Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Individual signings for me can only be viewed properly in the context of building a team mate.

What I'm seeing here atm we are actually building a side piece by piece with an idea of how it all fits together.

It has me very very optimistic
Same here, but only if it happens. I've still got massive doubts this will happen.

These things dont happen to Kenwrights Everton.

Also, and it may not make a huge difference, but players will look a tthe club and put it in the 'pro' list of pros/cons. Last season the supporters showed their backing to the entire squad. Players will see that and go I wouldn't mind that.

I'm not saying that's a reason to choose Liverpool over London, but could be a small pro in the debate of where to go. It may be that Lampard when speaking to him has said he will play, he is integral, where West Ham have said he would compete with Socuek, Rice etc. We dont know.

The supporters have made this club more attractive to players with their support. I can't imagine Iwobi had a nice word to say about teh fans until the end of last season, understandably so.

By reports the lad is a very intelligent guy, we know Lampard is too, so if they have spoke can see that having a big influence on the player

I agree buddy. I think there has been a realisation at Everton, perhaps when Brands decided enough is enough, that the structure is appaulling and the jobs for the boys can't continue unless the boy has qualities on offer. It works the same way with coaches too, you dont have to get in a top top coach initially, but if you have a top coach there, who can guide that coach, its an investment.

I just was making the point that I dont beleive for a second Brands had the control that a DOF should have.

Kevin Thelwell, appears to have much, much more control.

On Bill - not sure myself. He shouldn't be at the club, he stabilised us under Moyes, and I would be thankful for that. We shouldn't forget his lies, his theatrics. I worry he is still having a strong say. But we are where we are nad me whigning about it on an Everton forum wont make any difference.
Looking at the transfer strategy we had, or importantly the lack of, I suspect his influence was way below what was required, with too much external meddling.

That's not excusing him of any blames, however it appeared disjointed and as if the decisions were being made by a number of different individuals.

Thelwell appears to be making acquisitions that'll improve us now and more importantly as part of a long-term plan - the ol' jigsaw analogy.

It may mean that we don't always get everything we desire in the here and now, but the priorities are being addressed with pieces coming together.

In terms of Bill, if the club really want to rebuild then they need to look at the failures of the board, which includes Bill. He should be sidelines and moved on.

I like Thelwell mate, he comes across differently to Brands - think Brands liked being the focal point and in the spotlight, think Thelwell is a bit 'boring' and just sees it as his job to do what needs doing.

To me Brands biggest failure was he had no experience of how English football worked. To expand upon that I'd say:

1) English football is a much bigger industry, so inevitably more "fingers in the pie". You have to know how to navigate this, as you wont get the purity you have in Germany and to a larger extent Holland

2) With the additional funds comes scrutiny. Everything is examined, is huge detail. You dont get to have a 3 year plan of not doing well, without it being called out. It makes for much shorter term thinking.

3) Sort of linked, but the Dutch league is a selling league, the PL is a buying league. So the structures/culture that he probably just assumed existed here dont. He left the academy really untouched for 2 years, and even the changes he made were smaller compared to what Thelwell has done first.

4) He was working for orgs that were at the top of their league. That gives you advantages. PSV are like say Chelsea, or City in our league. You can mess up, but will never really drop below 5th or 6th. If you mess up at Everton, you can be relegated.

It seems like Thelwell is starting with the academy, but also may be able to exert some influence on partners in the process (see fingers in the pie). Its not about being solely in charge, but being able to give influence in key moments.

He also seems to be negotiating hard. This is something Brands did too, but Thelwell seems to be doing it even more. A lot of walking away from deals. Like MGW, when Wolves wouldnt do ball, he goes and completes on McNeil instead.

If we can get Onana and Gueye over the line, and maybe a striker on loan he will have done well. Like he will have sorted a lot of areas, for a similar spend to what we recieved for Richarlison.

Individual signings for me can only be viewed properly in the context of building a team mate.

What I'm seeing here atm we are actually building a side piece by piece with an idea of how it all fits together.

It has me very very optimistic

This will sound a bit wise after the event, but after the Kiev game, I thought if we persist with that formation, Onana would be perfect for the midfield 2 role. He can be a pivot, but also have a bit of freedom to roam around. Hed also not have the same expectation on him as if he was the key sitter in a 433 type formation, as you just have what defensive cover.

I think some of us underestimate our stature in the English game and I mean for players who watch from afar from other countries, and the pulling power of Frank Lampard, I mean what he achieved as a player not so much a manager just yet but I bet it has some influence on players decisions especially midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.