2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are so so bad at the transfer market. Like the worst club in the past decade at this. It seems like no one in the league is better at selling low and bidding against ourselves for players we want. Chelsea seems to really want the guy, so stick a huge price tag on him (say 1/3-1/2 more of what Chelsea offered) and stick w/ the price, it sends a message to the player that hey, we'll sell you, they just have to meet our price and maybe they just don't you all that much if they don't spend (not to mention that there are other clubs who would want him). It also sends a message to other clubs that if you want our players, we'll name the price. Clubs like spurs/RS do this, and they always get their money. FFS Spurs got 50+M for Kyle Walker and that was 5 years ago. Not to mention Chelsea just ponied up 60M for Pulisic a couple years back, a dude who lost his starting position at Dortmund, they'll pay.

I don't think Lampard leaving is at all off the cards here. Worryingly, I also think Lampard being sacked is not off the cards.

I said a while ago, I wasnt sure Moshiri fancied him. He may well be of the view that hes just not supporting Lampard financially.

One thing to note, Moshiri was almost entirely absent from the heroic survival. I dont even think he said well done to the manager. I found that really strange.

Gonna take a guess here mate, I'm pretty sure Blue Bill is back running the club, I think Moshiri has effectively disconnected from us at some point last season and pulled away from any decisions whatsoever now.

An alcoholic doesn't cut down he stops, a serial meddler and attention whore like Moshiri doesn't cut down involvement he just stops completely.

Having to sell a major asset to avoid dire consequences for the club (despite nothing said from the league btw, given we where working and running things past them - why did they allow buys in January?) Then reinvesting part of that money not all, then late in the window selling a home grown player - whose pushing for the move even though we really tried to keep him etc and that money will disappear in large part.

This is straight out the Kenwright play book on how to do stuff and get away with it.

Think back to the very first rumour on Gordon leaving, it came via Kenwright meeting Levy, it's been planted back then in preparation for this sale now, I'm pretty sure the idea was to manipulate a sale of Gordon from day one

What do we think the ceiling is for Gordon’s value. If we sell him now as a young English player for £50 million, how much will he be worth in 2 seasons?
Could be worth 5 million could be worth 100 million. His career could go either way at the moment. If he doesn’t get get time he will be Barkley 2.0 waste of years. If he does get game time and playing regularly with better players, could make him a top player. So we have to go on what is more likely at present from the last few years of development. For me now just my opinion think best case he will be a decent prem player. So would I take 50 million personally yeah. But for the people make the decisions at everton that’s the gamble they have to make.

The worry for what it's worth, is not "how do we replace 4 goals" as is trotted out. The Gordon who ended last season wasnt the same player who started it. He started the season, behind Townsend in the pecking order, having bombed on loan at Preston. He ended the season as one of (if not our best) our best players.

Whatever people think of him, he improved enormously. In simple numbers, it took him time to get going, but he got his 4 goals the 2nd half of he season, in a woeful team devoid of any confidence.

Even a very simple and modest exercise would be to say, if he gets 4 goals in 1/2 a season, he will get 8 in a season if he stays fit. That's without factoring in potentially better team, he continues to improve, asked to play in a more attacking way with less defensive expectation etc.

That I suspect will be Lampard's thought process. If Gordon can get to 8 goals, he replaces the 7 goals from penalties Richarlison scored. Theres probably then a hope that Iwobi, Gray and McNeil can get 8-10 between them, to help cover what Gray Gordon and Iwobi for last year. So essentially McNeil replaces Gordon and Gordon replaces Richarlison.

That was factored in with DCL to be fit and get more than 3 or 4 goals too.

What we have now is a major question mark. I dont know who we bring in, but we have lost our 3 most reliable goal threats. 2 to sales and Calvert Lewin hasnt looked anywhere near the same level post injury. Its alarming.

You can see in the first two game the team is well coached, and set up but lacks any substantive threat at the top end.

2 of his goals were against Brighton under Benitez end of September/early October Catcher.

The other 2 was against Leeds in Feb and Utd in May.

Even take the narrative we are 'rebuilding'.

Let's look at the business.

Coadey and Vinagre are both loans so unlikely given our finances either will be turned into a permanent deal.

So we have added a 29yo Tarkowski.
A 22yo McNeil who has zero end product and frankly is slow as f.
We have added 21yo Onana - who looks potentially very good.

We have sold 25yo Richarlison psst seasons top scorer
We have sold 21yo Gordon. Last seasons player of the season.

We are weaker now than last season, and we are losing the players who can make impacts and change games in exchange for 6-7/10 players.

We had 4 sellable assets by seasons end, Richy - sold, Gordon - sold, DCL - injured (but remember the background links with a move to the barcodes - have to suspect that was groundwork being laid for him 'asjing to leave'.
And Pickford - new contract but a keeper so no real demand for him atm.

We're selling two and would have sold a third this summer if healthy I believe of the 4 sellable assets we had.

Clap.
Clap.
Clap.

I've been shouted down constantly for weeks for saying the squad is weaker and is not going to be strengthened.

The proof is in the pudding. We have sold our best player and are about to sell our best young player.

We've signed a couple of defenders on the cheap, a promising centre midfielder - let's hope that one works out, but also an extremely average left midfielder and no forwards.

This summer's business been as bad as every other year before it. Unless we make big changes in the next 15 days, then we are bound for relegation.

