2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent two of the three gone on to win major trophies. I was never really a big fan of Del myself.

Couldn't you throw Wayne Rooney into the mix to - there is litany of players who have left Everton for other clubs and gone on to be very successful at other clubs.

I dont understand the point you are making - players have left us and in your opinion haven't been successful - despite 100s of millions in fees changing hands and winning trophies - therefore everyone who is talented at Everton will leave and not be successful, i dont think thats a very good pathway to be judging potential player retention on mate.

Ive posted reams above on why i think hes quality mate - just this morning - but obviously we are all fallible here as we arent involved in the game - but i refer to the market - what have Bayern, Spurs, Newcastle and Chelsea seen that disproves your opinion - your putting your chips down on you being a better judge of a player then scouting Dept of Cl winning clubs - would not give you pause for thought?
I'm not saying Gordon won't go on to be a good player. I'm saying it's more likely he won't though.

Also I don't think the Rooney example is comparable. Everyone could see Rooney was one of the best players in the league already when he was at Everton and going to be world class. With Gordon its not even certain that he is good enough for the Premier league yet.

I don't believe any stories talking about no bids when Joyce, Romano, Bobble, BBC have all said there was a bid rejected. It looks like a club briefing things to try and make it look like they want to keep the player. But that just makes me think that it's now pretty inevitable he will leave.
Yeah the only ones reporting that there's been no bid are the "bad" sources and people with connection to the club in terms of fan wise like Myers or the Echo but no real actual news sources. Actual journalists like Romano and Joyce who couldn't care less about saving face for the club are reporting there's been at least one bid. He'll go and it'll be for probably around that £50m that Chelsea are said to be preparing, the club want to get ahead of it though and present it as if they wish to keep him no matter what, when in all honesty they're probably happy to see him go at that sort of price.

I really do think the club would be insane to reject it out of hand, THEN offer him a new deal. We'd be further adding a limit to ourselves for no reason when if anything this could be the single moment in the past 2 and next 2 years that could set the club in motion for success and being run properly. This lad simply is not worth keeping if it means the club is still in shambles.

Honestly, I don't believe the Echo on this one. Bobble, Romano and Joyce all said there was a bid.

I think Romano just gets his information of Bobble regardless.

But if Sky and the Echo are running with no official bid, then you’d probably better believe there’s been a bid. Not got an ounce of credibility between the pair of them.

Yeah the only ones reporting that there's been no bid are the "bad" sources and people with connection to the club in terms of fan wise like Myers or the Echo but no real actual news sources. Actual journalists like Romano and Joyce who couldn't care less about saving face for the club are reporting there's been at least one bid. He'll go and it'll be for probably around that £50m that Chelsea are said to be preparing, the club want to get ahead of it though and present it as if they wish to keep him no matter what, when in all honesty they're probably happy to see him go at that sort of price.

I really do think the club would be insane to reject it out of hand, THEN offer him a new deal. We'd be further adding a limit to ourselves for no reason when if anything this could be the single moment in the past 2 and next 2 years that could set the club in motion for success and being run properly. This lad simply is not worth keeping if it means the club is still in shambles.

There is no guarantee that selling him suddenly makes us stop being a shambles though. This isn't a straightforward decision for me.

There is a point where we probably have no choice but to accept the offer, say if they go above £50m. But we then need to reinvest the money very smartly to have a good chance of staying in the premier league. There are risks with that approach too and there isn't a whole lot of time left. Every club in europe will know we have cash as well. I can see it going wrong.

Last edited:
How do they find this information. A second bid on top of 40 million could be 50???? You couldn't make that up. Has to be from a source.

I'm not saying Gordon won't go on to be a good player. I'm saying it's more likely he won't though.

Also I don't think the Rooney example is comparable. Everyone could see Rooney was one of the best players in the league already when he was at Everton and going to be world class. With Gordon its not even certain that he is good enough for the Premier league yet.

So we are down to subjective opinion mate.

You dont think he will prove a top top high quality player, i think he will.

I dont think there is a formula to prove it one way or the other.

Thats the long of the short of it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.