• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait - have I got this right ? He was good enough for PSG, one of the world's best teams, but he's not good enough for Everton ???

Last season he had the same number of appearances in midfield as Di Maria and Wijnaldum, in a team that also included Mbappé, Neymar and Messi. You know what, even if we signed Mbappé, some fans somewhere would be muttering "never gets any goals from corners that lad".
His presence in the box for corners is lacking

A loan would have been lower risk to me. 2 years is not huge risk but its higher risk than a loan.

I'm not sure this is good recruitment. We need to stop signing older players on high wages.

It's fantastic recruitment mate, you bring in a player who knows the club and area so no adjustment period or risk of not settling, knows the league and performed at an incredibly high standard in it, and who has actually improved as a footballer since he left.

Yes he's 32 and by the end of a two year he'll be 34 but who cares, he's not showing any signs of slowing down so can feel pretty confident even if he does start fading a bit he's coming from that high a level the drop off would still comfortably see him better than anything we have even next season.

It buys us time to fix other areas of the squad, have a great player at the heart of a quite youngish team and in two years time the club should be in a much stronger financial position.

It's fantastic recruitment mate, you bring in a player who knows the club and area so no adjustment period or risk of not settling, knows the league and performed at an incredibly high standard in it, and who has actually improved as a footballer since he left.

Yes he's 32 and by the end of a two year he'll be 34 but who cares, he's not showing any signs of slowing down so can feel pretty confident even if he does start fading a bit he's coming from that high a level the drop off would still comfortably see him better than anything we have even next season.

It buys us time to fix other areas of the squad, have a great player at the heart of a quite youngish team and in two years time the club should be in a much stronger financial position.
Someone mentioned the other day,Fernandinho is now 37, at 35 he was probably still the best DM in the league. Gueye has not played much for PSG so still has miles in the tank. I think on a 2 year deal he will be great and this is a no-brainer signing.

I think it would be good to have him back, and I loved him when he was here, but he can't be our only signing for centre midfield.

Also, I feel like the club would have to talk him into some sort of renouncement of homophobia. We can't have known anti-gay sentiment at Everton, it's just not on.
Is he anti gay or just doesn’t want to promote homosexuality due to both his religious and cultural beliefs?
Is he not allowed to have his own opinions however distasteful they may be to others?

Not seen anything from him that suggests his has said or done anything remotely homophobic bar not wanting to wear some LBGTQ promotional gear (if he has then I would condemn it too)
Incidentally said promotional gear was provided by his employer (Qatar) who just so happen to have the death penalty under sharia law for homosexuality (3 years porridge for non Muslims)
If anyone wants to be offended by anything to do with this whole state of affairs it should be directed at the hypocritical whoppers who own PSG.

….regardless of religion, it’s just a wrong view he expressed. I think this is more about educating him and there is no better way of doing that than for him & his family living in a society where such things are not only tolerated but accepted as normal.

Let life experience take its course, if he never changes his view it’s a sad reflection on him.
This. As a society we surely want people to improve. He comes from a society which treats gays viciously. As long as he's not personally treating gays viciously then that's a win in my book. Even if he continues with a tutting disapproval of homosexuality then I'm fine with that. He's just a generation or two behind most of us in the West. Most of our grandmother's held the same views. If he doesn't accept homosexuality then chances are his Western educated kids will.

The thing is that hes 33 in September so whats changed about his play since he left?

Very hard to gauge if he could do 60mins or be the guy on for the last 10.

A loan or a deal for under £5mil would make sense for 1 year + 1 year option.

Romano seems to think its a loan when hes in the last year of his contract...

The players you listed and correctly said were midfield 'anchors' arent reliant on energy or stamina...more positional intelligence.

Gana really is a duracell bunny...very different.

He's technically improved a lot since leaving imo

Someone mentioned the other day,Fernandinho is now 37, at 35 he was probably still the best DM in the league. Gueye has not played much for PSG so still has miles in the tank. I think on a 2 year deal he will be great and this is a no-brainer signing.
He's played 105 games in 3 seasons for PSG mate.

That is indeed testimony to the level he is at atm.

Wait - have I got this right ? He was good enough for PSG, one of the world's best teams, but he's not good enough for Everton ???

Last season he had the same number of appearances in midfield as Di Maria and Wijnaldum, in a team that also included Mbappé, Neymar and Messi. You know what, even if we signed Mbappé, some fans somewhere would be muttering "never gets any goals from corners that lad".

lol

This. As a society we surely want people to improve. He comes from a society which treats gays viciously. As long as he's not personally treating gays viciously then that's a win in my book. Even if he continues with a tutting disapproval of homosexuality then I'm fine with that. He's just a generation or two behind most of us in the West. Most of our grandmother's held the same views. If he doesn't accept homosexuality then chances are his Western educated kids will.
He did a fund raising thing for Aids/HIV victims in Africa, raised quite a bit of money and by all accounts made sure all his team mates took part.
So like most of us has a bit of good and bad about him.
Just a man brought up in a different culture , with different views doesn't make him a bad human being.
I hope we sign him, he will add to the team definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.