Could be worth 5 million could be worth 100 million. His career could go either way at the moment. If he doesn’t get get time he will be Barkley 2.0 waste of years. If he does get game time and playing regularly with better players, could make him a top player. So we have to go on what is more likely at present from the last few years of development. For me now just my opinion think best case he will be a decent prem player. So would I take 50 million personally yeah. But for the people make the decisions at everton that’s the gamble they have to make.
I guess that’s my point we could just as easily regret not taking this fee if he stays, doesn’t kick on or gets injured and his value tumbles. I think the likelihood of him becoming a £100 million player is low maybe £70 million. On balance as long as we get the right players in I think £50 million may make it worth while for the club.

I guess the big questions; he has 2 years left on his contract, have we offered him a new one? Will he sign it?

If the answer to either is no we have to sell now, or his price drops.

It's 3 years left.

I'm starting to get cynical over this because I've saw 2 reported incorrectly in a few places. I think this is a deliberate error to fit the narrative.

I've been shouted down constantly for weeks for saying the squad is weaker and is not going to be strengthened.

The proof is in the pudding. We have sold our best player and are about to sell our best young player.

We've signed a couple of defenders on the cheap, a promising centre midfielder - let's hope that one works out, but also an extremely average left midfielder and no forwards.

This summer's business been as bad as every other year before it. Unless we make big changes in the next 15 days, then we are bound for relegation.
Hi, I'm doom and gloom Tim, nice to meet you.

All of this is absolutely unnecessary negativity for you and others.

There's still a couple of weeks left yet.

For all you know, we sign Gana, Terrier AND Gibbs White after Gordon leaves and we're all absolutely buzzing.

Relax. There's time.

Hi, I'm doom and gloom Tim, nice to meet you.

All of this is absolutely unnecessary negativity for you and others.

There's still a couple of weeks left yet.

For all you know, we sign Gana, Terrier AND Gibbs White after Gordon leaves and we're all absolutely buzzing.

Relax. There's time.

There's no forward there and one player I don't want, one I know little about and one who is hugely overpriced.

I will definitely not be buzzing. Anyone who is buzzing over that sort of business should find a new hobby - football isn't for them.

We've had people buzzing all summer over our business to date. These people are letting the club off the hook and really don't understand football or recognise the precarious position we are in this summer.

Gonna take a guess here mate, I'm pretty sure Blue Bill is back running the club, I think Moshiri has effectively disconnected from us at some point last season and pulled away from any decisions whatsoever now.

An alcoholic doesn't cut down he stops, a serial meddler and attention whore like Moshiri doesn't cut down involvement he just stops completely.

Having to sell a major asset to avoid dire consequences for the club (despite nothing said from the league btw, given we where working and running things past them - why did they allow buys in January?) Then reinvesting part of that money not all, then late in the window selling a home grown player - whose pushing for the move even though we really tried to keep him etc and that money will disappear in large part.

This is straight out the Kenwright play book on how to do stuff and get away with it.

Think back to the very first rumour on Gordon leaving, it came via Kenwright meeting Levy, it's been planted back then in preparation for this sale now, I'm pretty sure the idea was to manipulate a sale of Gordon from day one

Yes lots in that mate.

I said as much last night. When that story emerges from Maddock, who knows Bill well, I knew hes gone. Its Bill's attempt to say "he went because he forced us to sell him".

All the news around it was odd too. Like the denials of absolutely never selling him, that were pumped out just felt a bit too contrived at the time, and looking back was purely a PR exercise to benefit themselves, not the club.

As for Moshiri and his role, I make you correct. It looks like the consequence of the review is Kenwright and to a degree Baxendale get more control. Theres no accountability there, or even close to accountability.

I worry Moshiri will occasionally just pop his head in though, and one of those decisions will be he gets someone he wants over Lampard. The caveat is, that's not based on any footballing rationale, but on what an agent is telling him.

For what it's worth, Kenwright will not put his neck on the line for anyone. I would go as far as to say, if Moshiri asks questions he will offer Frank up as an excuse.

There's no forward there and one player I don't want, one I know little about and one who is hugely overpriced.

I will definitely not be buzzing. Anyone who is buzzing over that sort of business should find a new hobby - football isn't for them.

We've had people buzzing all summer over our business to date. These people are letting the club off the hook and really don't understand football or recognise the precarious position we are in this summer.
Oh believe me, you don't strike me as the type of guy to ever consider himself in a state of 'buzzing'.

Jesus wept.

Oh believe me, you don't strike me as the type of guy to ever consider himself in a state of 'buzzing'.

Jesus wept.

Why would those players after losing Richarlison and Gordon make a successful transfer window?

There's no way that would strengthen the squad.

I'm not being negative for the sake of it. I'm trying to get people to start being realistic and to realise the direction of travel at the club. People are in for a big shock this season with their unrealistic expectations with this dreadful squad.

Yes lots in that mate.

I said as much last night. When that story emerges from Maddock, who knows Bill well, I knew hes gone. Its Bill's attempt to say "he went because he forced us to sell him".

All the news around it was odd too. Like the denials of absolutely never selling him, that were pumped out just felt a bit too contrived at the time, and looking back was purely a PR exercise to benefit themselves, not the club.

As for Moshiri and his role, I make you correct. It looks like the consequence of the review is Kenwright and to a degree Baxendale get more control. Theres no accountability there, or even close to accountability.

I worry Moshiri will occasionally just pop his head in though, and one of those decisions will be he gets someone he wants over Lampard. The caveat is, that's not based on any footballing rationale, but on what an agent is telling him.

For what it's worth, Kenwright will not put his neck on the line for anyone. I would go as far as to say, if Moshiri asks questions he will offer Frank up as an excuse.

Yup I concur.

Rooney or Brown shoes as manager by next summer at the latest

Status
Not open for further replies.