot on a player we didn’t need.

The Dele deal was good...it could become very good

View attachment 170975

I actually think we need someone like Winks to replace Delph, but it's just so uninspiring and typical. Spurs will mug us off on the deal no doubt.
We were almost relegated so having Tarkowski + Winks as 'stable' players that can deliver 6/7 out of 10 performances each week could give us some consistency.

Probably fair to be honest.

Hes what just turned 26. He is good on the ball, probably better in possession than any of our midfielders. The issue is that his style of midfielder has gone completely out of fashion, in no small part because they just get overrun.

If it was me, I'd want to get much bigger, more physical players. I'm not sure we could protect or carry Winks enough, and I'm not sure Winks is ever going to be good enough to pick passes in a side like ours.

But if it's under 10m, it's a pretty low fee and he could slot in well.
If we sign Winks it means were going 3 in midfield and he's obviously at the base in the deep lying playmaker role.

We could call it the current Jorginho / Thiago role. Both of those teams love these two players and both are in the top 4.

If you look at that Spurs team under Pochettino they had Dele + Winks both playing for England and rated as two global names who would go far. Both cratered when Pochettino and Mousa Dembele left.

Lampard seems similar to Pochettino in terms of positive man management...we may see Doucoure or Gallagher as the new Dembele to help them become more effective.

We'd have loved to have Dele and Winks in Pochettinos final Spurs season.
Couple of years ago he was one of the first names on the England team sheet, similar to Alli he's fallen off a cliff at Spurs for whatever reason. It's obvious what Lampard wants this summer, established players who are on the decline and who he thinks he can get back to the top of their game. We saw this with Dele in Jan. Wouldn't surprise me if we end the summer with just 3 in: Tarks, Winks + McNeil.

I think Lampard wants to go for English players who have experience...thats Dele, Tarkowski and now Winks.

In addition I think he'll be after younger players like KLP as well.

A lot of posters (including me) want to see us sign the next big thing from overseas...or even a hidden gem from the French 2nd division or wherever.

But i think Lampard could work wonders with a team full of English players with a sprinkling of young foreigners.

If we signed Tarkowski, Winks, McNeil, KLP, Colwill and Gallagher id be very happy this window.

The Dele deal was good...it could become very good

We were almost relegated so having Tarkowski + Winks as 'stable' players that can deliver 6/7 out of 10 performances each week could give us some consistency.

If we sign Winks it means were going 3 in midfield and he's obviously at the base in the deep lying playmaker role.

We could call it the current Jorginho / Thiago role. Both of those teams love these two players and both are in the top 4.

If you look at that Spurs team under Pochettino they had Dele + Winks both playing for England and rated as two global names who would go far. Both cratered when Pochettino and Mousa Dembele left.

Lampard seems similar to Pochettino in terms of positive man management...we may see Doucoure or Gallagher as the new Dembele to help them become more effective.

We'd have loved to have Dele and Winks in Pochettinos final Spurs season.

I think Lampard wants to go for English players who have experience...thats Dele, Tarkowski and now Winks.

In addition I think he'll be after younger players like KLP as well.

A lot of posters (including me) want to see us sign the next big thing from overseas...or even a hidden gem from the French 2nd division or wherever.

But i think Lampard could work wonders with a team full of English players with a sprinkling of young foreigners.

If we signed Tarkowski, Winks, McNeil, KLP, Colwill and Gallagher id be very happy this window.
If he was that good as Jorge and Thiago they wouldn’t be selling him

Stop coming up with reason why a bang average player will be good for us.

Not got a strong opinion on this lad either way. But he seems like a functioning midfield player and we could desperately do with one of them.

I am almost certain there will be similar or better to be found across the continent or the lower leagues and for less of an outlay, though.

Same here. I think he's always come across as a player who looks busy without actually doing anything at all.

He just doesn't look physically imposing, mobile enough or demanding of those around him when I've seen him play.

On loan by all means....or maybe we'll do a deal and swap him for Dele. We could keep exchanging their cast offs until we get the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.