2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is fair.

A talented player but without the mental toughness needed for the premiership.

I also think he is a player better suited to a league which is played at a less hectic pace.

A consideration that many fans do not take into consideration when mentioning players we should sign.
I think he'd thrive if he went back to a league like Portugal. The sooner he's no longer our concern, the better.

His best season was his loan and he’s been frankly crap since.

The leg break didn’t help either.
This is basically it.

We can tie ourselves up in knots trying to explain why (I won't have the "post-injury" argument, though, he'd gone poo well before that), but it doesn't really matter.

I think he cares and I think he tries but whether it's a confidence thing, or something else, there's no semblance left of a player that has even the remotest chance of being anywhere near good enough for our squad, and that's the most damning indictment you can give any PL midfielder at the moment. I truly hope he gets a move because it would be harsh for him to be as hated as he surely will be by us if he ends up here to the bitter end.

Rumours flying around that he could be going home. It will have to be a partial subsidised loan as I don't think Benfica, Sporting or Porto would want him and nobody else in that league would pay all his wages. I'm surprised a Turkish team hasn't been knocking on Kevin's door with a begging bowl.
If he leaves, what would his Everton legacy be apart from hundreds of heartbroken housewives?

Rumours flying around that he could be going home. It will have to be a partial subsidised loan as I don't think Benfica, Sporting or Porto would want him and nobody else in that league would pay all his wages. I'm surprised a Turkish team hasn't been knocking on Kevin's door with a begging bowl.
If he leaves, what would his Everton legacy be apart from hundreds of heartbroken housewives?

Dont even think he's that good looking anymore.

Turned up looking like a playboy nowadays looks more like Cain Dingle.

I think he's a prime example of how important mental toughness is in football.

When there's no pressure on him (like when he was here on loan) he looked a decent player. Could dribble out tight positions, had a range of passing and looked a cool customer on the ball when we first got him on loan.
No pressure on him when he was a loan signing, he was heading back to Barca if it all went wrong.

The second there's any pressure on him, a must win game, the side under pressure, he folds like a blag tenner.
The Palace game was a prime example. He looked like he didn't want the ball anywhere near him. His positioning was awful and when the ball did come to him he just hit it away seemingly blindly, as if he was scared of the responsibility of taking possession. Hauled off at half time, wouldn't be surprised if this is the game that finished him here in Lampards mind.

Seems a lovely fella off the pitch and it's sad to see it not work out for him, but he crumbled under the pressure of being a Barca player and he crumbled under the pressure of a struggling side. Seems like he just can't hack the pressure of this level of football.
It also put a lot of doubt, in my mind anyway, of where Lampard stands as a manager picking Gomes for that game, most fans were asking when the team was announced v Palace “Why has Gomes been picked“? At least Frank had the guts and the nous to take him off at half time. Even when he doesn’t play he’s an handicap with the wages he picks up, who decided to sanction this deal after watching him in his loan period. If he is still here he wants a good coat of looking at!!

It also put a lot of doubt, in my mind anyway, of where Lampard stands as a manager picking Gomes for that game, most fans were asking when the team was announced v Palace “Why has Gomes been picked“? At least Frank had the guts and the nous to take him off at half time. Even when he doesn’t play he’s an handicap with the wages he picks up, who decided to sanction this deal after watching him in his loan period. If he is still here he wants a good coat of looking at!!

As for sanctioning the deal think it was between Ancellotti and Moshiri.

I seen a report which said we were looking for between £15 and £20 million; if our new DoF can get anything for him and get his wages of the books he will be a miracle worker.
I think if he was in a slower, less physical league he could be a very useful player, Portugal does seen a good fit for him.

His visage in the changing room after the Palace match said everything...he's not invested, in the slightest. Sat there like he was in another world...head down, hat on...like some sort of outsider. Stuff like that drags a team down.

To be fair I'd do the same. His 45 minutes against Palace nearly sent us down. If I was him I'd be embarrassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.